England Cricket summer 2019

AndyinLiverpool

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Young Ilkley and I were at Lords today. Fantastic first day of a test match summed up as a good toss to lose.  The pitch definitely got easier as the day and heavy roller went on and although the batting was woeful at times I thought England did well to bowl them out. Olly Stone bowled a wonderful spell in the afternoon - very quick and very aggressive - can't wait to see him and Archer in tandem in a couple of years. Broad though was the pick overall. Very unlucky not to have more wickets.

Day 2 could be fun. Might be all over by close of play but I think not

... and so onto The Ashes where the squad is set to be announced tomorrow, it will be interesting to see whether England make any changes particularly to the top 3 - Rory Burns looks completely out of nick so id expect to see him replaced - do they go with a young opener such as Dom Sibley or Zak Crawley or do they take another look at James Vince? Personally I'd like to see Vince given another go, there's certainly a test player in there if he can just apply himself properly.

The other question to resolve is who do they leave out between Woakes & Archer come match day? Personally I'd play an all seam attack and leave out the barely used spin of Moeen/Leach in the knowledge that both Root & Denly are reasonable enough if the pitch begins to turn. I know it's harsh on MOTM Leach but "it is what it is" as a wise Scotsman would say.

My realistic line up:

Vince, Roy, Denly, Root, Buttler, Stokes  Bairstow, Woakes, Archer, Broad, Anderson.

I'd actually prefer to see Root bat 3 and Foakes given the wicket keeping duties but that's not likely to happen.

6 minutes ago, Carnero said:

... and so onto The Ashes where the squad is set to be announced tomorrow, it will be interesting to see whether England make any changes particularly to the top 3 - Rory Burns looks completely out of nick so id expect to see him replaced - do they go with a young opener such as Dom Sibley or Zak Crawley or do they take another look at James Vince? Personally I'd like to see Vince given another go, there's certainly a test player in there if he can just apply himself properly.

The other question to resolve is who do they leave out between Woakes & Archer come match day? Personally I'd play an all seam attack and leave out the barely used spin of Moeen/Leach in the knowledge that both Root & Denly are reasonable enough if the pitch begins to turn. I know it's harsh on MOTM Leach but "it is what it is" as a wise Scotsman would say.

My realistic line up:

Vince, Roy, Denly, Root, Buttler, Stokes  Bairstow, Woakes, Archer, Broad, Anderson.

I'd actually prefer to see Root bat 3 and Foakes given the wicket keeping duties but that's not likely to happen.

I just don't see it with Vince. People tell me he looks a good player but that 'good' player keeps getting out early and in ways that a test player should at least learn from.

For the first test, I think Archer will only play if Anderson is unfit and I think Moeen will play, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I just don't see it with Vince

You've never watched him getting a pretty 30 (before nicking off) looking for all the world like a clone of Michael Vaughan at his peak?

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

What do you make of Denly? @AndyinLiverpool another one who looks a player until he gets out!

I think we have too many of these batters - get a start and get out. Add Stoneman, Jennings, Malan, Ballance to the list.

It's also a disappointment to me that Root won't take responsibility and bat at 3.

Oh for the days of Strauss, Cook and Trott and 1,2,3.

4 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Oh for the days of Strauss, Cook and Trott and 1,2,3.

Absolutely... followed by Pietersen, Bell, Collingwood & Prior... we didn't realise how lucky we were! And a bowling attack of Broad, Anderson, +1 & Swann!!!

Ashes Day is upon us lads and ladies.

Predictions for the series?

Two teams who can't bat for peanuts and are filled with top-class bowlers in a muggy English summer. Is anyone going to score over 450 in any inning?

Archived