England Cricket summer 2019

AndyinLiverpool

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another collapse?!?

The way England are playing, you would think they have just been to Asda and picked up the latest Ashes Cricket game on the PlayStation, and no-one knows the buttons.

Where is the composure? Where is the application? Where is the fighting spirit? Where is the backbone?

So disappointing, because you can’t beat a well contested Ashes series.

I guess the beauty of Test cricket is that you can’t really judge what’s a good score until both teams have batted. If Broad and Archer get some joy, it could be interesting.

But at 258 all out, it looks ominous for us. We have the talent, but we don’t have the staying power.

With Smith looking imperious, you wouldn’t put it past Australia to dig in and bat through days 3-4 to build a lead and have another crack at England on day 5.

Someone has to step up and take charge in the same way Smith did at Edgbaston for Australia.

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Seen a few Aussie fans in their green and gold regalia just now in London heading back to Waterloo so I guess that's it for the day?

Knocked off at lunchtime on a Friday. Glad to see Lords respecting tradition there, although forgetting they start at 11, aren't on a half day and already skived on Wednesday because "it's too wet"

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Knocked off at lunchtime on a Friday. Glad to see Lords respecting tradition there, although forgetting they start at 11, aren't on a half day and already skived on Wednesday because "it's too wet"

Remember when me and a mate decided to treat ourselves to a hospitality package through Lastminute.com back on the 2001 ashes at the Oval. Cost us over £130 quid each (nont inc wine and travel)

Got 35 minutes play, 5 more than the threshold for an abandonment and refund, then it p*****d down from 11.35. So the fall back was to start the hospitality early and run the meals together. By 3pm we'd had lunch, tea and a farewell sandwich and were completely torched and skint from the massively overpriced wine.......?

Rebuilding yet again. Have to admit looking like I was mighty wrong re Jason Roy. Though he’d convert to Test match cricket fine and he may still do , I’m a massive fan of his but he’s got his work cut out to sort things out 

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

And Denly goes.

Looks like England are going to do their best t not make this match a draw despite losing a day and a half to the rain.

Ever since Root spread the field in the first test when he had Australia 8 down for 120-odd, abject capitulation has been the likely outcome of each test. 

What scenario exists whereby England save this match? The weather? bloody hell.

The selectors must take most of the blame - they've chosen a test match squad based on limited overs performances and the approach to the two formats is totally different. 

Also, Roots' captaincy at times has been poor and the pressure which comes with the role appears to be affecting his batting. It doesn't look as though the weather forecast is too bad for the next couple of days so a result is likely - I fear England are going to go 2 down and will not come back  - hope I'm wrong.

Smith out for the remainder of this test and a doubt for the next one.  It may not be the ideal way for England to have dealt with him but still very good news. Echoes of McGrath in 2005 - huge puscogicical blow for the Aussies and a boost for England. 

Archived