Next Season

I’m ready to move on already. With not much else to talk about over the next month or so, why not next season’s squad? I think it’ll be interesting to see what everyone thinks. To me, we’ll probably build off this:

GKs - Roos, Ravas

Defs - Bogle, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth, Lowe, Malone

Mids - Johnson, Shinnie, Evans, Bryson, Holmes, Bird

Wingers - Bennett, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Thomas

Forwards - Marriott, Waghorn

Contract extensions: Roos, Johnson, Bryson

Outs from who’ll be left: Carson, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Anya, Martin

Ins: RB cover, CB starter, CM (advanced), RW (if we loan Thomas)

I also expect a couple shock departures and a couple big loanees to come in. It’ll leave us with a squad capable of switching between 4231, 433 and 442 when necessary. 

A few youth players will feature with a few playing 5+ games and one featuring 15+ times (Thomas, McAllister, MacDonald?)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huddlestone new contract is probably the worst contract extension since Chris Martin's deal.

Absolutely atrocious defensive midfielder, and occasionally has a Hollywood pass going forward.

Brings nothing else to the table.

I don't think Lowe or Johnson will be here next season. Wouldn't mind either staying, but Johnson would have to take a pay cut. I also think we might have to sell Bogle if Frank wants some money to spend on the squad. Roos still hasn't signed a new contract has he?

I think we are sorted for strikers with Marriott and Waghorn - our youth players can provide some back up if necessary. Depends what formation we are playing, but I think we are a bit light on quality wingers and think Lawrence is much better as a number 10. Midfield and defence is basically a rebuild from scratch almost compared to what we've played this season. Although we do still have some good players on the books in both areas -think we will probably need at least one more CB and another RB if Bogle goes. Would probably bring a couple more in for midfield or use the youth teams - Lawrence is going to need some competition if we don't have Mount, Wilson, etc

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Huddlestone new contract is probably the worst contract extension since Chris Martin's deal.

Absolutely atrocious defensive midfielder, and occasionally has a Hollywood pass going forward.

Might bring a bit of cash into the club as was expected in the Jan transfer window

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Unleash Louie Sibley

Wouldn’t be surprised at all. What has been surprising was Knight on the bench again. I backed him to break into the U23s this year, but to see him on the bench in two massive games has taken me by surprise. Why no Bird? (Sibley is currently with England youths)

1 hour ago, WestKentRam said:

Got home at 7pm. Already looking forward to next season and going to games. Am sure players will come in that I've never heard of and a few weeks in will be singing their name.

Or not singing according to some posters

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Roos made a mistake. He'll be lucky if his ritual disembowelling is commuted to exile for life in Nottingham ?

He's an ordinary keeper, I'm surprised he hasn't made a big mistake before now. Let me know when he gets his international call up.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Appart from shielding the front of the 18yard box today against probably the most dynamic 3 man midfield we have played all season? I think Villa had 1 shot of note. He also kept the ball, and did feed it forwards and none of his diagonals missed!

Whether he is playing regularly or not next season, at least review his performance properly! And I believe the contract extension was his choice due to signing clauses. 

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's an ordinary keeper, I'm surprised he hasn't made a big mistake before now. Let me know when he gets his international call up.

There aren’t many international standard keepers in this division. He’s probably closer to getting a call-ups for the Netherslands than Carson for England to be fair

Next season is a fantastic opportunity for us. Releasing the likes of Bryson, Nugent, and Johnson will make way for younger talent from within the academy, or from the lower leagues. Look at Norwich as a prime example. Blooded the likes of Max Aarons and recruited well (Pukki) and suddenly they are in the prem. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There aren’t many international standard keepers in this division. He’s probably closer to getting a call-ups for the Netherslands than Carson for England to be fair

Don't think so.

Why has he been shunted from team to team on loan? He's a shot-stopper, nothing more. Did he play well with his feet today? No, nearly gave a goal away. He came out to catch a ball that he should have punched or caught with hands above his head. Looked too bothered about the man coming in on him, but also poor judgement thinking he could catch the ball low. 

1 minute ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Next season is a fantastic opportunity for us. Releasing the likes of Bryson, Nugent, and Johnson will make way for younger talent from within the academy, or from the lower leagues. Look at Norwich as a prime example. Blooded the likes of Max Aarons and recruited well (Pukki) and suddenly they are in the prem. 

There’s a good chance you may be left disappointed. Doesn’t mean our youth players (MacDonald, Lowe, Bird, Sibley, Thomas, McAllister, Mitchell-Lawson) can’t force their way in though. 

Archived