Endearing players

mozza

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread.

Waggy would be top of my list as I had doubts about him.

Duane,Tom Lawrence,Fozzy,Wardrobe,Max Lowe.

I’m going to put Bizzle because he seems like a nice lad who could do with an intervention perhaps he should do a week of stuff here.

And going off topic Keogh for personal reasons,I’d give him a hug and call him a dick.

7 hours ago, David said:

Forsyth, Bogle, Davies, Holmes, Lawrence, Waghorn, Marriott, Sibley, Knight.

And Wayne Rooney. 

Still not sunk in. 

Taking the thread at face value (mainly cos I am awake early and have the day clear and feel positive we will win)...I think you are a much more caring person than me!!

Forsyth definitely! Battled back again and again, feel for the lad and he always gives everything.

Bogle.. I wouldn't say he is especially endearing but I rate him as a player..so a possible...

Davis at least intellectually he seems to have maturity above the level of some of the other idiots, but 'endearing' is pushing it.

Holmes...is small and tries hard, kinda endearing I suppose.

Lawrence? Total opposite... Frustrating, flashy... pauper's Ronaldo.

Waghorn.. looks like a rugby league player, and drags himself round the pitch with the touch of rugby league player too...although he does seem a decent guy to be fair.

Marriott.... 'questionable' attitude, lots of little injuries, feels like unfulfilled potential at the moment, which is not endearing.

Sibley and Knight haven't featured enough for me to have an emotion attached to them.

Rooney? I am excited...but endearing? Hair transplant, lots of questionable personal stuff, mega-millionaire with a wife who is permanently on holiday...not endearing for me...

Endearing doesn't always win you much and I am fully aware my feelings are based on very little other then small-minded irks!

Endearing in general...I think requires some kind of connection with the fans and some humility on the part of the player. With the prolonged lack of success, high turnover of players, the recent drinking incident, the Jekyll and Hyde performances home and away, Cocu's restrained personal style....its all combining to create a bit of a 'feel-bad' environment compared to even last year's Lampard feel-good vibe. 

Casting my mind back..to me... Jim Smith was endearing... Lionel Pickering....Van Der Laan...Tommy Johnson, Chris Powell...

But Billy Davies, Shilton, Stimac, Saunders...? They weren't and they did ok ..

Anyway...he did ask..

9 hours ago, Sean said:

Controversial opinion: Tom Lawrence. I think he's really knuckled down and seems appreciative of what he has post-crash.

Must say, before reading any replies, that was the first name to come into my head.
I was more than a little livid with him (and others!) at the time, (and made my feelings known on here) and it took a while for me to "calm down", but I do like the way TL appears to have responded to the whole sorry mess, publicly at least.

"Endear" is probably too strong a term, but yeah, his reaction thus far has certainly drawn me to him a little.  Maybe I'm just going soft in my old age!

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Taking the thread at face value (mainly cos I am awake early and have the day clear and feel positive we will win)...I think you are a much more caring person than me!!

I’m more of a lover than a hater, heart on my sleeve when it comes to Derby players

Good question and like others I’m finding it hard to answer. 

I think for the first time it’s the manager above anyone else. I bloody love Phillip Cocu - his attitude, demeanour, vision for the club. I want us to succeed for him, rather than any specific player. Always wanted to see us get promotion with Keogh and Bryson regardless of who was in charge, but now that’s all over it’s Cocu who I’d like to see reach his goals. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Must say, before reading any replies, that was the first name to come into my head.
I was more than a little livid with him (and others!) at the time, (and made my feelings known on here) and it took a while for me to "calm down", but I do like the way TL appears to have responded to the whole sorry mess, publicly at least.

"Endear" is probably too strong a term, but yeah, his reaction thus far has certainly drawn me to him a little.  Maybe I'm just going soft in my old age!

If his recent form (excluding Fulham) becomes permanent, the crash will be the best thing that’s ever happened to him, as a man and a footballer.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Our best striker for over a decade or more...

Chris Martin.

013E74FF-09F8-420E-99F5-55E06D086248.jpeg

Endearing?? Massive wage packet (allegedly?) sulky face, arms in the air, diving...not the word I would use.

Great goalscorer and leader of the line on his day...and massive grudging respect for coming back and proving many (myself included) wrong.

Archived