England Cricket summer 2019

AndyinLiverpool

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually irritated that most of this team got to enjoy winning a world cup. They clearly don't give a toss about about competing in the form of the game I'm interested in, so I don't see why I should pretend to be happy for them when they win in the one day form.

I don't think it's anything to do with application, bottle or couldn't-care-less attitude - totally down to lack of technique. For the last 10 years English domestic cricket has gone head-long into promoting the white ball game and can justify that stance by winning this seasons' World Cup but it's been very much at the expense of the county 3-4 day format. The County Championship has never been so devoid of quality - take away the foreign players and what's left is mediocre at best. England-qualifying players in the one-day game are often 'rested' for Championship matches so aren't given the opportunity to develop the batting skills needed for the Test Match arena.

In Australia, they have the Big Bash competition but they also have the Sheffield Shield, played over 4 days between six states on a home and away basis. This is far more competitive than the County Chamionship and at least gives their top players a better opportunity to hone their skills for both formats of this great game.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Flintoff. Flintoff was somehow worse, but root hasn't been good and its destroyed his batting.

I dunno bud. I might have a massive down on Joe Root but he's just an empty r Soundbite to me. Talks a good fight. They sacked Freddy and he promptly single-handedly turned around the Ashes series. Can you see Root doing anything similar. Sorry. Fed up with this batting line-up tbh! Spineless. And to think the boys club tried to keep Jofra from being drafted in! Kick out the likes of Bairstow and bring in some young scrappers like Foakes. Can't get any worse for it. Grrrrrrr! 

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I dunno bud. I might have a massive down on Joe Root but he's just an empty r Soundbite to me. Talks a good fight. They sacked Freddy and he promptly single-handedly turned around the Ashes series. Can you see Root doing anything similar. Sorry. Fed up with this batting line-up tbh! Spineless. And to think the boys club tried to keep Jofra from being drafted in! Kick out the likes of Bairstow and bring in some young scrappers like Foakes. Can't get any worse for it. Grrrrrrr! 

As you said, they sacked Freddie as skipper and he went back to being decent, but his captaincy was appalling.

You're right, I can't see root going into double ton form if he doesn't have to set the field anymore.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

As you said, they sacked Freddie as skipper and he went back to being decent, but his captaincy was appalling.

You're right, I can't see root going into double ton form if he doesn't have to set the field anymore.

He's way out of his depth as a test team skipper and you can see he hates the job. Suspect he's pressured by some of the senior players too as regards his selection input. He'll come back at some point. He's too good a batter not to but he's going to need time. Question is, who else is there? What's Mike Brearley up to these days? ?

Archived