Team Spirit

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Fair to say it looked fantastic last year?

I’ve no idea what it’s like this season.

I’m just asking the question as to wether it’s good/bad Or is it an issue?

Our mood is pretty bad,what about the players?

Have we got the right characters?

You’re right to raise this. At the heart of every successful team is a fervent desire to help your teammates by rallying to their aid when they need help. It’s about knowing your responsibility within the framework of a group.

All season, I have seen players in possession, under pressure from opponents, frantically searching for an outlet. What they get is a casual raised arm from someone in no space or worse still, a line of turned backs.

We also have players in possession who ignore the better opportunity of their colleagues and those who will not sprint back to cover defensive duties. They jog through a game which flows at pace. 

If you attack and defend as a pack, you will be successful. You don’t have to be best mates, just know your duty.

There are some stern team talks needed to turn it around but we will get there, even if some popular figures have to be jettisoned.

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Fair to say it looked fantastic last year?

I’ve no idea what it’s like this season.

I’m just asking the question as to wether it’s good/bad Or is it an issue?

Our mood is pretty bad,what about the players?

Have we got the right characters?

There was an interview on RamsTV about 10 days ago. One of the senior players, but sadly I don't remember which one. 

I do remember what was said though, because it surprised me. 

'I didn't think the team spirit could get better than last year, but the new lads have slotted right in. It's a great dressing room. Everyone gets on.' 

9 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

There was an interview on RamsTV about 10 days ago. One of the senior players, but sadly I don't remember which one. 

'I didn't think the team spirit could get better than last year, but the new lads have slotted right in. It's a great dressing room. Everyone gets on.' 

I seem to recall that comment too. Could possibly have been Kelle Roos. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Honest question, why did the comment surprise you?  Is he not just suggesting the team spirit last year was at a pinnacle and couldn't be surpassed. He's not saying it's bad this year, all is good in the dressing room. 

If he was asked a direct question about team spirit compared to last year, it's difficult to see how he could have answered it any better on the spur of the moment. 

At present i think the dressing room is ok between the players,however i do get the feeling that Cocu and his team are no were near bonding with the team in the same way as FL and his staff did

I dont like to see Cocu come out after games and show disrespect for our players and there effort even if there performance was below par that needs keeping behind closed doors and not coming over to fans to thank them especially after yesterdays dire performance everything FL built up as already been lost and its rubbing off on our team

4 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

I dont like to see Cocu come out after games and show disrespect for our players and there effort even if there performance was below par 

Showing disrespect would have been saying nothing and suggesting it would be okay with a bit of tweeking. Sod 'em all, yesterday sounded horrific and the highlights were real lo-lights! Something is wrong and ignoring it won't help.

5 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

I dont like to see Cocu come out after games and show disrespect for our players and there effort even if there performance was below par that needs keeping behind closed doors and not coming over to fans to thank them especially after yesterdays dire performance everything FL built up as already been lost and its rubbing off on our team

Id much rather he did what he did. He didn't single individuals out but made it clear that was unacceptable. If he had made excuses and pretended that was okay, that would be a downright lie and further distance himself from the fans. If the players need mollycoddling and telling everything is alright with that shower of poo then they need to duck off home. I wouldn't mind so much putting in 100% effort (a la Bryson) but getting the same result, but when it's strolling and apathy combined with that score line, it won't and can't be tolerated.

Suspect that one or two players only bought into what we did before because of our manager’s celebrity status.

We need more Keoghs. Doesn’t matter if it’s Lampard, Clough or Rowett to him - his professionalism and commitment remains just the same.

34 minutes ago, Duracell said:

We need more Keoghs. Doesn’t matter if it’s Lampard, Clough or Rowett to him - his professionalism and commitment remains just the same.

Didnt like the way he yelled at Buchanan though. He's a kid ffs can you imagine Keogh being screamed at everytime he makes an error? 

9 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Didnt like the way he yelled at Buchanan though. He's a kid ffs can you imagine Keogh being screamed at everytime he makes an error? 

This is a criticism often labelled at Keogh and yet there’s a cliche in football that everybody’s too soft and there aren’t any leaders left. You can’t have it both ways. 

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

This is a criticism often labelled at Keogh and yet there’s a cliche in football that everybody’s too soft and there aren’t any leaders left. You can’t have it both ways. 

I get that he receives a ton of unwarranted criticism, but one in which i think is warranted is that he doesn't lead, round up the troops and light the fire in the team. How many times have we capitulated when he is captain? He waves his arms about looking wildly and downright belittles a teenager. That's not being a leader, that's taking his personal frustrations out on a young lad.

With his Wembley mistake (which anyone could make) do you think the players got on his back and blamed him? No they backed and supported him.

While he gives 100% every game, makes great runs forward and never gets injured, I suggest while other players work on things like passing, crossing and selfishness perhaps he should look at his leadership skills.

2 minutes ago, goldstar said:

I get that he receives a ton of unwarranted criticism, but one in which i think is warranted is that he doesn't lead, round up the troops and light the fire in the team. How msny times have we capitulated when he is captain? He waves his arms about looking wildly and downright belittles a teenager. That's. It being a leader, that's taking his personal frustrations out on a young lad.

With his Wembley mistake (which anyone could make) do you think the players got on his back and blamed him? No they backed and supported him.

While he gives 100% every game, makes great runs forward and never gets injured, I suggest while other players work on things like passing, crossing and selfishness perhaps he should look at his leadership skills.

Buchanan is playing big boy football now. If he makes a mistake he needs telling as that’s how he will learn.

When I was a 16 year-old engineering apprentice in the 70's, if you dropped a clanger (when you had been warned what could go wrong if you didn't do as you were told), you got a right rollocking (and in front of all your peers).

Wasn't very nice at the time, but it didn't do me any psychological harm as far as I can tell?

P.S. Please send any personal replies c/o HMP Broadmoor.

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Buchanan is playing big boy football now. If he makes a mistake he needs telling as that’s how he will learn.

Big boy football doesnt excuse the way he went about it. Just decimate his self confidence while we're at it Richard! He's still making mistakes at 30 odd let alone 18/19! It happens, but I notice he's not as vocal with Lawrence and the other seniors so he's picking on the easy target. 

2 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Big boy football doesnt excuse the way he went about it. Just decimate his self confidence while we're at it Richard! He's still making mistakes at 30 odd let alone 18/19! It happens, but I notice he's not as vocal with Lawrence and the other seniors so he's picking on the easy target. 

We don’t know anything about Buchanan’s confidence. Maybe he reacts better to a ticking off than an arm round the shoulder, we literally don’t know.

Archived