Lame Duck Loans

May Contain Nuts

14 minutes ago, Carnero said:

He was in the championship, during Phil Brown's reign I think.

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten what 'that season' referred to tbh. I'm good at removing awful experiences from my memory!!

Vidal was a Nigel Clough signing, and like many of them he was a young player who despite a good youth record wasn't physically or mentally prepared for the Championship.

(and is now a 30 year old playing for Kettering Town)

My initial thought when signing Dowell was that he was far more of a Clough loan than a McClaren or Lampard loan.

I think that's how it has played out.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Coconut said:

My initial thought when signing Dowell was that he was far more of a Clough loan than a McClaren or Lampard loan.

Whilst not seeing much of him, I was under the impression that Dowell had a good season at Forest a couple of seasons ago with a decent goals and assists record, so I hoped he'd be a reasonable enough signing.

Sadly he's awful and plays with 50% effort tops.

Send him back.

21 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Whilst not seeing much of him, I was under the impression that Dowell had a good season at Forest a couple of seasons ago with a decent goals and assists record, so I hoped he'd be a reasonable enough signing.

Sadly he's awful and plays with 50% effort tops.

Send him back.

Classic case of a team making one reasonably capable player the star of the show and making them look better than they are,  giving them the ball at every opportunity and seeing what happens.

Lawrence was a star at Ipswich for similar reasons, perhaps. Waghorn was an example at, um, Ipswich perhaps.

Jordan Rhodes (despite a hattrick today) has done nothing for Sheff Weds despite his stats at Blackburn.

Tom Ince did nothing, and has done nothing at Huddersfield & Stoke.

..except Dowell produced less than those players in similar situations.

Put them in a team not entirely focussed on them and they struggle to produce anything.

5 hours ago, Coconut said:

If you named the lowest quality, least effective and most pointless Derby County loan signings of the past 40 years...

...where would Kieran Dowell stand?

I haven't created this purely to poo on KD, he's just the most recent example.

Blessing Kaku standard

I think we put a list of players who fit the criteria that is asked of the recruiting team.

On paper Dowell will tick lots of boxes. Played for his country at U21’s regular, had a good spell at Forest, half decent at Sheff U.  Maybe he’s disappointed in being nowhere near the Everton squad?

You can scout all you want, but if the confidence is low and the attitude isn’t right it’s going to fail.

21 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Josefzoon is another, 2.5 mil man!!

Who we snapped up ahead of Leeds.

Should Bielsas scouting department be sacked too?

I'm not saying Zoon has been any good, he hasn't shown anything, but Brentford fans really rated him as did the bucket man.

8 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Who we snapped up ahead of Leeds.

Should Bielsas scouting department be sacked too?

I'm not saying Zoon has been any good, he hasn't shown anything, but Brentford fans really rated him as did the bucket man.

In fairness, how many good signings have Leeds made? They’ve blown a shed load on Bamford who’s finishing has been at Waghorn level. Casilla looks dodgy as duck whenever I see him. Helder Costa has only scored 2 goals. Brought that Clarke back then never played him. Made a total mess of that Daniel James transfer and ended up missing out. From the outside looking in I wouldn’t say their recruitment department is any good either. Certainly not one we should be trying to follow. The reason for Leeds success isn’t brilliant recruitment, it’s Bielsa getting the best out of what they had already in the main.

Josefzoon did do well at Brentford in all fairness, but it should’ve been clear if anyone watched him that he wouldn’t suit our style of play. I hadn’t seen much of him before he signed, but it become fairly quickly evident when he played that he didn’t fit.

22 hours ago, RamNut said:

1. It was cheaper than signing dan Crowley

2. Our recruitment team had never heard of dan crowley

And it is nearly an angagram

Is it our recruitment team the old joke about signing Roy Castle not Rocastle is about ??

14 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

My most forgettable loans would be Jason Talbot, Andreas Pereplotkins and Nick Chadwick. 

OMG I normally rate my ability to spot a player - but Pereplotkins is probably my kryptonite - I saw ten minutes of him and thought we had a good player on our hands lol

Archived