Phillip Cocu

Bob The Badger

We all want this to work.

we all wanted to bounce back from frank’s untimely exit and therefore there was tremendous goodwill and almost universal support for this appointment. It looked like an inspired choice, albeit a bit of a gamble on someone we didn’t really know. 

But let’s be honest. its not really working at the moment.

there is no obvious team plan and no improvement in individual players. The Marriotts and jozefzoons remain enigmas. Those who have broken through - like Martin and Shinnie - seem to have done so despite some reluctance to pick them. The midfield loanees have become highly peripheral. So what next?

we have a forthcoming transfer window. We need to see decisive first steps to address the imbalances in the squad, and start laying some foundations. Waiting three or four years for Archie Brown and co to develop is a cop out. Any manager could sit on his hands and do that. 

will Cocu rise to the challenge? We’ll see.

It’s time to step up and show us what you are about. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

we all wanted to bounce back from frank’s untimely exit and therefore there was tremendous goodwill and almost universal support for this appointment. It looked like an inspired choice, albeit a bit of a gamble on someone we didn’t really know. 

there is no obvious team plan and no improvement in individual players. The Marriotts and jozefzoons remain enigmas. Those who have broken through - like Martin and Shinnie - seem to have done so despite some reluctance to pick them. The midfield loanees have become highly peripheral. So what next?

we have a forthcoming transfer window. We need to see decisive first steps to address the imbalances in the squad, and start laying some foundations. Waiting three or four years for Archie Brown and co to develop is a cop out. Any manager could sit on his hands and do that. 

Agree with this. Personally I think it’s too early to judge but time is a rare commodity in modern day football. I’d give him the season and next summer as I don’t think we will see his team until that happens. If we’re in the same position 12 months from now then i would be making a change.

19 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Just on the topic of Cocu's team and tactics yesterday, other injuries notwithstanding, losing Bielik was a massive blow. Evans came in with big boots to fill but I swear he was concussed after an early knock as he didn't look right at all to me. 

I'm pretty confident that Cocu knows the time of day. Not too many were clamouring to get Whitaker in the side a few weeks back but Cocu obviously knew he'd be ok. I can see him integrating moe of the younger lads across the season and with a decent summer window, he may have fashioned a really strong side by next season.

I know it's been a long wait for us Rams but patience is absolutely key this season, especially given the incredibly unfortunate run of injuries we've had. 

You're right - see tweet below:

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The problem is going to be attendances. I grew up having a season ticket at the BBG and missed very few games from the age of 5 to 20. Then I started working in retail, so could only get to the occasional Saturday match. I spent 12 years living in Cornwall and live games became a couple of trips a season to PP, plus random away games in the South West.

Yet in those 25 years or so of being a part time fan, I never lost my love of seeing the Rams live. It's infinitely better than watching on the TV. So as soon as I moved back to Derby, I was straight down to the ticket office buying a shiny new season ticket. I've loved being a regular again. I've missed about 3 games in 6 years. I'm still that nine year old again when the players run out. 

But yesterday, with cold mist swirling off the Derwent and making my middle aged knees ache, I really started to question why I was there. Indeed, my mate agreed that this match would be better viewed from a sofa with some cheese and wine. I suspect that I'm not the only one. 

Cocu's main threat is going to come from attendance this December. If we drop below 20k, he's toast. We simply couldn't stick within FFP at that level, so the owner will be forced to act.

Just now, angieram said:

Thanks @angieram that makes sense as I could tell he was clearly struggling. He's not had a deal of luck so far with us, given one thing and another! Not happy that he was allowed to continue unless he blagged the concussion protocol test. Common knowledge these days how dangerous concussions can be.

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The problem is going to be attendances. I grew up having a season ticket at the BBG and missed very few games from the age of 5 to 20. Then I started working in retail, so could only get to the occasional Saturday match. I spent 12 years living in Cornwall and live games became a couple of trips a season to PP, plus random away games in the South West.

Yet in those 25 years or so of being a part time fan, I never lost my love of seeing the Rams live. It's infinitely better than watching on the TV. So as soon as I moved back to Derby, I was straight down to the ticket office buying a shiny new season ticket. I've loved being a regular again. I've missed about 3 games in 6 years. I'm still that nine year old again when the players run out. 

But yesterday, with cold mist swirling off the Derwent and making my middle aged knees ache, I really started to question why I was there. Indeed, my mate agreed that this match would be better viewed from a sofa with some cheese and wine. I suspect that I'm not the only one. 

Cocu's main threat is going to come from attendance this December. If we drop below 20k, he's toast. We simply couldn't stick within FFP at that level, so the owner will be forced to act.

Agree with this. Years ago I had a season ticket at the BBG and travelled home & away from Oxford, a 230 mile round trip. In those days I'd turn up regardless of the teams performances and looked forward to the games. Nowadays football is an expensive business - for me at least £90 for a single trip to PP, and at that price I want to be entertained. I have been to Brentford this season and will be going to Reading this month, but at the moment I feel totally apathetic about the club because of the performances and the managers tactics. I have no desire to schlep up to PP on a freezing cold winters day and sit through performances like the one yesterday. If that makes a 'half fan' then so be it, but I know a fair few Rams fans who feel the same.

Lets hope the 'Rooney effect' and a couple of clever signings in January kick start the season..

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Blimey.

It doesn't change my overall view of what he brings to the team, but if I'd have known that (or been as observant as Pancake) I'd have cut him some slack in my assessment.

Sorry George.

Keeping him out there in that condition doesn't seem particularly wise? I hope there's nothing more sinister to it.

1 hour ago, Justa said:

Probably agree with you but that doesn't mean someone else couldn't be achieving more with the same squad. Its not a good league and not many squads stand out.

All the chopping and changing of personnel and formations really concerns me. Oh and the dull as ditchwater interviews.....it just doesn't inspire me. I thought Nigel Clough was bad but Cocu's in a different league !

I'll say once again I am not saying we should sack him just that so far he hasn't convinced me. 

And nothing that he says in an interview will change that.

I'm sure they could, just as long as their focus was entirely on getting results and they didn't have a remit of bringing through the youth players, and didn't have 5 or 6 first teamers out with medium to long term injuries.

Nigel Clough's most used word was "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" and he's the sort of manager who baalocks players for celebrating scoring a goal in a local Derby game. Is it any wonder his ceiling is upper mid table Championship?  You're right, Cocu is most certainly in a different league.

Fans on here saying they’ll stay away etc ...do that then...you won’t be missed in fact people around you might have a more enjoyable match experience without your moaning!!

where were you when we were in the old 3rd division eh...??

we didn’t exactly smash that division in our first season I think we came about 8th and some of the football was carp but it didn’t stop some fans travelling hundreds of miles week in week out including midweek jaunts to Rotherham and Crewe and places like that but that’s called being a supporter !!....teams have dips as we are now with the personnel left behind by Frank ...we have been in and around the play offs for years but this season we are pretty poor and need sorting out so let the manager do that and give him some time....perhaps even a full transfer window eh before people start calling for him to go

i have questioned some decisions myself and that’s what fans do...everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it but if you expect success if you can call it that season after season getting in and around the play offs then perhaps you’re being unrealistic especially when frank left us in the lurch as this squad is pretty poor imo 

also if you want a manager who rants and raves and throws teacups then perhaps you’re never going to like Cocu no matter how he does as he’s not demonstrating he cares in your eyes and is sooooo boring in your opinion ...I’ve always found managers who rant and rave don’t get there point across any more than a quite gentlemanly approach 

Pep is hardly a laugh a minute and yet is a great manager...everyone has there own style ...please give the bloke a break and don’t just support DCFC in the good times eh because every team would like to be successful and no one is guaranteed it ....especially in the championship ....just give him time 

12 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Maybe Cocu is doing ok but fans are too fickle and impatient to accept his situation. Losing the three loanees plus Keogh was tough. Plus look at the injuries - Huddlestone, Shinnie, now Bielik plus other players from time to time. The main problem I have is he hasn’t found any positive formula away from home, plus he put out a weak side against Forest in the cup. But I think with everything that’s gone on, it would be foolish to accept this team is a top six team at the moment. He hasn’t even been able to bring his own players in. Roos is not better than Carson. Davies and whoever is next to him are not better than Keogh and Tomori. Apart from Bielik the squad is weaker. 

Keogh is a loss.

But he had 4 weeks to identify and bring in replacements for the 3 players that are no longer with us on loan.. If he wasn't aware of our current squads requirements and suitable replacements, maybe he wasn't the right person for the job? 

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Fans on here saying they’ll stay away etc ...do that then...you won’t be missed in fact people around you might have a more enjoyable match experience without your moaning!!

where were you when we were in the old 3rd division eh...??

we didn’t exactly smash that division in our first season I think we came about 8th and some of the football was carp but it didn’t stop some fans travelling hundreds of miles week in week out including midweek jaunts to Rotherham and Crewe and places like that but that’s called being a supporter !!....teams have dips as we are now with the personnel left behind by Frank ...we have been in and around the play offs for years but this season we are pretty poor and need sorting out so let the manager do that and give him some time....perhaps even a full transfer window eh before people start calling for him to go

i have questioned some decisions myself and that’s what fans do...everyone has an opinion and are entitled to it but if you expect success if you can call it that season after season getting in and around the play offs then perhaps you’re being unrealistic especially when frank left us in the lurch as this squad is pretty poor imo 

also if you want a manager who rants and raves and throws teacups then perhaps you’re never going to like Cocu no matter how he does as he’s not demonstrating he cares in your eyes and is sooooo boring in your opinion ...I’ve always found managers who rant and rave don’t get there point across any more than a quite gentlemanly approach 

Pep is hardly a laugh a minute and yet is a great manager...everyone has there own style ...please give the bloke a break and don’t just support DCFC in the good times eh because every team would like to be successful and no one is guaranteed it ....especially in the championship ....just give him time 

Great Post mate, have a like from me, yes I was there in the old third division, will never forget that night we beat Rotherham to go up, great scenes never to be forgotten, having watched Derby since 1979 under mangers like the doc, Addison, Newman and the likes, having Cocu here is something we should look forward to, we all said we would give him time, 19 games is not time, give him at least 3 more transfer windows and see where we are then, in Cocu I trust 

20 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

We’ve been much worse than this and never dropped below 20k regularly at home. 

Archived