England Cricket summer 2019

AndyinLiverpool

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 04/09/2019 at 13:16, Mr Tibbs said:

Aye, thought we went a bit defensive there with Overton and Leach. 

Hopefully Archer comes back on and bowls a bit faster than earlier. 

I think he's broken - or at least shop-soiled.

I don’t understand cricket, but I’m getting quite invested in this. But I don’t fully understand it.

What’s a follow on, and why is everyone excited that we avoided it?

Isn’t it basically game over with Australia scoring so much in the first innings? Do we have anything left to play for?

22 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I don’t understand cricket, but I’m getting quite invested in this. But I don’t fully understand it.

What’s a follow on, and why is everyone excited that we avoided it?

Isn’t it basically game over with Australia scoring so much in the first innings? Do we have anything left to play for?

In a 5-day match, if the team batting second fails to get withing 200 runs of the side batting first, they can be forced by the opposing captain to bat again, thus making it less likely in this situation that Australia would have to bat again.

By avoiding it, precious time will be used up as Australia bat.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

In a 5-day match, if the team batting second fails to get withing 200 runs of the side batting first, they can be forced by the opposing captain to bat again, thus making it less likely in this situation that Australia would have to bat again.

By avoiding it, precious time will be used up as Australia bat.

But why is time precious?

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Because the match ends tomorrow evening

Ah, so I’m starting to realise that time is precious cos we could play for a draw. All we have to do is not get out. We could score 1 run tomorrow, and still draw. 

At first my flawed maths thought that would mean Australia automatically retain. But that would make it 1-1 with 1 to play. I think i’m starting to get this now. 

So we’re not necessarily hoping for stokes to pull another miracle out of the bag tomorrow, just that we don’t get out.

Archived