No VAR at Wembley

ram59

So the Football League have decided that there will be no VAR at the play off final, because it will give 'an unfair advantage'. 

Advantage to who, the wronged team in the most expensive game in football? 

It'll be a traversy if the game is decided by an awful decision, when the Premier league is to use the system in 3 months time. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ram59 said:

So the Football League have decided that there will be no VAR at the play off final, because it will give 'an unfair advantage'. 

Advantage to who, the wronged team in the most expensive game in football? 

It'll be a traversy if the game is decided by an awful decision, when the Premier league is to use the system in 3 months time. 

For a game with so much riding on it, I think VAR should definitely be used. 

How can it give an unfair advantage ? Some of the decisions and justifications by these people in football make my head hurt 

Alls well that ends well in the semi against the dirties, but surely VAR would have confirmed the penalty at PP and disallowed their second goal for offside. How we would be complaining now, if it had turned out differently. 

What made me laugh the most regarding this whole VAR implementation in England was the use of it in some FA cup matches (obviously where it was possible to stage the VAR cameras) and not others. Surely the rules of a competition should blanket every tie played, like it is in this instance, and not where the FA sees fit.

Still on the fence about VAR being used in games, especially for spectators in the ground where they will have no way of seeing what decision was reached. At least have some sort of voice over announcement to stipulate what has happened?

Back on topic though, it will be a crap scenario if we are done in by a decision against that would have been given to us under review by VAR, but on the flip side, we've gone an entire season without the use of it - it could just be one more match until VAR is used in all our matches...

Personally I'm not a fan of VAR. It slows the flow of the game down, it's totally unclear to all what's going on while a review is taking place,  it leads to more added time and is still a human decision ultimately (and open to error), Difficult to argue against it when it went England's way in the world cup mind! 

If they are going to use it though and shout about how good it is, be consistent. A game like this surely warrants it.

Pleased about it in general, can help but can be a hinderence. Don't agree with it not being a referral system a la cricket, NFL and literally every other sport going. Until it is, it's going to be a farce forevermore.

I think the problem with VAR is going to be when you get a challenge like Bogle’s peno shout in the first leg. Imagine the pressure of making that call and getting it wrong and the timenit could potentially waste

Probably the right decision at this stage, at least wait until VAR is ready and can be implemented properly, but it does make you worried they game is gonna be decided on one major issue doesn’t it!

11 hours ago, jimbobram said:

For a game with so much riding on it, I think VAR should definitely be used. 

How can it give an unfair advantage ? Some of the decisions and justifications by these people in football make my head hurt 

It’s an unfair advantage to the league as a whole I would guess. So it would need to have been in place in August for it not to be unfair. The play offs are still within the league competition.

To be honest I'm meh about VAR... Its not worth killing the emotion and bautyof the game for which is what I fear will happen. I'm in the accept the officials are human and part of the game. Like an iffy pitch, it goes against you sometimes.

I'm sure I'm whistling in the wind with that though, and I just Hooe the implementation becomes as unobtrusive as possible.

The EFL argument against using VAR is that it would not be consistent with the rest of the season being played out without VAR.

Which totally undermines the FA's use of VAR in 'selected ' cup games in that competition.  

Do you think the EFL is having a dig at the FA? 

To me it's bizarre how badly the authorities are trying to implement VAR. All the footage needs to be up on the big screens so the fans see what the officials are looking at. Coupled with a cricket-style summary at the end of goal/no goal, penalty/no penalty etc. It needs to become part of the fan experience. 

I've said elsewhere the lack of VAR meant we needed two extra goals against Leeds to go through (highlights what an extraordinary performance it was). They say these things even out. Let's hope we get a two-goal headstart at Wembley. 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

It’s an unfair advantage to the league as a whole I would guess. So it would need to have been in place in August for it not to be unfair. The play offs are still within the league competition.

Sorry TuffLuff. I'm a bit dim. How is it an unfair advantage to the league as a whole? We all played under the same rules throughout the regular season. Any decision that may be made as a result of VAR in the final has absolutely no impact on any other clubs other than Villa and Derby.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sorry TuffLuff. I'm a bit dim. How is it an unfair advantage to the league as a whole? We all played under the same rules throughout the regular season. Any decision that may be made as a result of VAR in the final has absolutely no impact on any other clubs other than Villa and Derby.

Because the play offs isn’t separate from the league competition. Hypothetically over the season, what if Bristol have missed out on three penalties that would be given with VAR and that cost them a play off place, then Derby get a major decision over turned in the final and go up? We’ve had an advantage where no one else got one. The play offs is a one off game, but it’s still a part of the football league.

Archived