Thank you Richard

inter politics

6 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Don’t do hero’s or villains myself, he is a footballer who for me gave everything when putting the shirt on which I will always respect.

But first and foremost he is a human being, much as I detested GRs stint at Derby, I never once wished the sack upon him and would rather he had been successful, similarly when he left I gained no satisfaction when he failed at stoke. That’s where I feel sorry for RK, yes he made a mistake, getting into a car driven by someone who was intoxicated, and has lost his career and has been sacked as the result of it.

Fair enough it’s been done on the back of what is best for the club however it doesn’t mean that I can’t still respect his time at the club and  What he’s done for us.

Ok, i get all of that but surely when campy turns up at pride park with a man bun you must be tempted to edge towards villain? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paul71 said:

Ok, i get all of that but surely when campy turns up at pride park with a man bun you must be tempted to edge towards villain? 

Fair point, although he is more of a pantomime villain as we saw with Martins goal.

Just now, AdamRam said:

Fair point, although he is more of a pantomime villain as we saw with Martins goal.

True,  proper Derby fan really,  shall i try and save it, nah ill not bother 

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Do you not think it's harsh to judge a good man by the worst thing he's done, rather than the best?

I think it’s a pretty damn significantly bad thing that he’s done, bad enough to outweigh much of the good he did here sadly. In a few years time I’ll probably judge him slightly differently, but right now this whole mess is what’s in my mind. Same goes for the other two btw.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

.... In a few years time I’ll probably judge him slightly differently, but right now this whole mess is what’s in my mind. 

TBH I think that in a few years time this incident will weigh even heavier as there is no real overall positive (ie promotion) to his time here.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

TBH I think that in a few years time this incident will weigh even heavier as there is no real overall positive (ie promotion) to his time here.

Perhaps so, but I’m talking a little longer term than that, say 10 years time looking back. Mind knowing the last decade well probably still have not made it back to the big time by then!

14 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

A hero? Not at all. A long servant but that’s all. I’ve never been a fan but actually felt sorry for him when everyone got on his back. Wish I hadn’t have bothered. Don’t feel sorry for him now. 

Cheers Geoff 

I think a lot of people didn’t rate him because he’s a modern centre-half. He was a playmaker as much a centre-half and in a funny sort of way he was our best midfielder for two seasons.

Quick enough to play in a high-line, brought the ball down and played most of the time, zipped the ball through the lines and organised player’s positioning when in possession. For two seasons he was the only player we had who could inject any tempo into our play. 

He’s very similar to John Stones who himself is treated with much derision in this country by ‘the proper football men’.

44 minutes ago, cannable said:

He’s very similar to John Stones who himself is treated with much derision in this country by ‘the proper football men’.

I do like a ball playing centre half but I imagine some of the criticism of Stones comes from the amount of times he makes errors when he's playing from the back leading to goals for the other teams.

Heroes are people that patch up young men and save the lives of those that get behind a wheel when drunk, and those caught up in the aftermath, for a fraction of what professional footballers earn in a month.

I’ve defended Keogh against detractors, I’ve chanted his name. He was our captain, but I won’t hold him in the same regard as I do other players with a similar contribution. He’s shown zero remorse in my eyes, by rejecting the opportunity to stay at the club.

I appreciate the need for radio silence until the process has taken its course, but now he’s rejected our offer to support him during his rehabilitation the fans won’t even get a heartfelt apology - how could he now? It would be crocodile tears.

Thanks for memories Richard, but nothing more.

One of my most clear memories of Richard Keogh was at Bristol City away a few years back.

He dilly-dallied on the ball for too long on the half-way line, and ended up getting forced to run back towards Scott Carson. The City forward was right on top of him, so he played a back-pass to the keeper, but he didn't put enough weight on it.

Carson had to come running out to the ball, which was now being chased down by the Bristol City striker. Carson slides in and manages to clear it to safety in the stands.

The reaction? Keogh absolutely baalocks Carson. "What the **** are you doing?!" he was saying to him. It was his error in the first place.

14 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

One of my most clear memories of Richard Keogh was at Bristol City away a few years back.

He dilly-dallied on the ball for too long on the half-way line, and ended up getting forced to run back towards Scott Carson. The City forward was right on top of him, so he played a back-pass to the keeper, but he didn't put enough weight on it.

Carson had to come running out to the ball, which was now being chased down by the Bristol City striker. Carson slides in and manages to clear it to safety in the stands.

The reaction? Keogh absolutely baalocks Carson. "What the **** are you doing?!" he was saying to him. It was his error in the first place.

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

"Captain".

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I think a lot of people didn’t rate him because he’s a modern centre-half. He was a playmaker as much a centre-half and in a funny sort of way he was our best midfielder for two seasons.

Quick enough to play in a high-line, brought the ball down and played most of the time, zipped the ball through the lines and organised player’s positioning when in possession. For two seasons he was the only player we had who could inject any tempo into our play. 

This is true.

Keogh has been used as a crutch for a failing midfield for years, ever since we lost the use of Eustace/Hendrick/Hughes/Bryson/Thorne as the basis for things. 

He's been so reliable in that role that we've become ridiculously lazy and when we have bought new midfielders they've been the wrong sort of players to fix the issues. Now we've bought Bielik hoping we've finally found the right player, but the jury is still out.

Keogh wasn't really going on those runs through the lines from 2013-2015

If you get the right midfield balance you don't need a central defender running 50 yards with it, breaking lines etc. Plenty of teams are capable of playing good football with perfectly perfunctory centre backs (I don't mean ones who are outright awful at passing like Shackell & Pearce)

Most other teams don't have 'a Keogh type' player nor are most fans calling out for their team to get one.

We've also never really had a long enough spell without Keogh for any other players to adapt, and the team to adapt to his absence. It's always been a case of he'll be back in a few games, so we'll just trying to play the same way with different players. We're having/choosing to do that now too while we wait to see what January brings.

On 30/10/2019 at 21:34, Boycie said:

One moment of madness has changed lots of lives.

He’ll not be the last.

But he was a great servant to the club and gave his all seemingly to the club and fans.

Thank you Richard.

Was gonna say the same about the moment of madness, it did change a lot of lives.

We'd be in Leicester's position now if it wasn't for that scuffed clearance at Wembley ?

Someone trying to get a chant going for him today. I truly hope not, hopefully the sensible fans will sing a song of support for those trying to help the club in the pitch and drown it out, not the one who has damaged himself and the team 

On 30/10/2019 at 20:09, Millenniumram said:

It’s a shame really, but I find it very difficult to thank him after how all this has ended. And it truly is a shame, because he’s been a great servant and player over the years, and probably would’ve been very close to legendary status had he seen his contract length through. Despite his many deluded detractors, he has been a top class player at this level for years now- you won’t find a better cb at this level in fact- and he really did put his all into every game he played for us. For that, you really have to appreciate the bloke. But I’m afraid his status has been absolutely destroyed beyond repair by how everything here has ended, and he leaves with his name disgraced. And it really is through no fault but his own. Because of that, and what he did, I can’t thank him for his service. A great shame for a player who should’ve been remembered fondly, but he only has himself to blame. Hopefully we can now move on from this whole episode soon and forget about those players involved (including the other two!)

It's so easy to judge people and think that one action, either good or bad defines them. 

But the reality is we're super complex creatures.

Ali was known to hit his wife. Mandela was a terrorist for many years. And Martin Luther King was growing  increasingly supportive of violent action before his murder. 

I doubt there's anybody who uses this board hasn't or won't do something as stupid as getting in a car with somebody who's drunk too much in their life time. 

Archived