England Cricket summer 2019

AndyinLiverpool

Smith is a real problem for our bowling attack who can't seem to get him out. Sure, he's a top batter and most teams will have this issue but his average in recent tests against England must be well over 100 so I think we are compelled to try something different. 

With Jimmy's fitness in question, do we look at Jofra? His red ball stats are good, he can bowl at a pace that troubles even the best batsmen and he seems adept at mixing up his deliveries and has the full range in his armoury. We saw in the World Cup that he also handles pressure well, and I think he would give Smith something different to think about.

Thoughts?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Smith is a real problem for our bowling attack who can't seem to get him out. Sure, he's a top batter and most teams will have this issue but his average in recent tests against England must be well over 100 so I think we are compelled to try something different. 

With Jimmy's fitness in question, do we look at Jofra? His red ball stats are good, he can bowl at a pace that troubles even the best batsmen and he seems adept at mixing up his deliveries and has the full range in his armoury. We saw in the World Cup that he also handles pressure well, and I think he would give Smith something different to think about.

Thoughts?

I'd have had him in the side this test. Easy Hindsight decision I guess, but definitely in the next test.

Great to see Steve Smith doing well from a cricketing purist point of view. He’s learnt his lesson and seems to mean it, now it’s time for everyone to move on. It’s good to see that great batsmen are still around as there was one point after the previous generation of batsmen retired where the quality of batting had really declined. Steve Smith, Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Shakib Al hasan are the top 5 batsmen for me. 

19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Great to see Steve Smith doing well from a cricketing purist point of view. He’s learnt his lesson and seems to mean it, now it’s time for everyone to move on. It’s good to see that great batsmen are still around as there was one point after the previous generation of batsmen retired where the quality of batting had really declined. Steve Smith, Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Shakib Al hasan are the top 5 batsmen for me. 

Yeah, watching him score 300 runs against us in the first test of an Ashes series has absolutely delighted the purist in me. 

Read this morning Chris wokes had said "we will hatch a plan to get Steve Smith out" which it turned out was "let him make a huge score then hope he eventually stuffs one up"

Was disappointed with the bowling today and the lack of pressure, in a way I felt sorry for stokes and broard bowling at those fields.

Iching powder in lyon's undies please mr Australian team Hotel staff.

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Surely a purist wouldn’t want a cheat like him anywhere near the game ever again?

I didn’t hear anyone complaining about stokes after his performance in the World Cup final and saying he shouldn’t have been selected or been in jail. And no-one mentions Mike Atherton’s ball tampering anymore, people have forgiven him ?‍♂️.  Smith’s done his time, I thought the length of the ban imposed was too harsh. People have done some things far worse in cricket than smith and no-one mentions them. Nasser Hussain has it bang on, we need to move on and admire what a brilliant player smith is. 

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, watching him score 300 runs against us in the first test of an Ashes series has absolutely delighted the purist in me. 

Not saying anyone should be glad he’s scoring all these runs, but he should be admired for the brilliant player he is, you have to hold your hands up and say he’s a fantastic player. I do feel sorry for him though, he came across really emotional in his interview and all the criticism obviously hurt him, he’s not like a David Warner who thrives off people hating on him. It’s also not Smith’s fault England haven’t found an effective solution yet. People complaining about smith and saying he should be banned completely comes across as saltynsss. 

13 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Herwe we go ?‍♀️ I'm outta here.

I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable posting here, please do carry on posting, I like talking to people about different sports. People will have different opinions on a forum, I certainly won’t take offence if you have a different view. I like engaging in discussions with people with opposing views on a issue.

I think we can both agree that Smith makes Australia far more competitive. Without him, Australia are a lot weaker. I actually don’t like ashes series to be a whitewash either way, which I think it would be if smith didn’t play. I like them to be tight and competitive to the very end because it makes for intriguing viewing. 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I like engaging in discussions with people with opposing views on a issue.

I think we can both agree that Smith makes Australia far more competitive. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

?‍♀️

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

?‍♀️

I think the commentators mentioned that Smith tends to struggle against left arm spin, could be worth looking into for the next test for the England selectors. But then there is the issue of bringing in a player just to deal with one Australian player.

This the the closest statistic I’ve found 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well survived at the end from the openers but no pressure from us on the aussie batters.

I found England’s treatment of Smith both bizarre and annoying. To spread the field like that in order to get him off strike was tantamount to telling him we’re not going to try to get him out. In the first innings of an ashes series with the lots down for not many runs. We already look intimidated. 

4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Thoughts?

Jofra isnt fit?

• 2 weeks later...

We're barely 40 overs into the first innings of the match and it's "can England hang around with the bat long enough to get a draw if there is some more rain" mode.

Its pretty clear the whole focus on thd ODI side has been at the expense of thd test side. It was going to be a hard series against Australia regardless but its looking like a poor effort from. England.

another one bites the dust.... 4 down...

Archived