Darren Bent on Nigel Pearson: talksport

IlsonDerby

On 02/01/2020 at 18:45, jono said:

I think he wanted to play 442 but that ended up as one striker and wingers who didn’t cross. I can’t remember a Pearson game that I enjoyed. I wonder how Will is getting on with him 

Hughes was actually performing well for Pearson before his injury, the general consensus is that before Pearson arrived at Watford, Hughes looked lost but since Pearson has been there, he’s been playing deeper on the pitch next to Capoue and has looked much brighter. I think that’s the difference to when Pearson played him there for us, we didn’t have a natural defensive midfielder to play alongside Hughes at the time. Watford have a lot more physicality, pace and power in their team than we did, which suits Pearson more

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pearson is a very strange, arrogant and paranoid personality.

he will ultimately alienate himself and become ineffectual and angry. 

Can't be fully judged as he wasn't here long enough....perhaps he didn't like some of the things that were going on here and tried to change it....think he would've dealt with joiners arms brigade a lot tougher

I saw an interview where Pearson hinted that his problem was that he agreed to come in and manage in the 'Derby Way' as that was what the squad was built for. He reckoned that was a huge mistake, because he isn't a 'Derby Way' kind of manager. He ended up trying to be a bit Pearson and a bit McClaren and ended up being rubbish - and Mel kept hounding him about the playing style. Eventually, and predictably, they fell out.

With Pearson, you need to go all in or not employ him. Had he been given carte blanche to rebuild from the start in his own style, I'm sure we'd have been in the Premier League by now. Also don't get the comments about poor football. His football at Derby was poor, but that wasn't the style that Pearson produced at Leicester. 

47 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Can't be fully judged as he wasn't here long enough....perhaps he didn't like some of the things that were going on here and tried to change it....think he would've dealt with joiners arms brigade a lot tougher

Think he might have been in the Joiners!

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Thought it was Anya and Vydra, the one good thing he did do; purely because the lad found his shooting boots and we sold him for a profit.

tbf Vydra has never really lost his shooting boots,  it's the rest of his game that's lacking. If you look at his shots to goals ratio it's always been impressive.

Last season he barely got a sniff for Burnley but when he did he was still a 1 goal for every 3-5 shots kinda guy.

The problem is that he just doesn't get the same chances at PL level and his overall play can't make up for it.

3 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Thought it was Anya and Vydra, the one good thing he did do; purely because the lad found his shooting boots and we sold him for a profit.

Vydra was a good player with genuine pedigree meanwhile Anya was nowhere near that standard 

On 04/01/2020 at 11:14, cannable said:

The whole sergeant major thing is a cliche (that Johnathan Greening keeps trying to perpetuate on Five Live and then contradicts).

He’s supposed to be likeable and pretty poor with one to ones with the players. 

he is apparently very different behind the scenes, he doesn't like the media side and barely tries to hide it at all, the players at Leicester that were here under him love him to this day

On 04/01/2020 at 14:30, RamNut said:

again see above, don't judge him on his media persona

On 04/01/2020 at 15:25, CornwallRam said:

I saw an interview where Pearson hinted that his problem was that he agreed to come in and manage in the 'Derby Way' as that was what the squad was built for. He reckoned that was a huge mistake, because he isn't a 'Derby Way' kind of manager. He ended up trying to be a bit Pearson and a bit McClaren and ended up being rubbish - and Mel kept hounding him about the playing style. Eventually, and predictably, they fell out.

With Pearson, you need to go all in or not employ him. Had he been given carte blanche to rebuild from the start in his own style, I'm sure we'd have been in the Premier League by now. Also don't get the comments about poor football. His football at Derby was poor, but that wasn't the style that Pearson produced at Leicester. 

correct you have to let him do his own thing, when he came back here after Sven was sacked practically the first thing he did was sign Morgan and bin off our then record signing and club captain Matt Mills, if he doesn't like your attitude you're out, he installed a group of strong minded good characters that to this day still run our dressing room, fall foul of them and you will struggle.

Not having Shakespeare was big as well, he's struggled in his jobs without him as he is a superb middle man and confidant for him.

Had you left him in charge longer he would have sorted a lot of your issues out off field, provided you backed him, our infrastructure regarding training and player recovery etc. is all based off of Pearson's demands

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

Had you left him in charge longer he would have sorted a lot of your issues out off field, provided you backed him, our infrastructure regarding training and player recovery etc. is all based off of Pearson's demands

What issues off field?

He was useless. 

The football was crap, the results were crap. He signed Chris Weale. 

He played players out of position when he didn't need to. We were the lowest scorers in Britain

There was no improvement on performances while he was here. It started crap in friendlies and it stayed crap. No players looked better. 

And then McClaren, the Wally with the brolly and that incompetent manager who should stick to coaching etc etc, came and instantly improved results and the excitement of the football. 

He might be a lovely bloke away from cameras but I've not seen it so I'm going to stick with calling him a useless and arrogant Lego head who says things like "oh, you'll know when I'm not happy"

On 04/01/2020 at 14:30, RamNut said:

Agreed. I think his problem is that's he's not as bright as he thinks he is but has got away with it because he's a bully - he basically intimidates people so he doesn't get challenged. Everything you needed to know about the bloke was exhibited in that press conference with the local reporter. He subsequently got put right in his place by Pat Murphy who handled him superbly calling him a bully, why don't you try and take me on (verbally) etc. Even in that conference Pearson was a complete and utter Bamford. His whole demeanour was that of a big 16 year old kid who didn't know what to do once he got called out other than look slightly menacing. He's a tool of the highest order. 

So regardless of whether it would've been good if he'd got more of a chance or not, he's more irritating than wee Billy... and that's saying something! So, so happy that Billy Davies has got nowhere since his very, very ungracious comments post-play-offs. Git. 

11 hours ago, Paul71 said:

What issues off field?

may have chosen my words poorly there, I didn't think we had any issues when he came back but he basically re built our entire training ground and forced the club to spend every penny they could in this area, non of which affects FFP to ensure the players have the best environment to improve and perform, got rid or senior players that were causing issues behind the scenes things like that, he's more of a club builder than anything else, from what I've read on here Derby and Mel was a bad fit from the start as Mel likes to be involved where as our owners support you but leave you to get on with the job

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

may have chosen my words poorly there, I didn't think we had any issues when he came back but he basically re built our entire training ground and forced the club to spend every penny they could in this area, non of which affects FFP to ensure the players have the best environment to improve and perform, got rid or senior players that were causing issues behind the scenes things like that, he's more of a club builder than anything else, from what I've read on here Derby and Mel was a bad fit from the start as Mel likes to be involved where as our owners support you but leave you to get on with the job

I think he tried to do too much team selection wise,  rather than playing player's in their best positions he played square pegs to fit a formation he wanted to play.

That and not communicating with mel etc cost him imo.

I thought he was going to be a good fit.

Archived