v Crystal Palace (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Good goal from 'the messiah' too mate,I know you didn't mean to miss that bit out.

Now now kash , quality goal from Martin but if you read my views on Martin I make it clear that at this point he is pretty much on par with waggy and Marriott and each has their strengths and weaknesses , the manager can make a case for picking or dropping any of them above the other ,my problem is with those that can only see Martin and yes think he is the messiah that makes everything better

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Archied said:

Now now kash , quality goal from Martin but if you read my views on Martin I make it clear that at this point he is pretty much on par with waggy and Marriott and each has their strengths and weaknesses , the manager can make a case for picking or dropping any of them above the other ,my problem is with those that can only see Martin and yes think he is the messiah that makes everything better

Just a bit of fun archied....

They all have their strengths and weaknesses for sure,just Martin has less of the latter ?

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Just a bit of fun archied....

They all have their strengths and weaknesses for sure,just Martin has less of the latter ?

I know mate?,,, with our current squad there’s plenty of times I would go with Martin and the promising thing with cocu is that he sees that too with Marin having his value to us and getting game time with the others

22 minutes ago, Archied said:

I know mate?,,, with our current squad there’s plenty of times I would go with Martin and the promising thing with cocu is that he sees that too with Marin having his value to us and getting game time with the others

It's a squad game nowadays and it's fantastic if the boss has options for each position...if those three are all up and firing on all cylinders,then that can only be a good thing.

Well that was a bit of a turn up that I wasn't expecting.

Palace played a pretty strong team, and we made 9 changes - albeit, a large number of those 9 you would ironically call the "first team" not too long ago. Amazing what the academy lads have done to change that.

Massively aided by the Premier League style of defending space rather than flying into tackles, so Rooney and Huddlestone had the time and space do what they wanted to do. Whether we could cope in the Championship with both of them in the same team in that position will remain to be seen but it certainly worked in this game.

Thought Sibley showed again he's not out of place in the first team picture. Really looking forward to his continued involvement to see where he could go. Bogle also looked like he had regained some of that form that he had prior to the Forest error, maybe the couple of games out was what was needed. Roos had one dodgy moment, but other than that, certainly showed that he is that much better with his feet than Hamer that he's still a better option in my opinion - not that either of them are ideal. Mr Tickle managed to reaffirm that he is a distant second choice to Max Lowe on that performance too.

12 hours ago, Archied said:

My views on Martin haven’t particularly changed as whilst we pay him we should look to use in him in whatever capacity the manager wants to - sure he has faults but he has more strengths and the one thing we can always say is that he actually enjoys playing and scoring for Derby county and always wants to

The Guardian's take on the Rams:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/06/fa-cup-third-round-10-talking-points

7) Derby too good to languish so low

Derby County’s victory over Crystal Palace was ultimately another game in which the use of VAR became the main topic of discussion. Rightly so given the potentially pivotal use of the pitchside monitor by the referee, Michael Oliver, but that should not completely take away from an assured display by Phillip Cocu’s men against opponents who sit a division above them. Wayne Rooney was key to that but there were also impressive showings from others in white and black, in particular Curtis Davies and Tom Huddlestone, and watching on there came the strong sense that Derby have too much experience as well as quality to be 17th in the Championship for much longer. Derby may not reach the play-offs – they are currently eight points off Swansea in sixth – but a serious push up the table should be well within their reach.

6 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

The Guardian's take on the Rams:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/06/fa-cup-third-round-10-talking-points

7) Derby too good to languish so low

The manager suddenly seems to have an embarrassment of riches. I don’t envy him the task of juggling his many ? ? ? 

It looks like we have turned a corner and there are many factors in that. The emergence of Jason Knight seems to have inspired the other young players. The addition of Wayne Rooney has also raised the bar. Now we just need to find a way to carry a bit more goal threat and go on a good run. 

COYR ??????

2 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Skip to 1:45 to see @B4ev6is loving the bounce.

I laughed way too much after 6 or 7 seconds when that woman got off the coach and there was a "woo" sound which I'm not sure if it came from her mouth or the backing track.

29 minutes ago, KCG said:

Go back a couple of matches or so and there were many saying how poor our squad was, whereas people like Ella and me were saying we could get them into the top 6!

Well there's the small matter of one Wayne Rooney having joined the team, Hudds returning at his imperious best and the dramatic improvement in the likes of Bird and Knight before you get too smug. Likewise, last time I checked, we're still not in the top 6.

A last point would be that a couple of matches back you were firmly in the 'Cocu out' camp so there's that too ?

One thing I told myself yesterday to point out:

From 77 minutes to about 82 minutes, Derby kept the ball beautifully. Palace could not get anywhere near us. It was a bit like watching Man City toy with an opponent before they grab another goal. Patient, thought out build up play that was honestly just a joy to watch...even if it was from the wrong end!

I think we have seen, in the last two games, the first signs of the Cocuball that turned PSV into the dominate force in Holland. Super excited for Boro now.

IMG_20200105_164739.jpg

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

One thing I told myself yesterday to point out:

From 77 minutes to about 82 minutes, Derby kept the ball beautifully. Palace could not get anywhere near us. It was a bit like watching Man City toy with an opponent before they grab another goal. Patient, thought out build up play that was honestly just a joy to watch...even if it was from the wrong end!

I think we have seen, in the last two games, the first signs of the Cocuball that turned PSV into the dominate force in Holland. Super excited for Boro now.

IMG_20200105_164739.jpg

Now despite my handle, I don't want to be a TOTAL mood hoover, but.........

........I seem to recall around the time of Preston (I think) that similar sentiments were being expressed. The players were finally "getting it" etc etc

Only for us to launch into another woeful run of abject performances......?

Are our players all goldfish, so that once they have "got it" they then instantly forget it and have to relearn from scratch????

4 hours ago, Srg said:

I laughed way too much after 6 or 7 seconds when that woman got off the coach and there was a "woo" sound which I'm not sure if it came from her mouth or the backing track.

I spotted what happened to huddlestone I start var chant lucky it worked.

Archived