Next Season

12 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Have a feeling Roos will be off even if we wanted him to stay. He may have changed, but based off of his history he seems to move around a lot when given the opportunity. He played for 6 or 7 different clubs at youth level, moved clubs 3 times in the space of 6 months before signing for us and if I remember correctly, he went on trial/was in contact with a handful of clubs when we were interested. Add to that the fact he's had a contract offer on the table for at least 2 months that he still hasn't signed, despite it being pretty clear now he's our number 1. It just makes me think he's got an agent who will probably find him a better contract elsewhere

I suspect after today that contract will be signed in blood and arrive through Mels door next day guaranteed delivery .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next season just start with your best team each week, no trying to be clever and playing mediocre footballers. That means Marriott and Waghorn must start, build a formation around them as a front two, easy!. If Frank leaves Mel, I’m your man?

Think I'm going to get an away membership next season, how much do they cost and do you first priority on away games, or is that season ticket holders?

I live in South East so we've got Fulham, Luton and Charlton joining Brentford, QPR, Millwall and Reading. Think next season is going to be huge so few tickets available.

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I wouldn't at all be surprised if our biggest signing in the summer is a keeper. 

Roos has done well, but mistakes at wembley and Derby fans don't go well.

I think that Roos has done competently, but with our defense likely getting weaker next season with Tomori going back and the heavy interest in Bogle (hope he stays though) I think trying to improve the position should be a focus. We've been linked with multiple goalkeepers so I wouldn't be surprised if we bring more than one in and Roos (and Carson) moves on.

I think it's what he wants to do, personally. Seems odd to hold out since January while playing first team football if you're interested in staying. From our perspective it would make little sense, in our financial situation, to overpay an average goalkeeper.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was injured and Roos played. He never made any huge mistakes to be dropped for...until today. Carson IS the better keeper but there is the modern obsession with keepers playing it out from the back. Roos didn't do that today either. Might say he choked then.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing for know-alls. At the time Roos got into the team, Carson's distribution of the ball was awful. Roos has done OK and it is unfortunate that the occasion seems to have got to him  yesterday. There weren't loads of people calling for Carson to get back into the team.

Release: Nugent, Ambrose, Cole, Olsson, Bryson, Butterfield, Pearce, Blackman

Sell: Carson, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Jozefzoon, Anya, Martin, Thorne

Team for next season? 4-1-2-1-2 (Diamond)

GK: New keeper

DF: Bogle, Keogh, Tomori (loan please!), Lowe

DM: New DM Anchorman (Ampadu loan?)

CM: Holmes, Shinnie

AM: Lawrence

ST: Waghorn, Marriott

I can't help but think that we have missed a rare opportunity this season with 3 high-quality loanees.

Buying the equivalent of Mount, Wilson and Tomori for next season would be well beyond our finances; loaning 3 players as good in their positions would be very difficult.

Anyway, we'll see.

On Frank's future. From Mel's perspective it may be tempting to turn Frank and his top staff into this season's Hughes / Vydra and cash them in for £10M pre season (wild guess) before their contracts run out at the end of next season.

Morris may be balancing the attractiveness of a sale of the club with a contacted Lampard et al v the sale of the club with £10M more in the bank and the need/opportunity to bring in a new coach / coaching team.

Maybe the latter would appeal to new owners who have a pet coach lined up...

We'll see how this plays out in the coming weeks and months.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mount/Tomori here next season.

It depends on what Chelsea want obviously, but Tomori has his head screwed on and has enjoyed his time here. If he feels he can still develop here then why wouldn’t you be open to it?

Mount too, of Chelsea don’t see him as being 1st teamer just yet then we might be a better option than a Prem team he’s not guaranteed to play at. Personally feel long term he would benefit of another year and really conquer the champ before making the move up, being pushed into a top side before he’s ready could be too much too soon (but the injuries to Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek May force their hand a bit)

With Frank and Jody, we have a great card to play and even if it’s not those two I’d suspect we would be first in line considering the development Mount, Tomori and Wilson have had at Derby.

Wilson is an interesting one, I feel he’s in a different place development wise. Can see Liverpool being interested in having him around and don’t think he’s quite as vital to try and keep (that’s not to underestimate that individually he’s had a great season and deserves the plaudits).

Think we are in a good place as we have good youngsters coming through, two strikers who look to be reaching their potential, a decent smattering of experience, think Josefzoon and Evans will get more of a day next year, a settled core, a management team we can trust...oh and a returning Chris Martin too 

16 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’m ready to move on already. With not much else to talk about over the next month or so, why not next season’s squad? I think it’ll be interesting to see what everyone thinks. To me, we’ll probably build off this:

GKs - Roos, Ravas

Defs - Bogle, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth, Lowe, Malone

Mids - Johnson, Shinnie, Evans, Bryson, Holmes, Bird

Wingers - Bennett, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Thomas

Forwards - Marriott, Waghorn

Contract extensions: Roos, Johnson, Bryson

Outs from who’ll be left: Carson, Wisdom, Huddlestone, Anya, Martin

Ins: RB cover, CB starter, CM (advanced), RW (if we loan Thomas)

I also expect a couple shock departures and a couple big loanees to come in. It’ll leave us with a squad capable of switching between 4231, 433 and 442 when necessary. 

A few youth players will feature with a few playing 5+ games and one featuring 15+ times (Thomas, McAllister, MacDonald?)

Don’t want Roos or Ravas and think we definitely need another keeper. Can’t  see Frank wanting three left  backs unless he converts Forsyth to central defence or let’s Lowe out on loan again.Happy to let Bryson and Johnson go to free up big wages for new players. Jozefzoon might be Frank’s worst signing and I think Thomas, as  skilful as he is ,is too lightweight for this division. I also think we’re saddled with Huddlestone,Anya and Martin for another year because of their wages.

Lets hope Frank has targets in mind and the recruitment set up is already in action behind the scenes.No time like the present!

On 28/05/2019 at 11:55, TuffLuff said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mount/Tomori here next season.

It depends on what Chelsea want obviously, but Tomori has his head screwed on and has enjoyed his time here. If he feels he can still develop here then why wouldn’t you be open to it?

Mount too, of Chelsea don’t see him as being 1st teamer just yet then we might be a better option than a Prem team he’s not guaranteed to play at. Personally feel long term he would benefit of another year and really conquer the champ before making the move up, being pushed into a top side before he’s ready could be too much too soon (but the injuries to Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek May force their hand a bit)

With Frank and Jody, we have a great card to play and even if it’s not those two I’d suspect we would be first in line considering the development Mount, Tomori and Wilson have had at Derby.

Wilson is an interesting one, I feel he’s in a different place development wise. Can see Liverpool being interested in having him around and don’t think he’s quite as vital to try and keep (that’s not to underestimate that individually he’s had a great season and deserves the plaudits).

Think we are in a good place as we have good youngsters coming through, two strikers who look to be reaching their potential, a decent smattering of experience, think Josefzoon and Evans will get more of a day next year, a settled core, a management team we can trust...oh and a returning Chris Martin too 

And you were doing so well

On 28/05/2019 at 08:27, ariotofmyown said:

Think I'm going to get an away membership next season, how much do they cost and do you first priority on away games, or is that season ticket holders?

I live in South East so we've got Fulham, Luton and Charlton joining Brentford, QPR, Millwall and Reading. Think next season is going to be huge so few tickets available.

thats what I do - about £80 for membership and you normally get 1st dibs before ST holders ?

Things used to be even better when we had Brighton, Bournemouth and Watford........

Without a shadow of a doubt next season may turn out just to be a transitional 1 for us!

The squad needs a major overhaul and personally those that need to go are:

Roos    doesn't command the area and doesn't look at all confident on set pieces.

Wisdom

Olsson 

Johnson

Huddlestone

Blackman 

Butterfield

Martin

Nugent

Bryson    Love the guy but knocking on a bit.

Anya

Lawrence    Too inconsistent I know he's had his personal issues but not hard working enough

They all need to go and that's on top of our 3 awesome loanees would love to see Tomori back next season.

Not sure if Blackman and Butterfield are still ours or not?

Need to stop dreaming of £20 million pound players like Wilson who I wouldn't sign anyway, and focus on the lower league players that Frank can develop and utilise the players in the under 18 that have done well.

After Wembley we must have made enough money to fund at least 1 or 2 transfers and get some decent loans in again we might still have a decent side without such a big wage bill.

Hopefully Frank stay which I'm sure he will.

Archived