One Thing You Wish You Had Seen

DarkFruitsRam7

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

How my missus is with me now, twenty years back.

Oh football, right got to be beating Real Madrid at the BBG, regardless of away leg that night must have been so special.

Yes, that would be mine too. My then boyfriend, now hubby was there, but I was away at Uni listening on my tranny radio. I posted updates on my room door and raced up and down the corridor screaming to anyone prepared to listen when we won! 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, angieram said:

I posted updates on my room door and raced up and down the corridor screaming to anyone prepared to listen when we won! 

Clearly not on the same scale, but I was similar in my uni dorm when watching us knock Southampton out of the FA Cup on Rams TV. What a game that was. You can add it to the list of things I wish I’d seen. Unfortunately, it would have been impossible to get back for my exam the next morning.

Oh for the day when I can annoy people by telling them that we’re beating Real Madrid!

After the final whistle of my first game, The players returned onto the pitch to show of the second of our First Div. Championship trophies, so I have seen a little "glory", but I did miss out on the glory days, in the true sense.

I would have loved to have seen us win The FA Cup Final more than anything... let's hope "There's time yet"!

I shed a tear as I stood watching the WBA PO Final win in a bar on Majorca, so yeah... I certainly wished I was there at the time... although after what happened next (season), I guess my regret has diminished somewhat!

Those "proper" Euro nights do sound something special, but I mustn't grumble... after all, I did see us put 12 past The Mighty Finn Harps!

I've seen us donk 8 past Spurs, and a good few 5's over the years.  "Underdog" wins v Forest in the cup.  Away wins at places like Highbury, Goodison, Stamford Bridge, St James' Park, Maine Rd etc.  I've travelled to a good number of the (then) major grounds in the country, and somehow managed to get through the peak hooligan years with my face still as handsome now as it was back then... give or take the odd wrinkle!

No... FA Cup Final aside, I ain't had it too bad.  No true regrets here!  UTR.

4 hours ago, gfs1ram said:

Wish I had seen the 3-1 Chelsea League Cup Tie in the late 60"s.

Had a season ticket but was sent to work away from Derby for a time and gave my ticket to my dear old Dad.

Greatest atmosphere ever at the BBG - apparently!!

No "apparently" at all, as @oldtimeram says above "absolutely!

My "missing wish" would be the 8-2 drubbing of Spurs at home - was away in Scotland for that one.

1 minute ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

My "missing wish" would be the 8-2 drubbing of Spurs at home - was away in Scotland for that one.

I actually had a soft spot for them back then... and indeed even before I caught the DCFC bug (at the relatively late age of 12).  For some reason though, that made this particular game even sweeter!  One of my best memories of many, from the Ossie End.

34 minutes ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

I also missed that Spurs game. Foolishly agreed to attend a mates wedding. Never forgave him and his wife for getting married during the football season. 

It didn't help that the reception was held in a pub that was within earshot of the BBG and we could hear the cheers every time we scored.

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes, that would be mine too. My then boyfriend, now hubby was there, but I was away at Uni listening on my tranny radio. I posted updates on my room door and raced up and down the corridor screaming to anyone prepared to listen when we won! 

5 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

I shared a season ticket with my older bro, yet somehow got to all the best games. Hence 4-1 against Real Madrid and 8-2 against Spurs. Sorry you two missed out.

As a mathematical physicist I'm conscious of the butterfly effect. The game I missed was the Man Utd semi final defeat at Hillsboro'. But as I repeatedly said to my old man, if he'd taken me it would all have been different! One match that destroyed our football club. I'd watch it and by the act of watching it, I'd change it.

Obviously the glory days I wish I'd seen. I'd have killed to have been at Elland road last year as well. I'd have loved to have been at the 5-0 demolition of forest as well but was stuck at uni for that. Although i was at the 10 men win victory so you can't have it all i guess. 

Archived