One year of Frank

ThePrisoner

Exactly a year ago today, Frank Lampard was announced as manager for our wonderful club. 

What are everyone’s favourite moments, where has he made mistakes and what can he do going into the next season to improve his managerial career?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be fun for posters to dig out their posts from around the time of his appointment to find out who said what. Here’s mine...

“Frank Lampard would be a diasaster. Why do clubs of Derby’s size who claim to be ambitious so often try to appoint people with NO managerial experience based on reputations in other fields of the game? Phil Brown and Paul Clement were wonders, weren’t they? It NEEDS to be someone experienced at this level and who knows how to maximize players potential.”

What can I say? When you’re right 1% of the time, you’re wrong 99% of the time.

The highs have been very high - Leeds, West Brom, Bristol, Norwich, Man Utd, Southampton, QPR 

The lows have been very low - Leeds twice, Villa twice, Rotherham, Bolton, Ipswich, Blackburn

Performances very hit and miss and I'd say probably 50/50 between good and bad.

Permanent signings also very hit and miss. Marriott, Waghorn and Holmes decent. Josefzoon and Evans have a lot to prove if they stay. Cole was obviously a stop gap.

Loan signings were a massive plus. Mount a start from day one, though he had a slump in form mid season. Tomori started poorly but improved beyond belief throughout the season. Wilson scored some worldies and goals at important times, however I feel his overall contribution was lacking.

The promotion of youth has been brilliant. Bogle an absolute gem. The first manager to get a significant contribution from Bennett. Definitely excited to see who he brings through next season.

Style of play was good at times but I don't feel we really established what our style of play. Also think we never established an actual starting eleven due to injuries but also too much chopping and changing at times.

Team spirit and connection with the fans definitely seems to have been re-established, think it's amazing how far something like this can take you.

A satisfactory first season I think. We maintained our league position and put a few pennies in the bank from our cup runs and play offs.

Interesting summer ahead to see if outgoing players will be replaced or if he's going to put faith in youth.

Still saddens me to think we’ll never see Mount dancing through the midfield ploughing forward with the ball at his feet.

Frank has done very well, his faith in Bogle was rewarded and will probably fund this seasons recruitment.

I said at the time: 

"I'm delighted with this appointment. It's a roll of the dice and the unknown is exciting. Here's hoping first game of the season is Against Stoke at home and our youth packed team batter them "

We didn't do very well against Stoke ? but he brought plenty of youth to the team so not the worst vision for the future!

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I said:

"We'll have some ups and some downs. Lots of the old guys out and youth brought in with some top talent in on loan from a couple of the top clubs. Probably reach the playoff final and lose." ?

What do you think the lottery numbers will be this weekend? Asking for a mate.

At the time I said: 

"I reckon it'll be exciting, we'll lose to Leeds twice after being caught up in a scandal between the clubs, only to destroy them in the play off semi send leg (preferably away), before going to Wembley and not quite doing ourselves justice, losing say to a team like Villa, something like 2-1, in front of a crowd made up of singers, non-singers (who will annoy the singers) and daytrippers (who will annoy everyone except the people they don't annoy)."

Obviously it was just a punt, I didn't know how the season was going to pan out.

You've got be happy with what we've done this season, plus I feel like the club as a whole is moving forward and due to a bit of Mel Morris economics we can continue to boil more piss with a productive summer transfer window. 

Lampard has shown a lot of promise this season as a manager, but still has plenty to prove in the grand scheme of things. He will be a lot better with a year under his belt. I don't think I've been as optimistic for a season as I am now since the last time we lost the PO final. I hope injuries go slightly easier on us this time around.  

Years gone quick that’s for sure! Favourite moment has to be leeds away in the playoffs, unreal scenes to go and put 4 past them In their own back yard after all their cockiness, Man United in the cup as well for a giant killing was a great night, as were both performances against West Brom, showcased what we could do. Problem with the season was we didn’t do it enough, no ruthlessness or consistency really. Think frank showed tactical naivety a lot across the season as we’d expected, learned a bit across the season which is good but there were still a few issues he didn’t sort out- our constant conceding of the first goal in games, conceding often at the start of either half, and our inability to defend balls into the box. It does worry me a bit how these problems were apparent so early on but we couldn’t resolve them.

Think to improve next year frank first of all needs to sort the midfield this summer which should really have been done last year, so we actually have one to play through and don’t end up hoofing as we did too often this year. Some of the players mentality could do with working on too, often this year we seemed to waltz into games like Bolton and Millwall thinking it was gonna be easy and then conceded the first goal half asleep and be unable to recover. Defensive coach may also help sort out some of the issues with crosses, maybe Cole could stay on?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The highs have been very high - Leeds, West Brom, Bristol, Norwich, Man Utd, Southampton, QPR 

The lows have been very low - Leeds twice, Villa twice, Rotherham, Bolton, Ipswich, Blackburn

Performances very hit and miss and I'd say probably 50/50 between good and bad.

Permanent signings also very hit and miss. Marriott, Waghorn and Holmes decent. Josefzoon and Evans have a lot to prove if they stay. Cole was obviously a stop gap.

Loan signings were a massive plus. Mount a start from day one, though he had a slump in form mid season. Tomori started poorly but improved beyond belief throughout the season. Wilson scored some worldies and goals at important times, however I feel his overall contribution was lacking.

The promotion of youth has been brilliant. Bogle an absolute gem. The first manager to get a significant contribution from Bennett. Definitely excited to see who he brings through next season.

Style of play was good at times but I don't feel we really established what our style of play. Also think we never established an actual starting eleven due to injuries but also too much chopping and changing at times.

Team spirit and connection with the fans definitely seems to have been re-established, think it's amazing how far something like this can take you.

A satisfactory first season I think. We maintained our league position and put a few pennies in the bank from our cup runs and play offs.

Interesting summer ahead to see if outgoing players will be replaced or if he's going to put faith in youth.

I agree with much of your analysis but not so sure about this. I think Lampard’s strength has been his signings. The one undeniable “miss” has been Jozefzoon. He’s an out-and-out, hug the touch line winger and I don’t think he suits the formations Lampard likes to play. Not sure about Evans being a miss either, he was very cheap and in the most important game he played he stepped up to the job. Losing Tomori at Bristol could have been a disaster otherwise.

Even the best managers have missed and I think his strike rate in the market is far above average. Every other player he’s signed has improved the starting XI or improved the squad. 

The downside is we relied too heavily on some of those players and now we have to hand them back. Also think we have a top-heavy squad now, as all the investment is tied up in forwards.

After Rowett ball, what a great season of entertainment this was! Sure, it was filled with highs and lows but ultimately a play off final at Wembley was something most on here would have only dreamed of at the start of the season. Let’s remember that it was initially billed as a season of transformation and clearing the decks, I for one thought top half of the table but outside the play off spots was probably what we were likely to achieve.

Frank, you’ve delivered great memories and hopefully far more to come, let’s hope you wield your magic in the loan / transfer market again and that next season we challenge for top 2.

In the background we mustn’t forget that we have a squad of talented youngsters who won the U18 title — This is the most optimistic I’ve been as a Rams fan for 4 or 5 seasons.

thank you Mel, Frank, Jody, Shay, Darren and the rest of the back room team for a great season.

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

Very harsh on Malone that 

We have paid £3m for a 28 yr old left back who is the 3rd best LB at the club. If we were playing wing backs I would be less critical, but we aren't. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Massive effort and improvements with this.

You can really see/feel the difference.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

We have paid £3m for a 28 yr old left back who is the 3rd best LB at the club. If we were playing wing backs I would be less critical, but we aren't. 

Where have you got £3m from?

It was an undisclosed fee, and from what I can see of re-reading all the news articles from the time, no journalists even put a "believed to be" figure beside the deal. 

Couple of random (make poo up) accounts on twitter said 2.7/3 but thats just what his value was listed at on transfermarkt.com - I don't think it's actually what we paid.

Based on our financial situation last summer I'd be massively surprised if the true figure even reached £2m.

Archived