One year of Frank

ThePrisoner

4 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Might be fun for posters to dig out their posts from around the time of his appointment to find out who said what. Here’s mine...

“Frank Lampard would be a diasaster. Why do clubs of Derby’s size who claim to be ambitious so often try to appoint people with NO managerial experience based on reputations in other fields of the game? Phil Brown and Paul Clement were wonders, weren’t they? It NEEDS to be someone experienced at this level and who knows how to maximize players potential.”

What can I say? When you’re right 1% of the time, you’re wrong 99% of the time.

Haha, my reaction wasn't much different. Probably best if folk just ignore my opinions going forward ??

'Am staggered this idea is actually gaining some traction.

There a number of challenges with this squad & football club which a number of managers have been unable to solve including an ex-England manager, a man who laid the foundations of a Premiership winning team & an ex-Real Madrid number 2. I have no idea why the next logical step is to give the job to someone with no prior managerial experience on the basis of 'well, everyone has failed...why not. At least he's exciting'. Where's the plan with that? Just wing it?

Lampard's high IQ is also totally irrelevant to the position. Football management involves a whole range of skills - communication & motivation being two of the key attributes that have nothing to do with a MENSA test. 

We need a manager to work to a budget, adopt an attractive style of play & placate a demanding fanbase & chairman. A novice manager will inevitably want to try things & make many mistakes before they settle on a style that suits them - totally understandable but the place to do that is not at Derby County.'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Where have you got £3m from?

It was an undisclosed fee, and from what I can see of re-reading all the news articles from the time, no journalists even put a "believed to be" figure beside the deal. 

Couple of random (make poo up) accounts on twitter said 2.7/3 but thats just what his value was listed at on transfermarkt.com - I don't think it's actually what we paid.

Based on our financial situation last summer I'd be massively surprised if the true figure even reached £2m.

The purchases (inclusive of fees and levies) of Malone, Evans, Holmes, Josefzoon, Marriott and Waghorn came to £18.5m

Thin the figures flying around have been Waghorn £5m, Marriott £3m, Josefzoon  £3m, Evans £1m, Holmes £750k. 

Based on this I think £3m for Malone is a sound assumption.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The purchases (inclusive of fees and levies) of Malone, Evans, Holmes, Josefzoon, Marriott and Waghorn came to £18.5m

Thin the figures flying around have been Waghorn £5m, Marriott £3m, Josefzoon  £3m, Evans £1m, Holmes £750k. 

Based on this I think £3m for Malone is a sound assumption.

Fair enough.
Although, Waghorn was an initial £5m, and Marriott was an initial £3m - is that £18.5m just the total of all the initial fees? That seems really high, based on how our player in/player out business was being talked about by Mel and Frank.

Do you have a link to this summers financial activity, where the 18.5m figure is?

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Fair enough.
Although, Waghorn was an initial £5m, and Marriott was an initial £3m - is that £18.5m just the total of all the initial fees? That seems really high, based on how our player in/player out business was being talked about by Mel and Frank.

Do you have a link to this summers financial activity, where the 18.5m figure is?

Taken straight from the accounts:-

Post balance sheet events

...and has made purchases, inclusive of EFL levies and agents' commissions of £18,540,728...

So this relates to players purchased between the balance sheet date of 30 June 2018 and the date the accounts were signed off on 29 March 2019. So I guess EFL levies and agents fees for Cole and Ambrose could also be included.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Taken straight from the accounts:-

Post balance sheet events

...and has made purchases, inclusive of EFL levies and agents' commissions of £18,540,728...

So this relates to players purchased between the balance sheet date of 30 June 2018 and the date the accounts were signed off on 29 March 2019. So I guess EFL levies and agents fees for Cole and Ambrose could also be included.

Ok - well continuing the investigation into how much we actually spent for Malone would therefore require me to get more informed in what sort of figures agent commissions are, and I'm not sure I want that information. Don't want to hate the world all weekend.

I'll just accept that its possible we paid £3m for Malone, even though I'm not convinced, I think it's more likely Waghorn+Marriott is closer to £10m and Malone is closer to £2m. 

Although, I don't actually think £3m is as bad a deal as was suggested earlier but that's a different discussion.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The highs have been very high - Leeds, West Brom, Bristol, Norwich, Man Utd, Southampton, QPR 

The lows have been very low - Leeds twice, Villa twice, Rotherham, Bolton, Ipswich, Blackburn

Performances very hit and miss and I'd say probably 50/50 between good and bad.

Permanent signings also very hit and miss. Marriott, Waghorn and Holmes decent. Josefzoon and Evans have a lot to prove if they stay. Cole was obviously a stop gap.

Loan signings were a massive plus. Mount a start from day one, though he had a slump in form mid season. Tomori started poorly but improved beyond belief throughout the season. Wilson scored some worldies and goals at important times, however I feel his overall contribution was lacking.

The promotion of youth has been brilliant. Bogle an absolute gem. The first manager to get a significant contribution from Bennett. Definitely excited to see who he brings through next season.

Style of play was good at times but I don't feel we really established what our style of play. Also think we never established an actual starting eleven due to injuries but also too much chopping and changing at times.

Team spirit and connection with the fans definitely seems to have been re-established, think it's amazing how far something like this can take you.

A satisfactory first season I think. We maintained our league position and put a few pennies in the bank from our cup runs and play offs.

Interesting summer ahead to see if outgoing players will be replaced or if he's going to put faith in youth.

How can losing by one goal to be in the Prem be only a satisfactory season when one of their goals went in off a players back and the other was an own goal. Nearly a wonder season.

I think it's been a fantastic season. Certainly one that will be fondly remembered for years to come with some good cup runs, some great goals and great performances such as the second leg of the playoff semi-final and Man U away.

It's been great so see some of the products of our academy given a real chance in the first team and there now seems to be a proper link between the senior team and the academy whereas before this season that link felt limited at best.

On another day the playoff final may have gone in our favour so I think this season as a whole was right up there with what we could have realistically hoped for especially considering the transition needed to adopt the different style of play. 

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

How can losing by one goal to be in the Prem be only a satisfactory season when one of their goals went in off a players back and the other was an own goal. Nearly a wonder season.

Because I never really bought into the 'transition' season.

We had a team that finished 6th, lost 2 players and invested  £18m in new players and brought in 3 bright young Premier League prospects.

I don't think we really made any inroads into reducing the squad size or the wage bill.

Also don't think we've established a style of play or a set of players for the season ahead.

If we do the above next season  then I think it will have been a great achievement.

Just my personal opinion and I'm certainly not complaining, I'm happy with the way things have gone.

Ok - well continuing the investigation into how much we actually spent for Malone would therefore require me to get more informed in what sort of figures agent commissions are, and I'm not sure I want that information. Don't want to hate the world all weekend.

I'll just accept that its possible we paid £3m for Malone, even though I'm not convinced, I think it's more likely Waghorn+Marriott is closer to £10m and Malone is closer to £2m. 

Although, I don't actually think £3m is as bad a deal as was suggested earlier but that's a different discussion.

Fees and levies as percentage of total costs:-

2014 35%

2015 45%

2016 11%

2017 15%

2018 20%

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Fees and levies as percentage of total costs:-

2014 35%

2015 45%

2016 11%

2017 15%

2018 20%

I sent my response to this via DM to make sure I've understood as to not derail this thread more than it has been. Once I know I'm following I'll just randomly throw Malone's fee into a later discussion without any context.

I was really against Lampard's appointment for three potential reasons:

1, Total lack of experience, which could easily result in failure and a relegation battle.

2, Lack of knowledge of the Championship, which could have resulted in poor recruitment, saddling the club with expensive non-performers.

3, Makes a brilliant start and then disappears as soon as the first PL club comes calling.

As it's happened, my concerns have proved groundless. Making the play offs in his first season has to go down as a very fine start to his managerial career. 

My next concern is whether he has the ability to build a team almost from scratch with limited resources. He's certainly earned the right to try. Hopefully he'll pass this test as well.

I banged on and on to anybody and everybody on here about what a great move it would be for Derby to get him in ,wanted it to happen from the minute it was rumoured there was a chance and I’ve really enjoyed the season , I don’t remember a season ever feeling like it has flown by so quickly 

The guy is intelligent, driven and competitive. He's brought in some quality players from top Prem sides we would have never got otherwise. He's embedding youth into our squad and in line with what Mel Morris has wanted for a while. Seeing our youth team winning their league is showing the hard work behind the scenes is working, but promoting and playing players on merit like Bogle, Bennett (to an extent), Bird, Mitchell-Lawson etc. Is such a positive move for the rest of the youth squad. 

He's created a brilliant bond between the players/management and us the fans that has been broken for a while. Even earlier in the season it was still a little fragile and some of the fans were easy to fall into their old ways but overall we are in such a good place. 

Reading away, Man Ure and Chelsea away, West Brom away, Sheff Utd at home, Norwich away, Southampton x2 in the cup and then every game Brentofrd away onwards all were exciting in their own right (minus Blackburn). 

I can't remember the last Derby team to be behind late on in games and I genuinely believe we will still get something out of games. The players attitude has been spot on and Frank and Jody need a lot of credit for this. 

I really don't think we are in a bad position. The fans are connected to the club again. Yes we lost but you only have to look at the likes of Norwich, Sheff Utd, Villa of recent time that time has shown success is built over time. We have never had more than a season of continuity. Hopefully we get that now. 

Would be absolutely gutted if he went. Would understand if Chelsea came crawling but think he can get that job anytime he wants... He could build something here! 

I sent my response to this via DM to make sure I've understood as to not derail this thread more than it has been. Once I know I'm following I'll just randomly throw Malone's fee into a later discussion without any context.

Don't forget to add on the 10% Hudds agent will get for his years extension!

Can't knock what he's achieved this season. Did remarkably well to get us to the play-off final.

Next season I'd like to see a more clear style of play, and less of a reliance on individual ability. We got through at times on the backs of our loan players.

Going to be a much bigger challenge to get us promoted this season, you'd think. With all the players we've got heading out the door, this is the real transition season.

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

This may help...

Derby paid out the 4th most to agents in the past year (Feb '18 to Jan '19). £2.2m from the previous year increased to £4.3m

4. Derby COUNTY £4,293,410

The Derby players involved were: Keogh, MacDonald, Rashid, Walker, Hanson, Eyoma, Davies, Mount, Wilson, Jozefzoon, Marriott, Evans, Thomas, Tomori, Waghorn, Malone, Holmes, Lowe, Jerome, Bogle, Cole, Ravas, Whittaker

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/policies/intermediaries/intermediaries-transactions

Seems like most of the players have really enjoyed the season. Which is great to hear. That’s because of Frank and us fans. Keep up the great support and players will love playing for our team. All loanees would come back but it depends on their parent clubs. Can’t blame them for wanting to play at a level higher. Let’s keep being this supportive club no matter what the results are. 

Archived