Darren Bent on Nigel Pearson: talksport

IlsonDerby

I really didn't want him, thought he was the wrong guy with the wrong attitudes. I couldn't understand the enthusiasm for him at all. People seemed to think he'd just won the premier league (basically, and, wrongly IMO).

We weren't broken and in need of fixing, we were very good and needed some finesse. However he does at other clubs he single handedly broke the team that had been at times breathtaking for the previous three season to implement "run up the pitch really really fast" and I don't think I'll ever forgive him for that. We've not been the same since, there were the odd shades of it last season like West Brom away.

We also had been having huge investment from Mel in all the facilities so that wasn't really a thing that needed someone to push for.

In the right situation he might have worked, he might work at Watford, he did work at fester obviously but I feared the worst and it was a disaster. But there'll always be some who just crave what they perceive to be a "strong man" as the manager.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I really didn't want him, thought he was the wrong guy with the wrong attitudes. I couldn't understand the enthusiasm for him at all. People seemed to think he'd just won the premier league (basically, and, wrongly IMO).

We weren't broken and in need of fixing, we were very good and needed some finesse. However he does at other clubs he single handedly broke the team that had been at times breathtaking for the previous three season to implement "run up the pitch really really fast" and I don't think I'll ever forgive him for that. We've not been the same since, there were the odd shades of it last season like West Brom away.

We also had been having huge investment from Mel in all the facilities so that wasn't really a thing that needed someone to push for.

In the right situation he might have worked, he might work at Watford, he did work at fester obviously but I feared the worst and it was a disaster. But there'll always be some who just crave what they perceive to be a "strong man" as the manager.

he wasn't here long enough to judge and he certainly didn't single handedly break us....that is utter rubbish 

7 minutes ago, S8TY said:

he wasn't here long enough to judge and he certainly didn't single handedly break us....that is utter rubbish 

Well, that's you opinion, but to go from Hull away play off second leg to Brighton at home 1st day and get worse from that was one hell of an achievement. Yes we also had the stinker in the first leg to be three nil down, but that was just the unpredictable nature of that team (and playing a not fit bradly johnson)

No he wasn't here long enough to properly judge and given time we'd probably have got better at being what he wanted but I stand by it, the team from 13-16 evolved but had the same unpredictable cavalier and creative nature until Mr Pearson decided to junk it. Mac2 kind of tried to get it back, but it just was never the same.

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

He took over a side that had been built to play possession football and had been coached to play 4-3-3 for three seasons… he then tried to turn us into a pacey 4-4-2 side over the course of one summer… of course he broke us. 

2 hours ago, cannable said:

He took over a side that had been built to play possession football and had been coached to play 4-3-3 for three seasons… he then tried to turn us into a pacey 4-4-2 side over the course of one summer… of course he broke us. 

I would say Rowett was more instrumental in breaking us by selling technical  players like Hughes.....Pearson was hounded out by players who went to MM saying they didn't want to play for him....( diddums ) and perhaps he was on to the mentality we've witnessed this season from Keogh and co......He was here for 14 games and brought in one good signing in Vydra and one extremely poor signing in Anya.... I can't remember who he sold and he is guilty of trying to change us too quickly but it wasn't working before as we didn't get promoted and he had a track record of success in the championship so i get why we went for him...14 games was not enough time to change or break us....and unless he sold all of our top players how did he break us ??

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

I would say Rowett was more instrumental in breaking us by selling technical  players like Hughes.

He completed the job that Pearson started. 

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

Pearson was hounded out by players who went to MM saying they didn't want to play for him....( diddums ) and perhaps he was on to the mentality we've witnessed this season from Keogh and co..

Do you believe that Morris had drones to spy on training also? 

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

He was here for 14 games and brought in one good signing in Vydra and one extremely poor signing in Anya.... I can't remember who he sold

He gave Chris Martin (he had just scored over 60 goals in previous 3 seasons) to a promotion rival and brought in James Wilson (9 goals in his career)

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

it wasn't working before as we didn't get promoted

So being in the play off final, missing out on the play offs because of our horrendous injury list (finishing with a record number of points for an 8th place finish and enough to finish in the play offs every year before and since) and a play off semi final were not good enough? For a team who had spent the last 5 years failing to win more games than it lost? For a team that highest finish was was 10th? It wasn't working? 

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

he had a track record of success in the championship so i get why we went for him.

He had 1 promotion from the Chpionship. Not exactly a track record. Paul Jewell has got more promotions. 

4 hours ago, S8TY said:

14 games was not enough time to change or break us....and unless he sold all of our top players how did he break us

If you couldn't see that we were a broken team after 12 games (he was suspended after 12 then left by mutual consent 2 games later) then go look at some of those performances. Look at the goal Blackburn scored against, should be easy to find, just search Derby make Blackburn look like Barcelona. They put together something like 40 odd passes together before they scored. The same Blackburn that got relegated and finished 3rd bottom. 

51 minutes ago, rynny said:

He gave Chris Martin (he had just scored over 60 goals in previous 3 seasons) to a promotion rival and brought in James Wilson (9 goals in his career)

So being in the play off final, missing out on the play offs because of our horrendous injury list (finishing with a record number of points for an 8th place finish and enough to finish in the play offs every year before and since) and a play off semi final were not good enough? For a team who had spent the last 5 years failing to win more games than it lost? For a team that highest finish was was 10th? It wasn't working? 

He had 1 promotion from the Chpionship. Not exactly a track record. Paul Jewell has got more promotions. 

If you couldn't see that we were a broken team after 12 games (he was suspended after 12 then left by mutual consent 2 games later) then go look at some of those performances. Look at the goal Blackburn scored against, should be easy to find, just search Derby make Blackburn look like Barcelona. They put together something like 40 odd passes together before they scored. The same Blackburn that got relegated and finished 3rd bottom. 

This is your opinion ...14 games is not long enough to judge a manager who was trying to change things or why was he brought in? 
you could say exactly the same about Cocu right now ....Martin was not scoring and Pearson was brought in with an ex Derby Player who we all trusted in Chris Powell ...the papers were quick to announce that the players had gone moaning to MM so yeah I do believe it...you have your opinion and I have mine ...how can you say it wasn’t working after just 14 games ...( it wasn’t the start he wanted that’s for sure but same could be said for Cocu ) .you need longer than that to judge a manager fully 

58 minutes ago, rynny said:

Over the years I’ve seen plenty of inept performances like Sunderland at home where we got stuffed Under Rowett, Readings demolition of us in last game of season with Mac and going back in time 5-1 at Tranmere where Stimac turned our season on its head...it happens ...let’s get one thing straight I’m not a fan of Pearson I’m just saying that he did not break us ...the players were still here apart from CM when Mac came back ...if it was that easily broken ( as it was quoted ) after just 12-14 games and with the same personnel than that is rubbish 

13 minutes ago, S8TY said:

So being in the play off final, missing out on the play offs because of our horrendous injury list (finishing with a record number of points for an 8th place finish and enough to finish in the play offs every year before and since) and a play off semi final were not good enough?

No.....it wasn’t good enough ....we’re still in the championship 

7 hours ago, S8TY said:

I would say Rowett was more instrumental in breaking us by selling technical  players like Hughes.....Pearson was hounded out by players who went to MM saying they didn't want to play for him....( diddums ) and perhaps he was on to the mentality we've witnessed this season from Keogh and co......He was here for 14 games and brought in one good signing in Vydra and one extremely poor signing in Anya.... I can't remember who he sold and he is guilty of trying to change us too quickly but it wasn't working before as we didn't get promoted and he had a track record of success in the championship so i get why we went for him...14 games was not enough time to change or break us....and unless he sold all of our top players how did he break us ??

Because we couldn’t successfully play 4-3-3 anymore nor could we play his incarnation of 4-4-2… of course 14 games is enough time to break a team if you have a bad enough transfer window. 

The mentality thing was, and still is, a cop out of an argument. The ‘Pearson is a hard nut’ argument is just a cliche stemming from his media persona. He made Keogh captain and got on well with the players. 

I’m not going through the philosophical debates of whether the Clough/McClaren team was successful or not because it’s been done to death 

12 hours ago, S8TY said:

This is your opinion ...14 games is not long enough to judge a manager who was trying to change things or why was he brought in? 
you could say exactly the same about Cocu right now ....Martin was not scoring and Pearson was brought in with an ex Derby Player who we all trusted in Chris Powell ...the papers were quick to announce that the players had gone moaning to MM so yeah I do believe it...you have your opinion and I have mine ...how can you say it wasn’t working after just 14 games ...( it wasn’t the start he wanted that’s for sure but same could be said for Cocu ) .you need longer than that to judge a manager fully 

How long do you give a manager? When do you decide it isn't working? Do you wait until end of October? Xmas? Give them the Jan window? Easter? Is it too late then? 

It took us 5 league games at home before we scored our first goal at Pride Park. Drew 2 (0-0 with Brighton and Villa) and Lost 3 (0-2 Newcastle and 0-1 Ipswich before the aforementioned 1-2 defeat to Blackburn) of those 5 games. We had played 9 league games and scored 3 goals. Three. Our only league win was away to Preston (1-0). Away we had lost 2-0 to Barnsley, 1-0 to Burton (remember how bad that game was?) and drew 1-1 with Bristol City. 

Pearson's last game he managed us. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37392559

Look at the league table after that and tell me that there was no worries, no concerns of Pearson being our manager. 

Screenshot_20200107_212651.jpg

On 02/01/2020 at 18:39, RadioactiveWaste said:

Butters, you run up the field very fast after an aimless hoof

Brys you're the defensive midfiald, my Claud Makalele role

Ince, just assume that whatever you want to do at any given moment is the thing i don't want you to do

rest of you just panic around near our own box to lull the opposition into a false sense of total superiority

You missed the 'you guys with the ball control and technical ability... I'm going to deploy you best in the transfer / loan market. Everyone else kick for touch and then try and nick it in the lineout'

22 hours ago, rynny said:

How long do you give a manager? When do you decide it isn't working? Do you wait until end of October? Xmas? Give them the Jan window? Easter? Is it too late then? 

It took us 5 league games at home before we scored our first goal at Pride Park. Drew 2 (0-0 with Brighton and Villa) and Lost 3 (0-2 Newcastle and 0-1 Ipswich before the aforementioned 1-2 defeat to Blackburn) of those 5 games. We had played 9 league games and scored 3 goals. Three. Our only league win was away to Preston (1-0). Away we had lost 2-0 to Barnsley, 1-0 to Burton (remember how bad that game was?) and drew 1-1 with Bristol City. 

Pearson's last game he managed us. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37392559

Look at the league table after that and tell me that there was no worries, no concerns of Pearson being our manager. 

Screenshot_20200107_212651.jpg

of course there is concerns but how do we know it was the manager and not the players..Cocu has not started that great but he's still here...why bring in a no nonsense type of manager then get rid so soon...in answer to your question i still would've given him longer just like i would Cocu when a lot were calling for him to go.....

I'm not a Pearson fan and my response was to the accusation that he broke us...he didn't....the majority of the players were still here when Pearson were here...If he'd signed loads of players that didn't fit the "Derby way " of playing and left us with loads of deadwood players then i'd agree....but he didn't so he didn't break us....the next manager just came in and played a different style and formation so it was'nt that broke was it 

• 5 months later...

Archived