Jack Marriott.. What's going on.

hintonsboots

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, therams69 said:

Unfortunately he is a victim of the silly tactics that are played in this modern era. Strikers like him, Danny Wellbeck, Rashford, etc etc will have all scored goals after goals from under 6's to say under 16's playing up top. For some reason as soon as they get pro, managers take this out of their game and play them on the wing. Does my head in, it really does.....

Yesterday against QPR was an example. Left up top and no service. Jack is a striker who relies on through balls to him on the floor or via the wingers where he becomes the fox in the box, very much like what Dean Sturridge did or say Tommy Johnson or Gabbiadini. Now all of them would also struggle in todays setup imho as would Bobby D...

Perhaps we focus too much on this number 10 role...... Personally would love to see him and either Waghorn or Martin up top with 2 tricky wingers down the line getting balls crossed in. Not relying on the full backs like we currently do.

The setup we currently play does simply not suit Jack. Question is, do you change it for someone who can score goals or keep trying to play with the number 10, I think its fairly obvious what should be done for me........... After all, goals win football matches.

Is that system not the same system that Rowett played in a roundabout way? 

I think he is carrying a bit of weight and lacks fitness and sharpness. Add that to the fact that he has not had a consistent run in the side, and that the side is chopped and changed every 5 minutes. Its definitely not that he isn't good enough in my opinion. If we sell him he will go somewhere else and scored bucket loads. Still hope he will come good for us, but that will depend on the current management coming good as well by establishing a settled side with a consistent pattern of play   

It’s Very simple what’s going on , the manager that bought him and now a new manager don’t see enough from him in training and in the chances he gets to play to warrant him being picked as a regular starter ,

if he has the talent at this level that some think he has then he could and should be making himself undroppable so there’s two choices ,either he isn’t the real deal at this level as a player or he doesn’t have the right attitude to make use of said talent if he has it 

the days when teams could play an out and out goal hanger are long gone so to make it at anywhere near championship level or above jack has to be one totally dedicated athlete with more than one string to his bow, at this point it’s not looking too promising

6 hours ago, Squid said:

Bring in Marcus Maddison to help him.

They go together like peas in a pod...

Some bloke called Rooney might be savvy enough to play balls in behind for him too.

Was going to go on an unusually long rant about Jack and maybe there is more to him, that we as fans don’t get to see in training or off the pitch (simply conjecture until proven otherwise) but what I constantly see is a bloke denied any sort of useful service.

Saturday fans were getting impatient when the ball got passed back, yet virtually every time the defence or goalkeeper hit a ball long, it gave possession away. Like others, beat me how Marriott and Waghorn are expected to retain long balls, it’s simply not their game. So bring on Martin and low and behold we start winning them, but then both strikers most suited to feed off him, were substituted!

Sometimes I just don’t get our tactics, most of all though I don’t get why we haven’t found a way to play in to Marriott, the bloke has zero chance without decent service.

6 hours ago, DcfcJB said:

Cant understand him playing Waghorn instead of Martin at the weekend. Martin gives you the ability to hold up the ball and play in players like Marriott Holmes Lawrence etc...

I'm actually wondering what Waghorn actually does... he doesn't hold the ball up and he's not very quick his finishing has now dropped off. One thing he is good at is set pieces he should be taking all the free kicks and corners that how he got such a good return at Ipswich! 

I think with Chrissie being fully fit for the first time in several years, he's mindful not to burn him out with a 50+ game season ahead. Don't forget that many on here mocked those who thought Martin could still fo a job for us but Cocu was shrewd enough to see otherwise. The obvious answer is not always the correct one.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

It’s Very simple what’s going on , the manager that bought him and now a new manager don’t see enough from him in training and in the chances he gets to play to warrant him being picked as a regular starter ,

if he has the talent at this level that some think he has then he could and should be making himself undroppable so there’s two choices ,either he isn’t the real deal at this level as a player or he doesn’t have the right attitude to make use of said talent if he has it 

the days when teams could play an out and out goal hanger are long gone so to make it at anywhere near championship level or above jack has to be one totally dedicated athlete with more than one string to his bow, at this point it’s not looking too promising

Couldn't agree more. McCarthy, Lampard and Cocu have all stated (in more polite terms) that Jack is lazy as fook, the former, not known for his patience said he bit his tongue and politely pointed out that he needed to train harder to which Marriott laughed and responded, 'yeah, alright'. 

It's such a shame because I really do think he's a talented lad but he has to understand that his talent alone will not guarantee him goals at this level. He's not an unknown quantity this season like he was after all and if he is not training the way the manager expects, then he can't expect to get games over those who do. How can you manage a team that way?

Pretty fed up with hearing that he's the messiah in any case as irrespective of how we set the team up he's not looked like any kind of a threat all season.

7 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

I'm actually wondering what Waghorn actually does... he doesn't hold the ball up and he's not very quick his finishing has now dropped off. One thing he is good at is set pieces he should be taking all the free kicks and corners that how he got such a good return at Ipswich! 

Unless I'm mistaken, Waggy has only scored 2 out of 4 penos thus far this season. That's 12 yards out, centre of goal, with only the keeper to beat.   I really can't see him being that prolific direct from the corner flag!   

2 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Ah come on now, we've seen his finishing ability and there's a good striker in there. Whether he's as good as he thinks he is however, is a very different question.

Is the stat that he has only scored 8 goals in 47 appearances for us right..?

Just now, MuespachRam said:

Is the stat that he has only scored 8 goals in 47 appearances for us right..?

Sounds about right but were you thinking he wasn't up to it last year against Manure and Leeds for instance? I'm not saying he's great, check my other post for my thoughts on him, but I do think he's a lot better than he's shown this season. Do you not rate him at all? Honest question.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Sounds about right but were you thinking he wasn't up to it last year against Manure and Leeds for instance? I'm not saying he's great, check my other post for my thoughts on him, but I do think he's a lot better than he's shown this season. Do you not rate him at all? Honest question.

I’m really not sure if I do rate him or not. The one thing I would argue with anyone about Mason Bennett is that he doesn’t score enough goals...and It seems that Jack doesn’t either..? 

He should have hit the target from the corner. He's a 'victim' of Cocu's bonkers policy of basing the team on the opponents. He needs a run in the side, preferably alongside Martin. As Graham Richards used to say, play the footballers.  Marriott is one.

Good footballers can play anywhere on the pitch and good goal scorers score plenty of goals. To be blaming Cocu for JM's, MB, MW, TL or any of the rest of them, for their lack of goals is not the correct answer in my opinion.

Unfortunately we have a massive lacking of good footballers.

19 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I’m really not sure if I do rate him or not. The one thing I would argue with anyone about Mason Bennett is that he doesn’t score enough goals...and It seems that Jack doesn’t either..? 

Yeah, it's odd one. Folk have made some valid points on here about the way the team is set up and like but if Jack is not putting it in behind the scenes and he certainly does not look trained to the minute to me, how can Cocu risk building a team around him? Jack's gotta show him something and clearly hasn't been recently.

The head-scratcher is that as you know, I'm cup half full by nature, but I don't think I was stargazing last season when to my eye at least, he really did look an absolute natural born finisher at times. No fluke either, some really deft and technical finishes, the one against Leeds being a good example. Where's that player gone?

Fast-forward to this season and he looks no threat at all. I don't think he's suddenly become a bad player so it's hard to explain. Rare for me to criticize players openly but I'm not sure he's really that fussed though that's not necessarily an opinion I can sensibly support.

Question is now, do we look to move him on or try to unlock the talent? If we move him on and the penny drops with him, be just our luck to see him bag 20+ for someone else!

6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

The head-scratcher is that as you know, I'm cup half full by nature, but I don't think I was stargazing last season when to my eye at least, he really did look an absolute natural born finisher at times. No fluke either, some really deft and technical finishes, the one against Leeds being a good example. Where's that player gone?

Fast-forward to this season and he looks no threat at all. I don't think he's suddenly become a bad player so it's hard to explain. 

The flashes we saw were just that, flashes. Why, who knows. Rooney and his amazing attitude to the game will either encourage him or show him for what he is I think.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

The flashes we saw were just that, flashes. Why, who knows. Rooney and his amazing attitude to the game will either encourage him or show him for what he is I think.

I take your point of course and agree totally on the Rooney thing but I'm nt sure Jack's any flash in the pan. If you rewind to Blackman and his show reel, the bulk of his goals were just lashed in and whilst visually impressive, they didn't necessarily show any real tekkers. I don't think that's true of Jack though for the reasons already mentioned. Perhaps again I'm seeing what I want to see but even ignoring his goals for us, that season at Posh (admittedly against lower league oppo) his goals were most often deftly taken and unerringly just inside either stick unless I'm imagining things.

All of this notwithstanding, even I'm beginning to lose hope, mainly because he doesn't appear too fussed. Folk have mentioned Paterson nudging him in the back while he was having a laugh with whathis face, but my reading of that was that it was a 'oi, there's a game on here pal' kind of thing. Just a hunch but then it was too when I got pelters for suggesting there was an issue over his application under Lampard which was shortly confirmed thereafter. For sure though, if Rooney doesn't inspire him then we're buggered. Cocu will want him gone and we may struggle to cover his fee ?

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I take your point of course and agree totally on the Rooney thing but I'm nt sure Jack's any flash in the pan...For sure though, if Rooney doesn't inspire him then we're buggered. Cocu will want him gone and we may struggle to cover his fee ?

I think Jack has real talent, not just goal-scoring. He looks the real deal, in flashes. I think if all you need is a poacher then he's the one for you. If you need more then that's what we've got now. But I'm sure we'd make our money back.

23 hours ago, therams69 said:

Have a look at this video from his 2017/2018 time at Peterborough and look how many goals were from through balls or fox in the box action and then ask yourself who at Derby suppliers such balls.........

By the time the full backs are up the top of the pitch the defenders and midfielders are well covered where if its wingers crossing the balls in the chances are that they are already level with a full back which means in theory only 2 centre backs to get in the middle of....

Because of the number 10 role all play generally goes through them which means that they tend to run at players as opposed to feeding a hungry striker. 

I would just love a goal where the ball is booted up ... Its flicked on my Waghorn or Martin and marriott runs onto it and scoress........ I think the last time that happened may have been Leeds away in the playoffs?

Wow. What a player. Sign him up!!! 

Archived