#OllieMeets Cocu

SaintRam

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I must stress, this is just my opinion, and I don't mean to push this as a fact.

I just believe that, in terms of:

a) what he has achieved in the game as a player

b) what he has achieved in the game already as a manager

c) the philosophy he has been raised in and brings with him (which is subjective, I know)

....he is the highest quality manager we have had, second only to Steve McClaren, in the last ten years. I think when you read some of the comments from Mel about the effect he is having around the entire club, from youth academy up, combined with the way he is spoken about he by Liam, Waggy and Ollie (who clearly adores him), you can see that this manager is just on another level. Especially compared to some of the people we've had in charge in recent years.

Thanks @Nuwtfly; for clarifying your answer. I've watched the video now, and it's very interesting. I must say that Holloway is a good interviewer. He shows a lot of deference to Phillip...he's very much in awe as he himself says. And I can't disagree with you points a) and b) @Nuwtfly, nor C), although I'm wondering how his philosophy has impacted on the players, if it has yet. What I'm not sure about is when Holloway says how a philosophy takes a lot time to be embedded in a Club; I think back to that famous evening when Mac#1 stormed down to the dressing-room at half-time with Derby trailing 3-1 to Ipswich...we know what happened next. And I think back to last season and watching a Bielsa-inspired Leeds at PP give us a lesson in fast, attacking, high-energy, hugely entertaining football; he'd only been at Leeds a short time but his impact was crystal clear. So, I'm not sure it does take a long time to put across a way of playing. Football is a very simple game. I watched the first game this season and I saw us cut through Huddersfield away like a guillotine through paper; some of our passing was very fast, one-touch, sharp and straight to our players who pinged it around like table-footballers. I thought to myself "wow...fast, deadly precise counter-attacking football"...we then sat back and watched our area under siege for the entire second half. We hung on; somehow. We went into a 2-0 lead v Brum, then dropped back and before we knew it, it was 2-2. Okay we turned it around but B'ham were unlucky. Then at Barnsley, 2-1 up, we dropped deep; they hadn't won since the first day of the season, were full of very young and inexperienced 20-somethings...and those of us at Oakwell for the last 25 minutes could sense that we were going to concede late on. Which we did. It felt like a loss. We played a good first half against Luton...then dropped deep and let them string 16 pass moves together. We were at home against a team who have also struggled early doors. 

So, I'm starting to try and evince the pattern and hence the philosophy of Phillip's Derby team, and, unless I'm mistaken, it seems pretty conservative and somewhat lacking in ambition if what we've seen so far has anything to go by. The quick, slick, fast passing has petered out and we look laboured and awkward. Potentially there's a whole heap of mitigation that no doubt some will be quick to point out {not "his" players, injuries, disrupted pre-season, "boozegate", et cetera}. And what about his judgement of players? Josefzoon? And what has Shinnie altered about his play to get in the side? We saw a glimpse of Martin and Marriott on the field together in Florida and we saw a potential Swindlehirst-Biley type symbiosis...just a glimpse but the deftness of Marriott allied to the intelligence of Martin will unlock defences. 

So, I'm not saying I'm not going to be patient; I've been watching Derby County for 43 years like a great many others so I'm a seasoned supporter who understands the swings and roundabouts, but I'm genuinely interested in discussing and debating what we think we see; I love the Jungian quote that "there's no such thing as reality" and I think that is very apposite when it comes to football. And I never boo any player but I do moan out loud at a game if I get frustrated. I see our defenders receive the ball from Roos, and I see a static midfield and I wonder, why isn't josefzoon, or others moving inside to receive the ball...It's not rocket science.  Are players hiding? Where is the leadership? Do they not have fire in their belly? I have a theory that teams mimic the personality of their managers and I just wonder if Phillip's very calm exterior, presumably at all times, is absorbed by the players to the point that their half asleep when they take to the field...?!

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

Sorry, I meant to put "seconded only by Steve McClaren!" 

Silly me!

They are still both very good.

I prefer McClaren a bit because his football was very attacking from the outset; so far Cocu has been much more cautious.  But he hasn't got some of the talent at his disposal that McClaren had.

Early days yet so happy to give him time.

6 hours ago, papa_lazarou said:

Patience is the key. We aren't going to set the world on fire right now. Let the man and his team of coaches build something which will hopefully last. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Yep, lets give him next summer before we judge

54 minutes ago, angieram said:

They are still both very good.

I prefer McClaren a bit because his football was very attacking from the outset; so far Cocu has been much more cautious.  But he hasn't got some of the talent at his disposal that McClaren had.

Early days yet so happy to give him time.

If Cocu got us promoted playing terrible football (a very hypothetical question), who would you prefer?

1 minute ago, angieram said:

McClaren.

I want us to go up but only if we can stay up. 

Interesting. It does seem that the sides who play good football have a better chance of surviving, but I think it would be harsh to judge anything until we actually played a season in the Premier League. I’d also take a promotion followed by a relegation after 5 seasons of just falling short.

On a personal level, I get the feeling that Cocu is the most honorable man we’ve had in charge since Nigel. Just a hunch.

Mac gets all the credit but Clough built that 13/14 team. Mac just made a few minor adjustments. When it comes to building a squad he is absolutey useless (see Forest, Newcastle, and QPR). 

I genuinely feel Cocu is a class above and we are unbelievabley lucky to have him. Give him time and hopefully investment, and I can see us flourishing. 

2 hours ago, hales300k said:

Got it in one Steve , hoping Shinnie is a modern version of the Welsh Wizard .  Cox,s recruitment from that period looks amazing with hindsight 

Ron Jukes - chief scout 

arthur turned down steve bull as he'd already signed phil gee and dave penney -also found by ron jukes

image.thumb.jpeg.41b4610a46af28586a411b2eb5f8ed82.jpeg

Great interview.

We must give Cocu time. Not only will he get us promoted, he will establish us as a top flight team again.

Let's hope if new owners/investors do come in, they don't do that nonsense of "installing their own man". We are lucky to have such a class manager, let's keep him and rebuild this great club.

COYR ?

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

arthur turned down steve bull as he'd already signed phil gee and dave penney -also found by ron jukes

Thank god for that.

As good as Steve Bull was, and Arthur's team would have been far better and gone much further with him, we would not have had the pleasure of belting out the old Beatles classic, "Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee, scoring goals for Derby, Phillip Gee...."

"woolly bully" although rather apt, would not have cut it for me.

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Thank god for that.

As good as Steve Bull was, and Arthur's team would have been far better and gone much further with him, we would not have had the pleasure of belting out the old Beatles classic, "Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee, Phillip Gee, scoring goals for Derby, Phillip Gee...."

"woolly bully" although rather apt, would not have cut it for me.

Yes, true. But then again, I remember inviting my very good Wolves-supporting friend into the Ossie End, paying for his ticket on a Wednesday night, and watching forlornly, as said Bull tore Derby's defence to ribbons scoring a first half hat-trick and noting the half-smug smile look on his {my friend's} face. There was a famous Wolves fan banner at the time which travelled home and away which simply stated in bold letters on a white background "Beware of the Bull". Full-time: Derby 1: 4 Wolves. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes, true. But then again, I remember inviting my very good Wolves-supporting friend into the Ossie End, paying for his ticket on a Wednesday night, and watching forlornly, as said Bull tore Derby's defence to ribbons scoring a first half hat-trick and noting the half-smug smile look on his {my friend's} face. There was a famous Wolves fan banner at the time which travelled home and away which simply stated in bold letters on a white background "Beware of the Bull". Full-time: Derby 1: 4 Wolves. 

"tis better to fail gloriously and have a better song"

said no one ever ☹️

20 hours ago, SaintRam said:

We got the RamsTV meets Ian when he came to make this; a good watch.

What a great reminder of who we have as our manager and what a great job Mel did in recruiting him. We must give Phillip and Mel time. I can sense and see the kneejerk reaction starting to appear from some who are understandably anxious for success. Give this guy time and I am convinced we will fly. UTR

Great interview, 'Ollie' was a bit starstruck and I don't think it needed the background music but Cocu came across really well.

I don't care where we end up this season tbh, I just hope he gets the time and chance to build the squad he wants. I honestly believe we'll be comfortable in the PL if he does. 

Archived