Cocu keen on Rooney?

FindernRam

3 minutes ago, europia said:

It may well be that Rooney is another Hollywood signing instigated by the chairman. Time will tell. If the Cocu really isn't too keen, it will just be another DCFC managerial stint ending prematurely. 

It’s a possibility- but I doubt it. I don’t think Mel would be that crass. I happen to know that the Rooney thing was a possibility before PC was appointed, so he was cognisant of it before it happened & that he had the power of veto if he wasn’t ok with it. He’s totally fine with it so let’s not give oxygen to the potential of it being an issue. There’s a dozen EFL chairmen thinking right now “Why oh why didn’t we think of getting Rooney?”. It’s a risk but there’s so many bigger risks being taken right now by Clubs bigger than Derby ...nothing ventured nothing gained. I think if this is handled correctly by us all, it could be the 2nd Dave McKay. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously Cocu wants to be successful here . That's the be all and end all. Personally I think the addition of Cocu is bigger than the signing of Rooney for the long term success of our football club. 

Now if you were My Cocu and you get approached by Mel "do you want Wayne Rooney to play in your team ? All you have to do is to teach him a few bits and bobs from your wealth of knowledge " Your not going to turn that opportunity down. He came to our club to be ambitious and the signing of Rooney is certainly that. Match made in heaven I say ! 

Mel has gone to great lengths to persuade a top European coach to come here, and not only that the bloke seems settled and prepare to stay for the long haul, he is not going to throw it all away by signing players behind his back.

Its more publicity and headlines for Derby, but that brings with it negative headlines, people like Durham and some of the other clowns on talk sport looking for an angle to get people talking but also counter the groundswell of positive news about Rooney coming to Derby. 

We are news. Let’s embrace it.

And as for Cocu....I can see after one match the bloke is a ducking genius!! How the hell have we got him?! Suppose we have to say Mel is a ducking genius also!!

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I happen to know that the Rooney thing was a possibility before PC was appointed, so he was cognisant of it before it happened & that he had the power of veto if he wasn’t ok with it. He’s totally fine with it so let’s not give oxygen to the potential of it being an issue.

If you happen to have inside knowledge that's fair enough.  Just wonder where this sits with the DCFC mantra of reducing the overhead via off loading high earners and promoting from the academy. I appreciate that Morris owns the club and can say one thing and do another. That's his prerogative. However, it's up to individuals (fans) to decide what believe (or not). 

9 minutes ago, europia said:

If you happen to have inside knowledge that's fair enough.  Just wonder where this sits with the DCFC mantra of reducing the overhead via off loading high earners and promoting from the academy. I appreciate that Morris owns the club and can say one thing and do another. That's his prerogative. However, it's up to individuals (fans) to decide what believe (or not). 

True indeed @europia. I do believe we are on the verge of the Academy bearing lots of fruit...but simultaneously they need models to aspire to & Rooney is that model right now. So, we have an academy that MM has built entirely with his own dollar, and an incoming role model in the shape of Rooney for the young guys to be inspired by. Top England scorer, top Man Utd scorer and I believe only 2nd to Shilton  in terms of number of England caps. I’d say MM’s acquisition of Rooney is part of a master plan. Morris is owning the region by making Derby County the Club that everybody else will want to copy. There’s risk and there’s clever risk. 

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

There’s no way this deal has gone through without cocu giving in the all clear. Sure managers aren’t involved so much in transfers these days, but no clubs gonna sign a player without the manager wanting him- or put it this way, if they did you’d hear about it. Cocu certainly wouldn’t be taking a backseat and letting it slide. The fact he hasn’t kicked up a fuss, and the fact that there’s an article which explicitly says he thinks rooneys signing is a good move, suggests he’s very much on board with it. I’m sure it wasn’t his idea, will have been the work of Rooneys agent by the sounds of it from that sky article, but very few transfers are solely down to a manager these days. I’m sure he’s perfectly happy with it- I mean who wouldn’t be, it’s Wayne Rooney! He could tear this league up still hopefully!

I am sure that if Cocu had any doubts about Rooney signing for Derby it wouldn't have happened no matter how much sponsorship was involved.You don't sign an experienced European manager,give him a 4 year contract then sign a player he didn't want within 6 weeks of him signing that contract

9 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I am sure that if Cocu had any doubts about Rooney signing for Derby it wouldn't have happened no matter how much sponsorship was involved.You don't sign an experienced European manager,give him a 4 year contract then sign a player he didn't want within 6 weeks of him signing that contract

Exactly, he’d 100% have power to veto a deal no matter how far in. Cocu is the manager and he won’t be undermined.

I think I agree with the thinking that Wayne Rooney is intended to inspire our youth to make the step up. I believe that’s what frank would have done had he stayed.

wayne playing a bit is a bonus and the pitch to Phillip Cocu is that he’s essentially a freebie- pays for himself so Mel hasn’t spent the transfer kitty.

id love it if they all together wound up the shrieking media by dropping Wayne from the match day squad after a couple of games. 

Can you imagine it? Adrian Durham would be hospitalised with terminal pomposity and Rob Dorsetts bum-licking tongue would fall off......?

Archived