v Forest (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

RiddingsRam

4 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

I don't think many people expect us to get promotion this year at least i certainly don't. We had a cup run under Lampard and it didn't kill us, neither did it under McClaren when we could easily have got to an FA cup semi. 

Lost to bolton and rotherham after Man U and Chelsea 

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm annoyed now.

Team out there had enough to make it a match but didn't.

they made 8 changes we made 10 they just played better and sounds like they wanted it more.

Saying it's because we played some young players is making an excuse. There were some experienced pros in that side. Just performed poorly on the night. Huge caveat of I've not seen in, only listened to radio Derby, but we were well beaten, played badly. Might not be that big a deal in the long run, but I feel for all you who have to work with forest fans tomorrow.

The forest team had a lower average age than the Derby side put out so we can’t use that excuse like you say. And spot on with the forest fans job thing, a lot of the people saying it doesn’t matter don’t live in the area. I don’t care if it’s a friendly or a key fixture, forest fans are annoying when we don’t beat them because they take the mick that we can’t beat them at their worst, they’re even more annoying when they beat us.

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Undoubtedly. But it could have been learnt with a team that was more his 'first team' and an addition of U23s. We might even win a game or two, have a cup run...whatever.

Yes I agree probably too many changes but the experience and reaction that Cocu will see or not see will tell him a lot about these young players as clearly some are not ready or will ever be ready it’s just how football is ....Wenger always played young players in cup matches and some went on to become first team squad members some didn’t ...Our manager has been here very little time and had to make judgments very quickly and he’s been dropped in it a bit with it being so late in the summer ...just give him a chance....2 missed penalties away from top 6 ...fine margins...I expect us to be stronger as the season goes on ...Cocu has had a lot to do since arriving and he’s still sorting out his players and systems ...I will judge him more next season as I still think he’s a real coup to have got him here in the first place 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Can’t be added to read through what is inevitably an argument between happy clappers, wrist slashers, and people who sit somewhere in the middle. 

Now it’s time for me to wade in with my tuppence worth. 

Anyone who thinks Cocu was going to select any other team than this wasn’t paying much attention when he got appointed.

one of his prime objectives was to bring through youth. One of his greatest skills and achievements at PSV is the way he brought through youth. The only way you can bring them through is by playing them in matches.

Youth can’t win every game they play. That is a fantasy and a pipe dream. Which is not to say they were set up to loose tonight, but not was the primary objective to necessarily win. The primary objective is to give the young players minutes in a competitive match, against higher level opposition. The fact that it’s forest and gives them that added pressure to deal with is a bonus.

Ultimately, would you rather loose 3-0 to forest in the cup, or in the league?

take this loss today, and when we play them in the league with a team made up of half the same players, now valued at millions each, and return the tonking, the long term benefit will be realised. 

If cocu has played a full strength team, beat forest, drawn a premier league team next round, the opportunity for these lads to have a run out against championship opposition would have been lost, for the sake of short term gratification and bragging rights. 

Maybe im a happy clapper, but I’m willing to trust the guy that has a proven track record of achieving the goal of bringing youth through, for all the benefits that will eventually bring us. 

Well said, Mel said in more than one fans forum in the past whether our fans can accept the time and change needed when playing youth, the answer has become clearer tonight.

4 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

The forest team had a lower average age than the Derby side put out so we can’t use that excuse like you say. 

...which is in itself a meaningless stat without considering who the players making the numbers up actually are.

I can't actually be arsed to analyse it further though.

I have been out all day but unfortunately got back into Radio Derby signal area in time to hear the commentary of our goals being conceded!

I hadn't really got high hopes of tonight but was surprised to hear quite so many changes. I am all for introducing youngsters but into a strong team rather than our second string . I would find it difficult to assess any of their chances from tonight's mishmash of a line up. Last season we kept remarking on the strength in depth of our squad. This year it looks very thin. 

Feel a bit disappointed for the fans who were there tonight (my other half included). 

And while I wasn't too worried about the game beforehand - even forgetting to make my prediction again - I can't help looking back to a similar time last season and the absolute euphoria of a win at Old Trafford. 

I am trying to be patient with the new regime but I have yet to experience anything on or off the pitch to get me excited. For that I am a little concerned. 

I think what we learned tonight is that our second team is worryingly short on quality, actually.

Cocu did play the kids, yes, but those kids are second choice in many positions. It’s not like there was a load of experiences pros who haven’t played in the league also failed to get a game tonight. 

Just keep that in mind the next time you criticise the team selection. Not like we have buckets of talent and experience to call on from the bench.

8 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Can’t be added to read through what is inevitably an argument between happy clappers, wrist slashers, and people who sit somewhere in the middle. 

Now it’s time for me to wade in with my tuppence worth. 

Anyone who thinks Cocu was going to select any other team than this wasn’t paying much attention when he got appointed.

one of his prime objectives was to bring through youth. One of his greatest skills and achievements at PSV is the way he brought through youth. The only way you can bring them through is by playing them in matches.

Youth can’t win every game they play. That is a fantasy and a pipe dream. Which is not to say they were set up to loose tonight, but not was the primary objective to necessarily win. The primary objective is to give the young players minutes in a competitive match, against higher level opposition. The fact that it’s forest and gives them that added pressure to deal with is a bonus.

Ultimately, would you rather loose 3-0 to forest in the cup, or in the league?

take this loss today, and when we play them in the league with a team made up of half the same players, now valued at millions each, and return the tonking, the long term benefit will be realised. 

If cocu has played a full strength team, beat forest, drawn a premier league team next round, the opportunity for these lads to have a run out against championship opposition would have been lost, for the sake of short term gratification and bragging rights. 

Maybe im a happy clapper, but I’m willing to trust the guy that has a proven track record of achieving the goal of bringing youth through, for all the benefits that will eventually bring us. 

I agree with parts of what you say but that was not Forest’s best line up either. Their squad is better than ours and on first glance so may first team 

Archived