The Politics Thread 2020

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Not really, why would RR have problems? 

Without a licence from a recognised authority body, any plane fitted with R-R engines would be unable to fly through the airspace covered by that body. So if the EASA and the CAA don't have an agreement with each other, then R-R powered planes would be banned from flying over most of mainland Europe.

Until the CAA can prove to the EASA it as the expertise, yes I know this is a dirty word to some on here, to be a competent and able regulating authority.  Any agreement between the two authorities may be a long time in coming.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Without a licence from a recognised authority body, any plane fitted with R-R engines would be unable to fly through the airspace covered by that body. So if the EASA and the CAA don't have an agreement with each other, then R-R powered planes would be banned from flying over most of mainland Europe.

Until the CAA can prove to the EASA it as the expertise, yes I know this is a dirty word to some on here, to be a competent and able regulating authority.  Any agreement between the two authorities may be a long time in coming.

Yes, realise that but surely RR already comply with lots of regulatory requirements as it’s a global business. Are you really suggesting that all aircraft with RR engines won’t be able to overfly European airspace? 
why would the EASA suggest that RR not be ‘competent’? It will all come out in the wash, no need for you to lose any sleep.

More project fear. 
There are 9 protocols I believe that cover overfly rights in the EU. 6 of those 9 are already agreed. There is no gain from either side to not reach an agreement. 

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This thread appears to be devolving in to petty spats now and as such the value of it is decreasing to the point of futility.

I've previously been able to pick up useful takes from both sides but now it's mostly a load of school playground nonsense.

TL;DR - I'm out.

Have you not contributed to that? 

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This thread appears to be devolving in to petty spats now and as such the value of it is decreasing to the point of futility.

I've previously been able to pick up useful takes from both sides but now it's mostly a load of school playground nonsense.

TL;DR - I'm out.

I think the drain the swamp and Tommy Robinson 'debates' are over now, so you should be ok.

Interesting that there was no more TR chat after that video of his racist drug taking bantz was posted, although I preferred his ex-assistant who realised they were manufacturing outrage to make money. There must be someone with more noble intentions who is actually been unfairly silenced. We can then hold them up as our free speech martyr.

Maybe we could find our hero in the civil service?

5 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

TL;DR - I'm out.

You'll probably get a post from @Norman about prolapsed rectums as a reward for that comment.

9 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes, realise that but surely RR already comply with lots of regulatory requirements as it’s a global business. Are you really suggesting that all aircraft with RR engines won’t be able to overfly European airspace? 
why would the EASA suggest that RR not be ‘competent’? It will all come out in the wash, no need for you to lose any sleep.

More project fear. 
There are 9 protocols I believe that cover overfly rights in the EU. 6 of those 9 are already agreed. There is no gain from either side to not reach an agreement. 

It sounds like a business lobby who will potentially have some extra costs. 

The UK are reportedly (FT) building their own regulatory structures to replace EASA. Estimate of costs c30-40m compared to the 3m that the uk pays into EASA.

Directionally sounds right....regulatory structures in general benefit from scale.

So it's a cost grumble not a withdrawal of permissions. I've no idea how significant an extra 30-40m would look on RRs cost base...possibly completely immaterial. 

28 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It sounds like a business lobby who will potentially have some extra costs. 

The UK are reportedly (FT) building their own regulatory structures to replace EASA. Estimate of costs c30-40m compared to the 3m that the uk pays into EASA.

Directionally sounds right....regulatory structures in general benefit from scale.

So it's a cost grumble not a withdrawal of permissions. I've no idea how significant an extra 30-40m would look on RRs cost base...possibly completely immaterial. 

It’s all this 2 and 2 makes 5 rubbish that drives me mad. Once we are past the transition phase, we will have a big chunk in the coffers to distribute around and soften the blow in some areas.

The aero industry is pretty much aligned on a regulatory playing field, it has to be. It’s globally regulated, so no idea why the usual poster even raised it. Just another crap panic post.

22 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Could our government's plan to cease membership of the EASA  be a problem for Rolls-Royce, a major employer in Derby. Could the decision by our government to revert back to having our own regulating authority, the CAA, cause R-R to have difficulties in the manufacture and sale of their engines.

Haha. Great joke !

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

Haha. Great joke !

Glad you enjoyed it. 

Maybe you could give me some feedback on why you thought it was such a great joke.

It will help me in making sure that any posts I make in the future, are as enjoyable for you as my last one

22 hours ago, 1of4 said:

It's the same story with the regulation of chemicals and pesticides. One of the products that my employer sells is  tested and regulated in Austria.  The EU countries share the regulatory burden among themselves,  but I suppose Britain will have to do everything on its own now.

The Tories were always keen on reducing costs and cutting red tape, but now they will have to duplicate all the work done in the EU.

I hope Priti Patel doesn't spread any of that stuff on her garden, as otherwise she might end up with very small marrows if it's not tested properly. 

7 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

It's the same story with the regulation of chemicals and pesticides. One of the products that my employer sells is  tested and regulated in Austria.  The EU countries share the regulatory burden among themselves,  but I suppose Britain will have to do everything on its own now.

The Tories were always keen on reducing costs and cutting red tape, but now they will have to duplicate all the work done in the EU.

I hope Priti Patel doesn't spread any of that stuff on her garden, as otherwise she might end up with very small marrows if it's not tested properly. 

Stop whining. All this detail was clearly laid out during the Brexit referendum so we all knew exactly what we were voting for.

On 07/03/2020 at 19:29, 1of4 said:

Could our government's plan to cease membership of the EASA  be a problem for Rolls-Royce, a major employer in Derby. Could the decision by our government to revert back to having our own regulating authority, the CAA, cause R-R to have difficulties in the manufacture and sale of their engines.

R-R are obviously one of the most respected engine manufacturers globally. There's no reason for any region to suddenly decide they aren't airworthy and it's in nobody's interests to do so. For instance, should the EU say no you can't use R-R engines it would immediately lead to enormous tit-for-tat sanctions and a full-on trade war. For zero good reason whatsoever. So it's not going to happen.

One of my biggest gripes about politics is a lack of transparency.

The National Archive have released some documents about Jimmy Savilles' correspondence and meetings with Margaret Thatcher when she was PM.

And then this....

"Some papers and sections of the file remain withheld from public scrutiny for another 10 years, including a telephone message from Saville to Downing Street on February 5th 1980"

?

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

One of my biggest gripes about politics is a lack of transparency.

The National Archive have released some documents about Jimmy Savilles' correspondence and meetings with Margaret Thatcher when she was PM.

And then this....

"Some papers and sections of the file remain withheld from public scrutiny for another 10 years, including a telephone message from Saville to Downing Street on February 5th 1980"

?

Agreed. 40 years ago. There surely can’t be any content that risks national security (the only valid reason I can think of) and if there is, just censor those bits. Whatever was said about Saville could be released.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Agreed. 40 years ago. There surely can’t be any content that risks national security (the only valid reason I can think of) and if there is, just censor those bits. Whatever was said about Saville could be released.

The implication of anything not being released, even when both Savile and Thatcher are thankfully rotting hell - is that the content somehow implicates someone who is still alive. A cheery thought

13 hours ago, ossieram said:

You don't have to be a part of the EASA. There are plenty of countries that just have a working partnership with it and I'm pretty sure we could have the same arrangement.

ICAO are the guys you have to keep sweet.

On 08/03/2020 at 10:54, ariotofmyown said:

I think the drain the swamp and Tommy Robinson 'debates' are over now, so you should be ok.

Interesting that there was no more TR chat after that video of his racist drug taking bantz was posted, although I preferred his ex-assistant who realised they were manufacturing outrage to make money. There must be someone with more noble intentions who is actually been unfairly silenced. We can then hold them up as our free speech martyr.

Maybe we could find our hero in the civil service?

Yeah the thread is much better when t goes back to an echo chamber for Labour Remain voters, criticising every Conservative policy and reminding Leave voters how stupid they are.

If you think trying to get to the bottom of why thousands of English girls were groomed, drugged and exploited while authorities turned a blind eye to it, is causing fake outrage, I worry about how your mind works.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If you think trying to get to the bottom of why thousands of English girls were groomed, drugged and exploited while authorities turned a blind eye to it, is causing fake outrage, I worry about how your mind works.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51797316

"The former UK equality watchdog chief, Trevor Phillips, has been suspended from the Labour Party over allegations of Islamophobia."

Labour are a complete and utter joke.

Archived