Jack Marriott.. What's going on.

hintonsboots

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I agree with much of that. But if you want jack plus a strike partner, you have to bin both the no10 AND the holding midfielder. 

Bristol city do it.

But you need the midfield quality and we haven't had that for some time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The passing and possession in the final third is crap. 

Marriott is looking for little through balls down the side and cut backs. 

Not 40 yard crosses out of play from Malone, another shot from Lawrence that won't go in or a lazy knock on into the general area he shares with bigger and stronger defenders. 

14 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

But you need the midfield quality and we haven't had that for some time.

Yes but its the same problem whether we are playing with two up top, a number 10, or a holding midfielder.

so....its no reason not to play two up top.

ultimately cocu is too risk averse. He wants two holding midfielders so jack has no chance. 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Not 40 yard crosses out of play from Malone, another shot from Lawrence that won't go in or a lazy knock on into the general area he shares with bigger and stronger defenders. 

Who can actually play those passes? Holmes? Yet to find a final ball. Evans? That might mean passing forward with risk. Davies? Forsyth? I know who, Bielik...oh wait.

Lineker, Shearer, Fowler or Rush wouldn’t perform in this team especially in the fashionable 433 we all have to play.

Play him in a two and we have a player who could possibly make he difference this season (for all the fifa and football manager experts on here pretend the other forward is a “false numbers 9”) 

carry on with the system played on Saturday and forgot he’s a waste of time. 

10 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

We've really never played to his strengths, he's not a lone striker and he's not a striker you pump long hopeful balls up to.

Thought we'd finally cracked it playing him up with Martin, but that seems to have been abandoned. 

Bang on mate 

and if love to know the reason behind ditching that pat together so quickly when it appeared to bring out the best of our front 3 (Lawrence in behind ) 

He’s not going to get the service he needs when the ball is glued to Tom Lawrence‘s feet.

Lawrence, Marriott and Martin is currently our best front three. But they need to be locked in a room to agree how they will work together to create the most goals.

Anyone who doesn’t comply can leave.

8 hours ago, BondJovi said:

Who can actually play those passes? Holmes? Yet to find a final ball. Evans? That might mean passing forward with risk. Davies? Forsyth? I know who, Bielik...oh wait.

Holmes & Bielik both played and inch perfect through ball against Preston, it's just that they both went through to Waghorn, who missed.

Maybe Marriott isn't working hard enough to find space or making the right runs?

Just a suggestion. We should try play a diamond but have the outside centre Mids almost as wingers on the defence and on the attack they push narrow to allow the fullbacks to push up. And this also allows us to play Lawrence as the 10 and Martin with Marriott up top. We’ve seen how great he can be in the right system remember when he scored like 6 goals in a row last season?? He was unplayable when we put through balls to him 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s not going to get the service he needs when the ball is glued to Tom Lawrence‘s feet.

Lawrence, Marriott and Martin is currently our best front three. But they need to be locked in a room to agree how they will work together to create the most goals.

They need to be selected together first. Otherwise the conversation would have no point. Cocu's caution is the issue here.

7 minutes ago, DRBee said:

They need to be selected together first. Otherwise the conversation would have no point. Cocu's caution is the issue here.

They all started against Boro. They played pretty well together.

They all started again away to Forest. They were most of the problem.

Cant understand him playing Waghorn instead of Martin at the weekend. Martin gives you the ability to hold up the ball and play in players like Marriott Holmes Lawrence etc...

I'm actually wondering what Waghorn actually does... he doesn't hold the ball up and he's not very quick his finishing has now dropped off. One thing he is good at is set pieces he should be taking all the free kicks and corners that how he got such a good return at Ipswich! 

13 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Showed last season how prolific he could be at this level. Just doesn’t have the quality around him.

THIS! Im surprised that a lot of people cant see this. Same with the Waggy criticism that's only seemed to start this season. The issue isn't the strikers, its the creativity, or should i say, LACK OFF, behind them. Jack is a fantastic finisher, but he is barely in the game because of no creativity. The only striker that gets some football is Martin and thats because his style is get himself involved deeper. 

Nout wrong with Jack, its the rest of the team thats the issue. 

looking at his goals video from last year he only got five assists in 56 games. that seems really low to me. it suggests to me that hes a cracking finisher but does nothing else for the team or anyone around him (for contrast bogle has 8 so far this year, forsythe has four) ) if you demand that strikers do more than score goals, he doesnt get in your side i suppose.

8 minutes ago, swanny said:

looking at his goals video from last year he only got five assists in 56 games. that seems really low to me. it suggests to me that hes a cracking finisher but does nothing else for the team or anyone around him (for contrast bogle has 8 so far this year, forsythe has four) ) if you demand that strikers do more than score goals, he doesnt get in your side i suppose.

Stats are what you want them too be how can Forsyth have 4 when he has only played three games.Assist are for the last player that touched the ball before the goal scorer the ball may have just hit them.

The evidence of your own eyes should show you how hard Jack works for the team when he does not have the ball and his passing is far more accurate than Holmes.

The problem lies in the creativity from the three in midfield I said on Saturday after twenty minutes I feel sorry for Marriott and Lawrence they were making runs and showing for the ball and not receiving it.You could see them getting frustrated throwing there heads back and wondering why they had bothered.

17 minutes ago, swanny said:

Can't see how Forsythe has 4 assists in 3 games where we've scored 2 goals ?. Or have I read your post wrong?

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

What if they vote remain????

Oops wrong thread

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

This. We just lack any sort of creativity. Whether it be in the midfield or out wide. Rooney might add something, but we need more than just him.

Archived