Phillip Cocu

Bob The Badger

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I really don’t give a toss what he says in an interview.

I’ll judge him like I will every other manager- by our performances and results.

And so far they aren’t really good enough. Before the happy clappers jump on me I’m not saying sack him just that things need to improve.

If anyone honestly expects instant success and winning every game etc go support another team

we’re in the process here of rebuilding and laying the foundations for years to come.

Mel’s seen past the ways of sacking managers left right centre

We need STABILITY in the club and thats what is going to happen

Cheers

Why has he binned off Martin and Marriott as a partnership after just 2 games with Lawrence in the hole 

that plan was literally given 2 games to gel and come together 

we comfortably beat boro with people coming away saying how much more it was finally round pegs in round holes.

then he bravely took it into the city ground clash where if not for a bogle howler we would have come away with at least a point and the performance arguably deserved a little more.

he then bind it back in favour of the one up top isolated striker 

what happens? Back to away day ineptness 

I’m starting to view him simply as more of a tinker man than a tactical genius 

happy to give him further time and patience as this club cries out  for stability but at some point in time maybe next season we’ll start to get an idea if we’re flogging a dead horse 

When I say that I’m doing so with realistic and pretty low expectations,

I’m not asking for a top six challenge but I’m expecting to see an identity in our style that’s getting executed with a little more conviction than currently 

passing to white shirts would be a great starting point lol ? 

9 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Wasn't aware he had an astute footballing brain.   It's not really been evident from his interviews.  He has always come across like he was trying to ensure he said nothing controversial. 

Read some interviews about him and his football skills then.

Cocu isn't going to last.

Because he takes his time in how he talks and pauses ( statesmanship type talking ) you get the false impression he is clever . For me he comes across as about as exciting as sitting next to a librarian at a Christmas party . 

What worries me about him is does he seem the sort of chap you would be afraid of walking down the tunnel to at half time when you losing 0-2 , and the team are needing the hair dryer treatment and then some passion and motivation ? .

What also worries me is where are the mention of the bucket load of foreigners he should have on his scouting list that could add a bit of flair we so badly lack .

Also if he is sacked before the end of the season ( and I think this could happen easily ) where does that leave rooney after all he has come to learn of the greatest librarian that football has seen .

I’ve had an idea .... how about if Cocu is being even cleverer than we give him credit for? ..... how about if all this tinkering is deliberate and designed to mess with the heads of those in the first team squad ... to sort the wheat from the chaff ... perhaps he’s gone to Mel and said ‘look as long as we don’t get relegated will you give me this season to sort this lot out, to see who is really a footballer, to see who can adapt to different formations, different situations, at the end of this season I’ll have a bloody good idea who can cut it & who can’t, then next season with new players I have in mind & those youngsters coming through who I believe in we can give it a proper go’. Mel says ‘ok, go for it I’m on board, rattle a few cages and see who can cut it, the rest are history’ .... perhaps as fans we all need to play the long(er) game and trust our manager ...... perhaps I’m wrong??????

Maybe Cocu is doing ok but fans are too fickle and impatient to accept his situation. Losing the three loanees plus Keogh was tough. Plus look at the injuries - Huddlestone, Shinnie, now Bielik plus other players from time to time. The main problem I have is he hasn’t found any positive formula away from home, plus he put out a weak side against Forest in the cup. But I think with everything that’s gone on, it would be foolish to accept this team is a top six team at the moment. He hasn’t even been able to bring his own players in. Roos is not better than Carson. Davies and whoever is next to him are not better than Keogh and Tomori. Apart from Bielik the squad is weaker. 

11 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Wasn't aware he had an astute footballing brain.   It's not really been evident from his interviews.  He has always come across like he was trying to ensure he said nothing controversial. 

That in itself is quite astute.

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

No. The decision was made before Bielik was injured.

Still why change our set up for QPR?

Didn't he answer this in his post match interview with Radio Derby?

He said that they were unsure whether QPR would start with a 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3, so they chose to start in a 3-4-3 that could change if QPR did. 

Personally, I don't like seeing us setting up to match the opposition like this. Especially not at home. I would rather just see us play our own game. But I can see the thinking behind it.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Didn't he answer this in his post match interview...

Personally, I don't like seeing us setting up to match the opposition like this. Especially not at home. I would rather just see us play our own game. But I can see the thinking behind it.

Yes that was the point I was making to the other poster, why do it. 

14 hours ago, Justa said:

Sorry I really don’t give a toss what he says in an interview.

I’ll judge him like I will every other manager- by our performances and results.

And so far they aren’t really good enough. Before the happy clappers jump on me I’m not saying sack him just that things need to improve.

Do you think the match day squad yesterday, once Bielik is taken out, is one that’s good enough to be challenging at the top of this league?

i don’t, it’s poor and mid table at best, which is where we are. Obviously Rooney comes in in January. Hopefully we send Dowell & Paterson back and try for some better loans.

7 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Do you think the match day squad yesterday, once Bielik is taken out, is one that’s good enough to be challenging at the top of this league?

i don’t, it’s poor and mid table at best, which is where we are. Obviously Rooney comes in in January. Hopefully we send Dowell & Paterson back and try for some better loans.

Probably agree with you but that doesn't mean someone else couldn't be achieving more with the same squad. Its not a good league and not many squads stand out.

All the chopping and changing of personnel and formations really concerns me. Oh and the dull as ditchwater interviews.....it just doesn't inspire me. I thought Nigel Clough was bad but Cocu's in a different league !

I'll say once again I am not saying we should sack him just that so far he hasn't convinced me. 

And nothing that he says in an interview will change that.

13 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Cocu's got a 4 year contract. I believe we will be ok by then. 

We can't just be ok, we need to be out of this division and stable in the premier League by the end of his 4 years. Promotion needs to happen as soon as possible, if it doesn't happen this season then it needs to next. This is the longest period we've had out of the first division, can't continue much longer as we'll find ourselves going down 

Just on the topic of Cocu's team and tactics yesterday, other injuries notwithstanding, losing Bielik was a massive blow. Evans came in with big boots to fill but I swear he was concussed after an early knock as he didn't look right at all to me. 

I'm pretty confident that Cocu knows the time of day. Not too many were clamouring to get Whitaker in the side a few weeks back but Cocu obviously knew he'd be ok. I can see him integrating moe of the younger lads across the season and with a decent summer window, he may have fashioned a really strong side by next season.

I know it's been a long wait for us Rams but patience is absolutely key this season, especially given the incredibly unfortunate run of injuries we've had. 

Archived