#OllieMeets Cocu

SaintRam

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Quality watch.

I genuinely think Phillip Cocu is the "best" manager we have had in the last ten years. He's on another level and you get that impression so much from the way everyone speaks about him in this video.

Class!

Patience is the key. We aren't going to set the world on fire right now. Let the man and his team of coaches build something which will hopefully last. Rome wasn't built in a day.

52 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Quality watch.

I genuinely think Phillip Cocu is the "best" manager we have had in the last ten years. He's on another level and you get that impression so much from the way everyone speaks about him in this video.

Class!

It all depends on what is meant by “best” and I note @Nuwtfly that you included the word in quotes too. So, to translate this statement into detail to qualify he will be superior to Nigel Clough, Schteeve, Pearson, Paul Clement, Gary Rowett and not forgetting Darren Wassall. But in what way is he the best? Football management is a multi-dimensional construct with a large number of facets. So which facets do you think he is the best at? All of them? The majority? A larger proportion than the above managers? 

I’ve heard it said that Cocu comes across as a bit too cerebral {a bit like Hardy Kruger as the German aeronautical engineer in the 1965 film, Flight of the Phoenix} and the fact that English is not his first language means that the players struggle to properly “get” what he means.

So is he the best in terms of being the “cleverest”? What else?

This isn’t a trick question. I’m genuinely interested in understanding Phillip better. I wonder for example what it was about Graham Shinnie’s game that meant he wasn’t used for 6 weeks when we’ve been crying out for a new John Eustace...Bringing in Chris Martin, partnering Martin with Marriott, ...et cetera. I want to understand and know Phillip Cocu better. At the moment he seems to me rather enigmatic, repressed, reserved and somewhat aloof. 

25 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It all depends on what is meant by “best” and I note @Nuwtfly that you included the word in quotes too. So, to translate this statement into detail to qualify he will be superior to Nigel Clough, Schteeve, Pearson, Paul Clement, Gary Rowett and not forgetting Darren Wassall. But in what way is he the best? Football management is a multi-dimensional construct with a large number of facets. So which facets do you think he is the best at? All of them? The majority? A larger proportion than the above managers? 

I must stress, this is just my opinion, and I don't mean to push this as a fact.

I just believe that, in terms of:

a) what he has achieved in the game as a player

b) what he has achieved in the game already as a manager

c) the philosophy he has been raised in and brings with him (which is subjective, I know)

....he is the highest quality manager we have had, second only to Steve McClaren, in the last ten years. I think when you read some of the comments from Mel about the effect he is having around the entire club, from youth academy up, combined with the way he is spoken about he by Liam, Waggy and Ollie (who clearly adores him), you can see that this manager is just on another level. Especially compared to some of the people we've had in charge in recent years.

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I must stress, this is just my opinion, and I don't mean to push this as a fact.

I just believe that, in terms of:

a) what he has achieved in the game as a player

b) what he has achieved in the game already as a manager

c) the philosophy he has been raised in and brings with him (which is subjective, I know)

....he is the highest quality manager we have had, second only to Steve McClaren, in the last ten years. I think when you read some of the comments from Mel about the effect he is having around the entire club, from youth academy up, combined with the way he is spoken about he by Liam, Waggy and Ollie (who clearly adores him), you can see that this manager is just on another level. Especially compared to some of the people we've had in charge in recent years.

So is he the best manager we've had in the last ten years or the second best manager to Steve McClaren? 

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I’ve heard it said that Cocu comes across as a bit too cerebral {a bit like Hardy Kruger as the German aeronautical engineer in the 1965 film, Flight of the Phoenix} and the fact that English is not his first language means that the players struggle to properly “get” what he means.

So is he the best in terms of being the “cleverest”? What else?

This isn’t a trick question. I’m genuinely interested in understanding Phillip better. I wonder for example what it was about Graham Shinnie’s game that meant he wasn’t used for 6 weeks when we’ve been crying out for a new John Eustace...Bringing in Chris Martin, partnering Martin with Marriott, ...et cetera. I want to understand and know Phillip Cocu better. At the moment he seems to me rather enigmatic, repressed, reserved and somewhat aloof. 

I think when it comes to individual players it's worth keeping in mind that it's still fairly early days and he's not had a huge amount of time to judge players relatively speaking. Also when you combine that with the disruption due to injuries it's challenging to specifically pick which players to go with.

Personally I think the answers to why Shinnie or Martin or Davies  haven't been included until now are fairly obvious and Cocu in the case of Shinnie and Davies has almost said it out right. With both Shinnie and Davies I strongly suspect it's their technical ability that Cocu has been wary about. Martin is a little different but I suspect has suffered from the case of being out of the picture for the last few years. 

To be honest when it comes to Cocu for the most part I've personal found him easier to follow why he's made certain decisions than a lot of managers we've had. 

Good watch , heard Holloway recently on the radio say he nearly signed for us , was playing for Bristol Rovers and Derby came to check him out , but he played poorly , but his team mate shone and we signed him instead , bet the oldies on here will know who ?

8 minutes ago, hales300k said:

Good watch , heard Holloway recently on the radio say he nearly signed for us , was playing for Bristol Rovers and Derby came to check him out , but he played poorly , but his team mate shone and we signed him instead , bet the oldies on here will know who ?

Geraint Williams. 

7 minutes ago, hales300k said:

Quite possibly Geraint 'George' Williams. We could do with him now if Bieliks injury is serious. 

Archived