Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AndyinLiverpool

England Cricket summer 2019

Recommended Posts

Smith is a real problem for our bowling attack who can't seem to get him out. Sure, he's a top batter and most teams will have this issue but his average in recent tests against England must be well over 100 so I think we are compelled to try something different. 

With Jimmy's fitness in question, do we look at Jofra? His red ball stats are good, he can bowl at a pace that troubles even the best batsmen and he seems adept at mixing up his deliveries and has the full range in his armoury. We saw in the World Cup that he also handles pressure well, and I think he would give Smith something different to think about.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Smith is a real problem for our bowling attack who can't seem to get him out. Sure, he's a top batter and most teams will have this issue but his average in recent tests against England must be well over 100 so I think we are compelled to try something different. 

With Jimmy's fitness in question, do we look at Jofra? His red ball stats are good, he can bowl at a pace that troubles even the best batsmen and he seems adept at mixing up his deliveries and has the full range in his armoury. We saw in the World Cup that he also handles pressure well, and I think he would give Smith something different to think about.

Thoughts?

I'd have had him in the side this test. Easy Hindsight decision I guess, but definitely in the next test.

Share this post


Link to post

Great to see Steve Smith doing well from a cricketing purist point of view. He’s learnt his lesson and seems to mean it, now it’s time for everyone to move on. It’s good to see that great batsmen are still around as there was one point after the previous generation of batsmen retired where the quality of batting had really declined. Steve Smith, Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Shakib Al hasan are the top 5 batsmen for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Great to see Steve Smith doing well from a cricketing purist point of view. He’s learnt his lesson and seems to mean it, now it’s time for everyone to move on. It’s good to see that great batsmen are still around as there was one point after the previous generation of batsmen retired where the quality of batting had really declined. Steve Smith, Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Shakib Al hasan are the top 5 batsmen for me. 

Yeah, watching him score 300 runs against us in the first test of an Ashes series has absolutely delighted the purist in me. 

Share this post


Link to post

Read this morning Chris wokes had said "we will hatch a plan to get Steve Smith out" which it turned out was "let him make a huge score then hope he eventually stuffs one up"

Was disappointed with the bowling today and the lack of pressure, in a way I felt sorry for stokes and broard bowling at those fields.

Iching powder in lyon's undies please mr Australian team Hotel staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Surely a purist wouldn’t want a cheat like him anywhere near the game ever again?

I didn’t hear anyone complaining about stokes after his performance in the World Cup final and saying he shouldn’t have been selected or been in jail. And no-one mentions Mike Atherton’s ball tampering anymore, people have forgiven him 🤷‍♂️.  Smith’s done his time, I thought the length of the ban imposed was too harsh. People have done some things far worse in cricket than smith and no-one mentions them. Nasser Hussain has it bang on, we need to move on and admire what a brilliant player smith is. 

 

11 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Yeah, watching him score 300 runs against us in the first test of an Ashes series has absolutely delighted the purist in me. 

Not saying anyone should be glad he’s scoring all these runs, but he should be admired for the brilliant player he is, you have to hold your hands up and say he’s a fantastic player. I do feel sorry for him though, he came across really emotional in his interview and all the criticism obviously hurt him, he’s not like a David Warner who thrives off people hating on him. It’s also not Smith’s fault England haven’t found an effective solution yet. People complaining about smith and saying he should be banned completely comes across as saltynsss. 

Edited by McLovin

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Herwe we go 🤷‍♀️ I'm outta here.

I don’t want to make you feel uncomfortable posting here, please do carry on posting, I like talking to people about different sports. People will have different opinions on a forum, I certainly won’t take offence if you have a different view. I like engaging in discussions with people with opposing views on a issue.

I think we can both agree that Smith makes Australia far more competitive. Without him, Australia are a lot weaker. I actually don’t like ashes series to be a whitewash either way, which I think it would be if smith didn’t play. I like them to be tight and competitive to the very end because it makes for intriguing viewing. 

Edited by McLovin

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I like engaging in discussions with people with opposing views on a issue.

I think we can both agree that Smith makes Australia far more competitive. 

 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Smith is a real problem for our bowling attack who can't seem to get him out. Sure, he's a top batter and most teams will have this issue but his average in recent tests against England must be well over 100 so I think we are compelled to try something different. 

🤷‍♀️

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

 

🤷‍♀️

I think the commentators mentioned that Smith tends to struggle against left arm spin, could be worth looking into for the next test for the England selectors. But then there is the issue of bringing in a player just to deal with one Australian player.

This the the closest statistic I’ve found 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well survived at the end from the openers but no pressure from us on the aussie batters.

I found England’s treatment of Smith both bizarre and annoying. To spread the field like that in order to get him off strike was tantamount to telling him we’re not going to try to get him out. In the first innings of an ashes series with the lots down for not many runs. We already look intimidated. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Smith is a real problem for our bowling attack who can't seem to get him out. Sure, he's a top batter and most teams will have this issue but his average in recent tests against England must be well over 100 so I think we are compelled to try something different. 

With Jimmy's fitness in question, do we look at Jofra? His red ball stats are good, he can bowl at a pace that troubles even the best batsmen and he seems adept at mixing up his deliveries and has the full range in his armoury. We saw in the World Cup that he also handles pressure well, and I think he would give Smith something different to think about.

Thoughts?

Jofra isnt fit?

Share this post


Link to post

A fairly predictable collapse. 

I think a few changes are needed for the next test, some players are completely out of form.

The umpiring in this test match was atrocious!
 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.