The Politics Thread 2020

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Which would be another reason why arbitrarily and publicly setting the target at 100,000 is just daft. 

The testing is the capacity which will be needed moving into the next stage are you really that hard up you have to monitor the figure to catch someone out?

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Which would be another reason why arbitrarily and publicly setting the target at 100,000 is just daft. 

Setting a point in time target for this sort of thing was a poor way of expressing the need.

It needed to have been expressed as "achieving a sustained daily testing rate of at least six thousand".

The fact that the daily testing numbers quoted were increasing so much and the furore about what was actually being counted as a test suggests there has been excessive focus on just getting over an arbitrary line rather than having sustained capability and execution at the sorts of levels the country needs. 

15 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Setting a point in time target for this sort of thing was a poor way of expressing the need.

It needed to have been expressed as "achieving a sustained daily testing rate of at least six thousand".

The fact that the daily testing numbers quoted were increasing so much and the furore about what was actually being counted as a test suggests there has been excessive focus on just getting over an arbitrary line rather than having sustained capability and execution at the sorts of levels the country needs. 

It’s the weekend too

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I know the Royal Mail don't do deliveries on a Sunday, not sure about Yodel. So of cause the test numbers are down.

Some people are so quick to criticise they miss the obvious. 

13 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Testing numbers now back well below 100k. Was the target only applicable on one day or something? 

I am not especially anti -Tory or Matt Hancock..but I think we can safely assume (by the trends we saw) that they manipulated distribution or the counting mechanisms in order to reach the target. 

I think anyone saying otherwise is being incredibly naive. Rather they were just honest. 

Seemed an arbitary figure so probably no shame in not meeting the target. I don't follow the meetings ...bored of the spin and the media trying to pick holes in stuff. 

I kinda like Boris and Hancock being honest. Definitely prefer them to much of the media, Piers, Corbyn and much of the Labour front bench of the last few years, just hope Keir starts offering a realistic opposition soon. 

14 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Something tells me you have never had to drive a Project in your life. Without that target, testing would still be in the lower thousands,. 

More people would probably die in future, but that's OK you'd be happy.

11 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What do people think of the idea that virus may have escaped/come from lab in Wuhan ? 

It certainly isnt beyond the realms of possibility is it?

Youd like to think that Governments didnt have weapons that could cause such destruction but guess it's a fact of life that they do.

One noticeable thing is that when Trump suggested this it was 'deflecting the blame' and 'covering his own back'.

But now Australia, New Zealand and Canada are suggesting it, people seem to entertain the idea.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Youd like to think that Governments didnt have weapons that could cause such destruction but guess it's a fact of life that they do.

One noticeable thing is that when Trump suggested this it was 'deflecting the blame' and 'covering his own back'.

But now Australia, New Zealand and Canada are suggesting it, people seem to entertain the idea.

To be fair though, Trump throws so much poo at the wall, with accusations & conspiracies that he is bound to get one right eventually. Not saying that this is, by the way.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Something tells me you have never had to drive a Project in your life. Without that target, testing would still be in the lower thousands,. 

More people would probably die in future, but that's OK you'd be happy.

Absolute nonsense.

They could have done this one of two ways, they could have set a more realistic target and hit it (or at least got bloody close) or they could have been honest with the numbers for the target they did set. Had they come out and said "We have successfully tested X number of people and we are awating the results on X number of postal tests" I would have kept my mouth shut on this.

I have been involved with and accountable for a number of projects, none of which were targetted on figures based on little more than a finger in the air punt and certainly none of which involved reporting progress at project meetings with manipulated figures.

29 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

To be fair though, Trump throws so much poo at the wall, with accusations & conspiracies that he is bound to get one right eventually. Not saying that this is, by the way.

Hope he bleaches the walls afterwards.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It isn't. But there's no evidence so far that says it is.

It's less likely it came from outer space on a meteorite, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. 

And I suspect China aren't the only people with labs studying all manner of biological warfare. I expect we do too. If it was an outbreak from a secret UK laboratory, I doubt anyone would own up about it.  It's a great smokescreen to throw around to evade any criticism for Trump. Obviously China will deny it (of course, they would, wouldn't they?), nobody proves or disproves it, Donald can wash his hands of responsibility. The reality is wherever it came from national governments has a responsibility to react, which many did too little or too late (or both).

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

It's less likely it came from outer space on a meteorite, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. 

And I suspect China aren't the only people with labs studying all manner of biological warfare. I expect we do too. If it was an outbreak from a secret UK laboratory, I doubt anyone would own up about it.  It's a great smokescreen to throw around to evade any criticism for Trump. Obviously China will deny it (of course, they would, wouldn't they?), nobody proves or disproves it, Donald can wash his hands of responsibility. The reality is wherever it came from national governments has a responsibility to react, which many did too little or too late (or both).

Porton Down.

24 minutes ago, TramRam said:

Porton Down.

Which ironically is also were Mrs VdM has to take samples of her artisan ice-cream for analysis to ensure it is safe for distribution to the public...........

.....using my ever fertile marketing imagination I sense we could be offering a new flavour later in the summer - Conevid........?

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Not sure there is any evidence that it has come from Wuhan seafood market yet either, other than China saying it?

This latest report has nothing to do with Donald Trump as far as I am aware?

Archived