Bonding with the players

Ellafella

There was a time when if you turned up at PP about 12 you could meet the players as they entered the stadium, and get autographs and pictures. This helped a lot of fans to bond with the players. However since Lampard the players turn up far earlier and this opportunity has been lost. 

I think the Club need to come up with an opportunity for this bonding to happen again. Obviously at present it’s tricky but as the dust settles it’s something that needs to happen. 

Do you agree? 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I get the impression Cocu is not really a fans fan.  Not as interactive with the fans as Lampard was.   I've not seen him enough to form a firm opinion though. 

He always acknowledges the fans in his interviews though. I just don't think he's that bothered about being adored by us.

Funnily enough, I wished that the fans would focus less on Lampard and more on the players last year. With Cocu, I wish it was the other way round. We need to come up with a proper song for him.

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

I get the impression Cocu is not really a fans fan.  Not as interactive with the fans as Lampard was.   I've not seen him enough to form a firm opinion though. 

You could be right.

On the other hand, maybe he’ll be a bit more interactive and will do the bounce and so on when he thinks our league position warrants it. 

54 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's not exactly difficult to access players before or after the game if you want to. I think they just arrive a little earlier than they used to but they did this last season too. They are still happy to pose for photos. 

Yes I’m sure @angieram but getting to PP  for 11 am is a tad inconvenient for many. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Yes I’m sure @angieram but getting to PP  for 11 am is a tad inconvenient for many. 

Then maybe they could stay behind after if that's not also inconvenient? 

Maybe the club could arrange for players to visit fans at their seats 15 minutes before kick off? ?

40 minutes ago, angieram said:

Then maybe they could stay behind after if that's not also inconvenient? 

Maybe the club could arrange for players to visit fans at their seats 15 minutes before kick off? ?

Some say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but I know you’re better than that @angieram; I’m trying to help the Club heal a rift between them and some fans and improve bonding generally. Perhaps I’ll keep my own counsel in future. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Some say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but I know you’re better than that @angieram; I’m trying to help the Club heal a rift between them and some fans and improve bonding generally. Perhaps I’ll keep my own counsel in future. 

I was actually joking, hence the emoji.

However, I would be interested in knowing what you think can be done to make fans bond with the players.

As well as matchdays, there has been a recent Sunday signing at the DW complex next door to Pride Park on a Sunday with Lowe, Waghorn and Sibley.

Players regularly do signings in half terms, open coaching etc. 

They also attend lots of Derby County Community Trust events (the most recent being the unfortunately Drinkaware sponsored walking football event) and I regularly see random photos of players out and about with various fans on Twitter. 

I am at a bit of a loss to know what more it is you think they could do.

13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

There was a time when if you turned up at PP about 12 you could meet the players as they entered the stadium, and get autographs and pictures. This helped a lot of fans to bond with the players. However since Lampard the players turn up far earlier and this opportunity has been lost. 

I think the Club need to come up with an opportunity for this bonding to happen again. Obviously at present it’s tricky but as the dust settles it’s something that needs to happen. 

Do you agree? 

Might be able to see a few of them doing community service soon 

Archived