Jack Marriott.. What's going on.

hintonsboots

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think Jack has real talent, not just goal-scoring. He looks the real deal, in flashes. I think if all you need is a poacher then he's the one for you. If you need more then that's what we've got now. But I'm sure we'd make our money back.

Would have liked to have seen a few more games with a 4-3-3 with him, Tom and Chris. I think they'd complement each other well, I really do. I'm not terribly formation savvy though so perhaps other stuff aside, there's technical reasons too meaning it hasn't happened.

Ironically, Rooney's arrival might scupper any chance of that now unless he's deployed as an attacking mid. Would Rooney pulling the strings in MF and arriving late a la Lampard style be a waste of his potential though? I think Cocu might think so and perhaps Wayne will prefer a more advanced role.

On 01/12/2019 at 19:55, Millenniumram said:

Simply put, he hasn’t made the step up. Obviously successful in the lower leagues, but just a poor all round player in this division unfortunately. He’s got the natural goal scoring ability, but nowhere near enough in terms of general play to back it up. Better quality in other areas of the team would help to improve the supply, from midfield and wide areas. But jacks got to work harder to get himself involved, needs to fight for the ball more, and he needs to improve his passing. At the moment, he’s not at the level Martin is at for me. He’s got to win his place and show that he’s still got a role to play in this squad, or I’d look at moving him on. Ivan Toney is a tough one really, clearly a top talent in league one level, but is he just Marriott mk2?

Did you ever see Gary Lineker play? 

He did alright as a one trick pony. 

Our trouble at the moment is we are creating so few chances and he is low on confidence.  Play to his strengths and goals will come don't and they won't. 

I'm not saying he is a Lineker in the waiting by the way. ?. Some way to go yet. ?

12 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Is the stat that he has only scored 8 goals in 47 appearances for us right..?

Or you could say 26 starts and 11 goals for the club.

Using appearances can be misleading, come off the bench for the last 5 minutes and it’s +1.

He’s played a total of 2648 minutes on the pitch which works out at 29 games in game time.

42 minutes ago, Derby_Dave_nee_Marilyn said:

Did you ever see Gary Lineker play? 

I saw him score a hat trick for Fester at the BBG. One was a long range effort, from about 7 yards, the rest were all inside the 6 yard area.

Marriott could be great - needs playing in a pair (with Martin or the like) with a decent supply of chances.

On 02/12/2019 at 07:04, Anag Ram said:

He’s not going to get the service he needs when the ball is glued to Tom Lawrence‘s feet.

Lawrence, Marriott and Martin is currently our best front three. But they need to be locked in a room to agree how they will work together to create the most goals.

Anyone who doesn’t comply can leave.

I agree - but would suggest we drop Lawrence for Rooney

Ya never thought I would say that ...

Some pretty harsh criticism here for Marriott. We've seen what can happen given the RIGHT service. He wants through balls on the ground between the centre half and full backs. Thats where he comes alive. 

We don't have a player to play an incisive ball, carry it into the final third and play a pass to unlock the back four. We will do it once a match. This isn't enough. Rooney's football brain could be a blessing for providing a little more creativity. 

I agree with early comments however. we saw some cohesion developing with Martin and Marriott together. To give up on this after 2 games (Boro and Forest) isn't fair. 

Give the diamond 4-4-2 another crack at least until Rooney is actually available. 

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Friend ITK at Hull says he's going there in January ?

With the service from Bowen and Grosicki, he'll get a bucket load of goals.

Wouldn't really surprise me if you look what kind of strikers Cocu has prefered so far.

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well he has been prolific in league one - definitely 

for us - definitely not prolific in the championship 

for us - definitely prolific in CUP games - is that by any chance because we have gone for it with lampard in charge of cup games?

Could be he has a different attitude for the big glamour games that he can’t keep up week in week out in the league?

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well he has been prolific in league one - definitely 

for us - definitely not prolific in the championship 

for us - definitely prolific in CUP games - is that by any chance because we have gone for it with lampard in charge of cup games?

Or that we had creative players like Mount, Wilson and (dare I say) Huddlestone feeding him the chances.

No striker can live off the service he currently gets.

He is beginning to look a bit like a low budget Jordan Rhodes.  If he can get his fitness up he would do well in a 442 but really can’t see that is the way we will be going anytime soon (or ever) under Cocu.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him gone in January, and I think Bennett and Martin are probably in their last seasons with us too.  I am struggling to make a case for Waghorn too truth be known, but he probably is the more likely of the 4 to be with us come 20-21.

I don’t think we are being told the whole story about his fitness, I don’t mean training I mean groin niggles, muscle stuff. I have a sense that he is a bit fragile. 

yes and we haven’t played many games in a system that suits him either. I have to disagree about his all round play which I rate. He seems to be able to tackle and has a great touch compared to some. I just hope he comes good for us because the talent is there 

9 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Friend ITK at Hull says he's going there in January ?

With the service from Bowen and Grosicki, he'll get a bucket load of goals.

Hope we get our money back. Very sorry that Marriott seems surplus to requirements. I was hoping that we had found the natural finisher that we haven't had in years. 

Archived