Darren Bent on Nigel Pearson: talksport

IlsonDerby

‘We had him here at Derby. I liked him a lot as a manager, he was very good...’ 

‘he didn’t last very long though’ 

‘I believe he wasn’t sacked due to results but because he and Mel didn’t see eye to eye on the day to day. I think Mel wanted updates on tactical decisions and Nigel isn’t the sort of manager to talk about that sort of stuff, he just wants to be left alone to do his job’ 

apologies, I need to disclose that this is paraphrased because I was driving when he said it, just heard it now and I figured it was worth mentioning though so wrote down what he said to the best of my memory. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said that it was either his way or you were out. He (Pearson) was totally clear about that. 

I didn’t hear him say he was good or that he liked him. But I might be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Pearson had tactics?

Butters, you run up the field very fast after an aimless hoof

Brys you're the defensive midfiald, my Claud Makalele role

Ince, just assume that whatever you want to do at any given moment is the thing i don't want you to do

rest of you just panic around near our own box to lull the opposition into a false sense of total superiority

35 minutes ago, jono said:

I think he wanted to play 442 but that ended up as one striker and wingers who didn’t cross. I can’t remember a Pearson game that I enjoyed. I wonder how Will is getting on with him 

Last 2 games = Subbed at Half Time, not in the matchday squad

Don't think Pearson is the idiot a lot of our fans portrayed him as. He came in and tried to make radical changes in a short space of time ,we a had a big squad too many under performer's and a mish mash of a squad concocted by numerous managers in a short space of time.Unfortunately trying to change so much so quickly didnt produce any results,poor football ,probably a disgruntled team and peeeed off fans, resulting in a quick dismissal. personally believe he would  have sorted us out given the time,although the football was dier in the short time  he was with us, I do believe he identified a lot of problems within the squad but probably didn't confront them in the right way

21 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Don't think Pearson is the idiot a lot of our fans portrayed him as. He came in and tried to make radical changes in a short space of time ,we a had a big squad too many under performer's and a mish mash of a squad concocted by numerous managers in a short space of time.Unfortunately trying to change so much so quickly didnt produce any results,poor football ,probably a disgruntled team and peeeed off fans, resulting in a quick dismissal. personally believe he would  have sorted us out given the time,although the football was dier in the short time  he was with us, I do believe he identified a lot of problems within the squad but probably didn't confront them in the right way

I hated his time as our manager.

There was a lot of "need to break the things that do work as well as the things the don't to build a team in my image of running very fast up the field after a hoof" - People seem to forget he took over a creative, exciting, entertaining team who were just a bit short.............. and decided it needed breaking.

however, I do agree if he'd been given time he'd have made us good at being that kind of team, but in the same way a second season of rowett would've made us better at being a rowett team, it's hard to feel too "yey" about the prospect.

On 02/01/2020 at 19:25, therealhantsram said:

Interesting we've have both Bent and Bryson praise Pearson in the last few weeks. Wasn't expecting that. 

The whole sergeant major thing is a cliche (that Johnathan Greening keeps trying to perpetuate on Five Live and then contradicts).

He’s supposed to be likeable and pretty poor with one to ones with the players. 

The situation was a bit similar to now really. I do think he would've been successful tho. I wouldn't have liked the way they played as much but he did identify the squad rebuild needed much sooner than some other managers. I think he will do well at Watford 

Archived