The Politics Thread 2020

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/03/2020 at 22:10, 1of4 said:

Not any more, the chancellor didn't just strip it bare. He pulled it up by the roots, put it through the chipper and turned it into mulch.

As for paying for all the chancellor's borrowing. One can assume that the government won't ask the wealthiest top one percent of the country to contribute a little more, to help reduce the nations debt. No that burden will fall on to the same shoulders that paid for the bankers rooster-up. People further down the wealth ladder, those who were less able to afford to pay the extra costs incurred.

That has to be THE most childish response ever. .. oh if the government hadn’t supported people you’d have been there saying they are lining their pockets while people suffer. PATHETIC .. this is a global crisis and all you and want to do is make some left/right cheap political point .. you really need to look at yourself in the mirror.

3 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Boost SSP higher temporarily and provide more grants for businesses. Morale thing to do.

Sadly, the "right/morale" thing to do normally comes at a cost that is not always affordable and. increased SSP won't help anybody laid off.

He also announced cash grants for smaller businesses. 

I'm sure there is plenty more they would like to do but there really isn't a money tree growing in the garden of 11 Downing Street. The measures already announced sound like they are going to cost an arm and a leg. Finally, things are changing daily. Who knows if further measures will be announced later.

I'm guessing you're a labour voter (I personally have no real political allegiance), I suspect a labour government would have found it difficult to do much more. This is the biggest health and economic crisis we have faced in a very long time.

The Government have got on top of this economically and I expect more measures and more money to be provided by them. Now let's see what the banks have to offer additionally, increasing overdrafts comes to mind. Then UK companies that are in a good position financially too. There was a report a few months back that highlighted cash reserves had never been so high, up to £450bn and counting. Some need to come out and begin investing, providing some payments for services, etc, they don't expect to receive until the worst of this is over.  

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Looks for sure now that we will have to extend the transition period. Can see this being till the end of 2021 in reality.. No problem for this Brexiteer. More important things for everyone to focus on..

Far more likely to agree a free trade deal too now. Worst case scenario with that, now looks like a mole hill in comparison to this. 

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Chancellor offering loans to support businesses . Vintage Tory, prioritising to make sure they're not out of pocket first. 

Everyone in work in the private sector either works for a business or owns a business. Without these businesses then jobs in the public sector don't exist either. Without either of these nobody out of work or retired receives money. People's savings and pension schemes are invested into businesses. 

WTF are you talking about? 

24 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sadly, the "right/morale" thing to do normally comes at a cost that is not always affordable and. increased SSP won't help anybody laid off.

He also announced cash grants for smaller businesses. 

I'm sure there is plenty more they would like to do but there really isn't a money tree growing in the garden of 11 Downing Street. The measures already announced sound like they are going to cost an arm and a leg. Finally, things are changing daily. Who knows if further measures will be announced later.

I'm guessing you're a labour voter (I personally have no real political allegiance), I suspect a labour government would have found it difficult to do much more. This is the biggest health and economic crisis we have faced in a very long time.

I expect further measures. Giving every household £1000 for example, would only cost £28 billion. 

2 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I expect further measures. Giving every household £1000 for example, would only cost £28 billion. 

Why would you give every household £1000 out of interest?

Surely giving that £1000 to an employer to pay wages would make more sense as this would keep someone in a job  and there would potentially be tax and nic payable on that £1000.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely giving that £1000 to an employer to pay wages would make more sense as this would keep someone in a job  and there would potentially be tax and nic payable on that £1000.

I don't disagree, but people will need it asap. Either way it will almost certainly happen, one way or another, merely due to how small the figure is in comparison to this stimulus package, currently and that in the US they plan to do this too. 

2 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Chancellor offering loans to support businesses . Vintage Tory, prioritising to make sure they're not out of pocket first. 

Another class post demonstrating vision and understanding of how the world works. Doubtless the writer doesn’t go to pubs, football stadiums, restaurants and super markets and never needs a heating engineer, builder or garage. 

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Same where I work. Very fine line between being sensible and going home and the persistent skivers taking the piss. 

Thought your place of work would be ideal for self isolating.

21 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

The British government has announced it would support up to £1bn of state-backed lending through the British Business Bank, as part of a wider £12bn package of support for households and firms. High street banks will also raise their lending by around £21bn.

The French state will underwrite additional loans worth €300bn (£273.3bn), more than 300 times the level of UK support. Last week, Germany said it would expand lending at its KfW state-backed investment bank from €460bn to €550bn.

It looks like the money tree has wilted again.

It appears someone has watered the tree again. You must be pleased.

6 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

when NHS and social care is on its knees we are toLd it is due to underfunding (!). What i dont get is When poo happens and we need the NHS very badly the money forest never mind tree  is there! 

How does that work ?

You read the Guardian too much?

4 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I dont. If it had been a communist or most extreme right government, i d have asked the same question. Whatever you read, you dont seem to have much of an answer either from your reply

I can't read. 

This is weird - you all know I'm a leftie ******, but politics is out the window right now. For once we are literally "all in this together"

Covid-19 does not differentiate between red and blue. In 2008 we had to bail out the banks because the risk of them failing would have destroyed the fabric of society, We are now in the position where we have to bail out the labour market itself. Whoever is in charge - they have no choice

I think a lot of people are realising the sand on which capitalism built it's house

48 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

when NHS and social care is on its knees we are toLd it is due to underfunding (!). What i dont get is When poo happens and we need the NHS very badly the money forest never mind tree  is there! 

How does that work ?

You do realise the extreme amounts of money we, as a country, are going to have to borrow over this right?

That will have to be paid back somehow in future years.

I'm sure the NHS and social care could have massive cash injections, but how would people feel if it meant them paying an extra 2 or 3% in tax or nic?

I'm guessing that a lot would all of a sudden not be so keen on improving the NHS.

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

That would depend if your on a zero hour contract .  If so it's better in your bank as the employer has no requirement to keep you in work .  I have no issue with money being spent elsewhere, but someone on a zero hour contract is likely to hit a financial crap hole faster than most if they have a sole income. I am however developing an issue with why the mortality rate here is currently around six times higher than Germany and four times higher than France .  And what is happening in that giant piece of land between Asia, Europe and  China called Russia ?

Archived