Team Spirit

Coneheadjohn

57 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

As far as i see it captains should berate players who make a mistake or are not focused and should praise them for a good pass or tackle.

Dave Mackay did it all the time and we all know what a lousy leader he was.

I used to wonder who the loud mouth was who never stopped shouting.

Once I realised it was Mr Mackay I paid more attention to what he was yelling.

So did the players!

(Don't suppose Rooney will be that quiet either, come to think of it!)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, goldstar said:

Big boy football doesnt excuse the way he went about it. Just decimate his self confidence while we're at it Richard! He's still making mistakes at 30 odd let alone 18/19! It happens, but I notice he's not as vocal with Lawrence and the other seniors so he's picking on the easy target. 

Noticed after one Huddlestone mistake that Keogh blocked for a corner that Huddlestone went over to Keogh and they just touched hands as acknowledgement of the rescue. Very understated and the only people screaming at Huddlestone were in the crowd. 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Noticed after one Huddlestone mistake that Keogh blocked for a corner that Huddlestone went over to Keogh and they just touched hands as acknowledgement of the rescue. Very understated and the only people screaming at Huddlestone were in the crowd. 

Exactly what I mean. I'm all for being passionate about the game but don't go berserk at the young lad and play it cool with the seniors, just makes him look bad. All of the home games this season Huddlestone has made a hospital pass and did I see Keogh go mental at him? Nope.

There's ways to go about things, and no, I don't mean treat Buchanan etc. with kid gloves, but in a game where we're struggling, he shouldn't just be targeting him.

10 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Fair to say it looked fantastic last year?

I’ve no idea what it’s like this season.

I’m just asking the question as to wether it’s good/bad Or is it an issue?

Our mood is pretty bad,what about the players?

Have we got the right characters?

Remember the run last season culminating in Villa away? Sure people were giving it the usual lack of effort and bad team spirit chat then too.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Remember the run last season culminating in Villa away? Sure people were giving it the usual lack of effort and bad team spirit chat then too.

You’re right.

Like I said I’ve no idea,I’m just asking the question.

I don’t believe for one minute that the players aren’t trying or don’t have the ability.

What was somewhat disturbing was Cocu's concern (rightly so) about the players attitude. It's a bit early in the season for players to be taking their foot off the gas. They should be busting a gut to impress the manager. It needs to be nipped in the bud as this sort of thing often has an unhappy ending (usually for the manager) 

Interesting that this has been brought up. Weirdly enough, when the team walked out yesterday, i thought they looked a little bit lacking in fire. Almost looked like a side before a manager sacking who aren’t playing for the man in the dugout anymore. Just sort of solemnly walked out. Told myself I’m being ridiculous, and that you can’t see players emotions, and it’s like that every game! But maybe there is something in it, cause I tell you if that was Huddlestone and dowell putting in 100% effort then the may as well hang their boots up. So the players obviously aren’t giving it everything. That isn’t acceptable on any level. Team spirit is obviously far from last season. Almost like the players only wanted to play for the big name in Lampard. Absolutely pathetic the arrogance (to use cocus words) they showed in that first half, having showed nothing all season to back it up. Deserved the vitriol they got at half time imo.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

bet none of em got a proper b0llocking under frank, probs not used to it and getting sulky

You've made a good point there. They did seem like a bunch of 'lads' instead of manager and players, which at the time was great, but now seems like they struggle with being managed.

3 minutes ago, goldstar said:

You've made a good point there. They did seem like a bunch of 'lads' instead of manager and players, which at the time was great, but now seems like they struggle with being managed.

Exactly mate, seemed a fun dressing room, although thats a good thing they've now got a completely different manager in who seems like he takes no shizz.

On 01/09/2019 at 12:37, goldstar said:

Its not about whether i like him or not, (im not falling for that excuse to start an argument) that's not marshalling the defence, marshalling the defence is as a whole, instilling grit and determination, a never say die attitude. Did we see any of that yesterday? 

In that debacle on Saturday Richard Keogh is the least, the absolute least of our worries in any way shape or form!

I thought that because of the togetherness FL brought to the club there may be a drop in moral this year .I have  been watching Derby for 61 years so seen all the good times and I enjoyed last year under Frank.

I also felt a bit flat about DCFC when he moved on, it was quite nice having him around , Coco may have better credentials but he is not as high profile in England .

Probably a period of mourning and they move on ,maybe Cocu is the sacrificial lamb between Frank and the next manager after Cocu who knows?

The first 30 minutes against Cardiff is going to be crucial and we’ll know who’s up for it or not.

Warnock will have Cardiff well drilled and they are going to hit us hard.

We’ve got a big part to play in this as well.

We can drive them forward and make the difference.

Better see if we can organise a trip.

On 01/09/2019 at 10:40, ramboy63 said:

At present i think the dressing room is ok between the players,however i do get the feeling that Cocu and his team are no were near bonding with the team in the same way as FL and his staff did

I dont like to see Cocu come out after games and show disrespect for our players and there effort even if there performance was below par that needs keeping behind closed doors and not coming over to fans to thank them especially after yesterdays dire performance everything FL built up as already been lost and its rubbing off on our team

I want the manager to be honest, I don’t wanting him coming out with BS like “we will take the positives from this game”. It was blatantly dire and he was right to say so. His public response may just get through to the players. There is no hiding place now. 

2 hours ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

In that debacle on Saturday Richard Keogh is the least, the absolute least of our worries in any way shape or form!

Never said it was the most, the entire most of our worries in any way shape or form. It just doesn't help.

4 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I thought that because of the togetherness FL brought to the club there may be a drop in moral this year .I have  been watching Derby for 61 years so seen all the good times and I enjoyed last year under Frank.

I also felt a bit flat about DCFC when he moved on, it was quite nice having him around , Coco may have better credentials but he is not as high profile in England .

Probably a period of mourning and they move on ,maybe Cocu is the sacrificial lamb between Frank and the next manager after Cocu who knows?

Totally agree with your first two paragraphs about the morale and the lower profile of Cocu. I feel the same.

I don’t think he is here as a sacrificial lamb though - I think he's here for the long game and we need to adjust to the more cerebral and less charismatic approach (fans and players.)

Archived