The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

20 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

There will be a far lower number of tourists to bring in the virus in the first place. 

Not sure how tourist figures in jan feb March stack up comparing the U.K. numbers against India and a cold out of season U.K. ,that said it’s already in India so let’s see 

mexico ,Thailand’ and others might be worth a look too 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not sure how tourist figures in jan feb March stack up comparing the U.K. numbers against India and a cold out of season U.K. ,that said it’s already in India so let’s see 

mexico ,Thailand’ and others might be worth a look too 

I'd assume Business Travel, and overseas  Students and foreign workers returning to the UK after the Xmas break would far surpass tourist visits.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Of course, if he wasn't knobbing someone else's wife and breaking the rules he'd help set, he wouldn't have had to resign.

true. But why did it take a month for story to be leaked?

A rich rich from bonking Boris don’t you think?

Just now, RamNut said:

Probably jealous!

I do see your point though, viper pit at the top.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Demand will soar to over 200k requests end of this month.

200k is only an ambition.  I still have no problem Hancock having set a 100k target. He does however look a right tool “massaging’ the figures on the 30th to get above the target, and then failing miserably every day thereafter to get anywhere near close again. Perhaps his eye has been off the ball over the last few days doing some fact finding:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjOqP_opKDpAhUEKuwKHYxrAtgQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNursing_home_care&usg=AOvVaw0nBDzVtnzL4EwmRWfs_PC9

7 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I'd assume Business Travel, and overseas  Students and foreign workers returning to the UK after the Xmas break would far surpass tourist visits.

It may well do ,I don’t know the figures but would be interested to know but what we do know is that it is in those countries and they locked down later than us , how fast it spreads and death rates was the question in overcrowded poor conditions 

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

That’s a fair question but totally nothing to do with the fact it’s true ,what it says about him and what it says about his belief in the policy he is telling the rest of the country they must follow?

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

200k is only an ambition.  I still have no problem Hancock having set a 100k target. He does however look a right tool “massaging’ the figures on the 30th to get above the target, and then failing miserably every day thereafter to get anywhere near close again. Perhaps his eye has been off the ball over the last few days doing some fact finding:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjOqP_opKDpAhUEKuwKHYxrAtgQFjAAegQIBBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNursing_home_care&usg=AOvVaw0nBDzVtnzL4EwmRWfs_PC9

Boris pledged it in PMQ’s 

Well,

He mentioned he’d wants to get to 200k at the end of the month and Sir Kier thanked him for the pledge. ?

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Yes. I totally agree. 

a bit cruel to throw her and her family under the bus just because they want to destroy mr lockdown.

nasty people these politicians.

Apparently there'll be no bus to throw them under, The Wife and Husband had an open marriage, Ferguson and Staats new each other from Med school but hooked up on OkCupid app, A site for couples who like their married life, But would like that little bit extra, Her Husband was in agreement with this even meeting Ferguson and talking about Data/Figures.

Just to juice the story up, It's reported that "German" Staats lives in a £1.9 million home in South London, Mr Lucas is the grandson of Battle of Britain RAF pilot and former Conservative MP Percy 'Laddie' Lucas.

Last but not least Mrs/Miss Staats was quoted as saying "I prefer a good German sausage to an English chipolata sausage anyday of the week, But in times of great need i'll take what's available"

The cheek of her aye.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-test-keir-starmer-downing-street-a9501691.html

This story completely sums up todays media

Headline - Boris Johnson's promise of 200,000 tests per day...

Paragraph 1 - Boris Johnson's apparent promise...

Paragraph 5 - Mr Johnson also said the government’s ”ambition” was now to hit 200,000 by the end of May

And this is all in an article where they are accusing the Government of watering down.

I really wouldnt wipe my arse with this rag.

31 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Boris pledged it in PMQ’s 

Well,

He mentioned he’d wants to get to 200k at the end of the month and Sir Kier thanked him for the pledge. ?

Trump picked up on this interaction having also heard that the virus can be sexually transmitted. Millions of cans of Pledge have been ordered so American men can ensure their wood is kept scrupulously clean. Joe Biden in response has asked Charlie Sheen to campaign with him.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Trump picked up on this interaction having also heard that the virus can be sexually transmitted. Millions of cans of Pledge have been ordered so American men can ensure their wood is kept scrupulously clean. Joe Biden in response has asked Charlie Sheen to campaign with him.

Sometimes I think he ought to think outside the box a bit.

Question for you folks. If lockdown restrictions are eased and after a week or two the infection and death numbers begin to consistently rise again what would you prefer we do? Re-introduce the previous lockdown measures or something else? 

No right or wrong answer I suspect on this, but a second wave of this is a genuine concern and would need to be dealt with in some way should it happen. 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Question for you folks. If lockdown restrictions are eased and after a week or two the infection and death numbers begin to consistently rise again what would you prefer we do? Re-introduce the previous lockdown measures or something else? 

No right or wrong answer I suspect on this, but a second wave of this is a genuine concern and would need to be dealt with in some way should it happen. 

If the NHS can cope, back to normal (whatever the new normal is) for me.  With the proviso that those in protected groups should continue to be supported by the Government should they choose to carry on self isolating. 

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm in favour of opening up as much of the economy as the NHS can cope with. 

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Think I owe you an apology on that point.

Although it obviously looked shady how the numbers jumped so rapidly in testing, I was comfortable as I thought the numbers would be maintained.

The number have dropped rapidly post 30th April and we are told it is due to demand not meeting capacity.

I'd be more than happy for Matt Hancock to be questioned why demand was supposedly much higher on 29th and 30th April than in the subsequent days.

I expected this to happen and I'm sure I posted somewhere to the effect of a massive scaling up at the end of the month, dropping away before reaching the 100k mark again 2 weeks in to the month.

Prediction for the rest of the month: 2 weeks of slowly increasing to around 120k, then big jumps to almost 200k on the 31st. A few days before the end of the month will probably see testing opened up to the entire population with symptoms.

One of my fears is that the NHS gets forgotten again once the virus is under control. 

We will go back to our old ridiculously frantic lives, forget we ever went for walks and take everything for granted. 

The new normal will soon become the old one. 

11 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm in favour of opening up as much of the economy as the NHS can cope with. 

....which means you understand that a lot of people are going to be very seriously ill as a result.

Archived