Cocu keen on Rooney?

FindernRam

I like the idea of a true legend playing for us, akin the excitement when Charlie George and Dave Mackay came. 

Now, I haven't seen enough of Cocu to read between the lines of what he says, or his body language too well, but I just get the feeling he's a bit underwhelmed by all this, and I wonder how much he is really up for it?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, De Telegraaf go the other way.

The Dutch newspaper, who were very good and ahead of the curve covering Cocu’s move to Derby, report on Wednesday that the manager very much backs the arrival of Rooney and ‘secretly knew for a while’ that the club were set to bring him in.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/netherlands-cocu-secretly-knew-Derby-countys-next-step/

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

It didn't help at the press conference yesterday when one of the journalists said something like: "sorry it's taken so long for us to ask you a question Philip but you have to understand that you're sitting next to a football legend".

Dufus ?‍♂️

That wasn't just "one of the journalists". That was premier bell Rob Dorsett

I still see Rooney as a player who just loves football, gives his all on the pitch and does not carry around massive ego. I can't see how Cocu would be remotely against it. Why are we trying to make some issue here? Both seemed pretty much as they normally do in interviews.

I am sure though Cocu has already worked out how stupid our journalists can be. 

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

That wasn't just "one of the journalists". That was premier bell Rob Dorsett

Was it really? Ha! He gets better and better. Clown.

I would be disappointed if Cocu was starstruck. As great as Rooney was and as good as he may still be he's here to work for Cocu. And Cocu wasn't too bad at football himself. He played with a couple of decent players. 

I'm sure he's happy to please the fans but I'd hope he's asking Rooney to prove he's still got the ability to play at least at this level rather than asking Rooney for his autograph. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Was it really? Ha! He gets better and better. Clown.

I would be disappointed if Cocu was starstruck. As great as Rooney was and as good as he may still be he's here to work for Cocu. And Cocu wasn't too bad at football himself. He played with a couple of decent players. 

I'm sure he's happy to please the fans but I'd hope he's asking Rooney to prove he's still got the ability to play at least at this level rather than asking Rooney for his autograph. 

Cocu reacted to sitting next to Wayne Rooney like you'd expect of a man who was captain of Barcelona: like he was sat next to literally any other player.

And despite multiple journos trying to get him to hype up the deal, he talked about his potential input like he does every signing. 

Perfect professionalism. 

30 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I like the idea of a true legend playing for us, akin the excitement when Charlie George and Dave Mackay came. 

Now, I haven't seen enough of Cocu to read between the lines of what he says, or his body language too well, but I just get the feeling he's a bit underwhelmed by all this, and I wonder how much he is really up for it?

Are you a Sun journalist? ?

31 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I didn't even notice this being the OP of the thread;

It's been said multiple times he's been involved in this deal from the getgo. It hasn't just happened in the background and he has to accept it. It's Cocu who convinced Rooney to come.

I can only see a problem if you go looking for one.

All of Cocu's interviews have been fairly low key, he seems like a very calm and calculating individual.  I'm certain he won't be fazed by the arrival of Rooney and judging Rooney's career from afar can't see anything to suggest that he won't be giving anything less than 100% whilst he's here.

Not wanting to wish my life away but roll on January!

33 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Haven't seen enough to get a feeling, but here is my feeling anyway... 

frustrated homer simpson GIF

Some of the journalists are funny. They like it when footballers are flashing the cash and they can paint them as arrogant pampered divas. 

Yet yesterday they were "Wayne you're a superstar, Wayne you're a legend" 

I bet he's had that since he burst onto the scene at Everton. 

Can you imagine sitting there listening to that at his age with his experience. I bet it makes him cringe a bit. I'm sure he expects respect for what he's done but he's wise enough now to know you get built up and knocked down by the same people. 

One minute we're supposed to love him for being a young lad dragged off the street. We are supposed to see just a normal lad.

Next minute he's labelled a role model and his unprofessional attitude is what let's him and millions of kids that adore him down. 

Then they're up his bum again.

Just talk to him on a sensible level, weirdos

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Are you a Sun journalist? ?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Anyway I'm not looking to start a conspiracy theory at all. I love the prospect of him coming. Maybe Cocu is not the sort to get overly excited and some subtleties of the English language are difficult for him to express. Just trying to get an understanding of the guy - for when the really tricky interviews come in our January slump ?

Anyway all you lot ---chill out, we won away from home and we will beat Swansea, don't take a genuine interested comment as a wind up.

3 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Anyway I'm not looking to start a conspiracy theory at all. I love the prospect of him coming. Maybe Cocu is not the sort to get overly excited and some subtleties of the English language are difficult for him to express. Just trying to get an understanding of the guy - for when the really tricky interviews come in our January slump ?

Anyway all you lot ---chill out, we won away from home and we will beat Swansea, don't take a genuine interested comment as a wind up.

Yes. Definitely an oxymoron.

I think there’s a real risk that many folk want to see this Rooney adventure end in shambolic failure for all concerned. Chief amongst these will be red top journalists because failure sells their papers like nothing else. So any scrap of negativity will be put under a microscope and over-analysed. Dean Saunders has already suggested on TalkSport that the appointment of Rooney will undermine Cocu and drive a divide at Derby. 

So definitely not in any way trying to undermine you @FindernRam. I don’t for a second believe that Cocu has any reservations about WR. WR is still a class footballer; he’s only 33. Cocu’s and WR’s fates are tied: if WR is a success at Derby so will Cocu be and vice versa.

We need to embrace WR when he arrives and also protect him because there will be plenty out there in Leeds, Boro and ...you know the rest, who want him to fall and fail badly. Football can be a spiteful madam. ?

Can't see Cocu not agreeing to this deal with full conviction. Can't imagine Cocu being undermined with Regards footballing matters without walking. Don't think he requires any interjection from anyone and has a strong mentality and mindset on what he wants and how he will do it.

perhaps not his initial idea but will have been presented to him to consider and will have been told due to sponsorship would not effect his future budget within the transfer market.

15 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Can't see Cocu not agreeing to this deal with full conviction. Can't imagine Cocu being undermined with Regards footballing matters without walking. Don't think he requires any interjection from anyone and has a strong mentality and mindset on what he wants and how he will do it.

perhaps not his initial idea but will have been presented to him to consider and will have been told due to sponsorship would not effect his future budget within the transfer market.

MM was very focused on spelling out that Cocu knew all about this before any approach was made. Football is full of managers who have been undermined by owners and chairmen but MM is not one of them. MM is a very astute and clever chap who knows the game and who thinks through positions before acting. I’m certain of all that. 

One of the nice enigmas about Phillip Cocu is that he is hard to read. His eyes are not telegraphic and he is known for his total calmness when things get hairy. That is a great way to be because it means that he retains an air of detachment that I believe is an advantage in leadership and management. It can be mistaken for lukewarm-ness. But it is not that. Owen Bradley summed Cocu up in 3 words “knows his stuff”. 

There’s no way this deal has gone through without cocu giving in the all clear. Sure managers aren’t involved so much in transfers these days, but no clubs gonna sign a player without the manager wanting him- or put it this way, if they did you’d hear about it. Cocu certainly wouldn’t be taking a backseat and letting it slide. The fact he hasn’t kicked up a fuss, and the fact that there’s an article which explicitly says he thinks rooneys signing is a good move, suggests he’s very much on board with it. I’m sure it wasn’t his idea, will have been the work of Rooneys agent by the sounds of it from that sky article, but very few transfers are solely down to a manager these days. I’m sure he’s perfectly happy with it- I mean who wouldn’t be, it’s Wayne Rooney! He could tear this league up still hopefully!

12 hours ago, FindernRam said:

It may well be that Rooney is another Hollywood signing instigated by the chairman. Time will tell. If the Cocu really isn't too keen, it will just be another DCFC managerial stint ending prematurely. 

Archived