No VAR at Wembley

ram59

Love it or hate it, VAR gives referees a better chance of making the correct call, sometimes thats in your favour, something’s against. 

It won’t be used and that’s something we simply have to accept and move on from, I would hate for Monday nights discussion to centre around VAR, had it been used we wouldn’t have won because of this, or we deserved to win because of that.

We have won and lost at Wembley before without VAR, the decision not to use it will not determine the outcome of the game, team performances will, it’s a 90 minute game which could potentially be a 120 minute game, that’s plenty of time to stick the ball in the net more times than Villa and correct any decisions that may go against us. 

No excuses.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Coupled with a cricket-style summary at the end of goal/no goal, penalty/no penalty etc. It needs to become part of the fan experience. 

Problem with that is not all grounds have big screen TVs hence why I suggested potentially having an audible announcement (all stadiums have a PA system?) to declare what the decision was. Obviously, this would have the caveat that people still might miss the announcement anyway.

It's a tough system to implement looking through all the caveats that surround VAR.

29 minutes ago, David said:

Love it or hate it, VAR gives referees a better chance of making the correct call, sometimes thats in your favour, something’s against. 

It won’t be used and that’s something we simply have to accept and move on from, I would hate for Monday nights discussion to centre around VAR, had it been used we wouldn’t have won because of this, or we deserved to win because of that.

We have won and lost at Wembley before without VAR, the decision not to use it will not determine the outcome of the game, team performances will, it’s a 90 minute game which could potentially be a 120 minute game, that’s plenty of time to stick the ball in the net more times than Villa and correct any decisions that may go against us. 

No excuses.

If Monday nights discussion is about a ruling, that hasn’t been in place all season, not being used then we will look very silly.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

The EFL argument against using VAR is that it would not be consistent with the rest of the season being played out without VAR.

Which totally undermines the FA's use of VAR in 'selected ' cup games in that competition.  

Do you think the EFL is having a dig at the FA? 

Not saying I disagree, as it was a mess, but my thinking is that the FA wanted to use VAR in a major competition so they could see it in action. They couldn’t have used in the Premier League without going with it in August and if it wasn’t quite ready to be used then it would have proved to be very controversial at the first moment something went wrong. So they stuck it in the FA Cup, probably with the plan they wanted to use it in the semis and the final only but because a ruling would have needed to be implemented before the cup began they had to have it in the competition games where available. So it made a complete bodge of it.

Thats what I think may have happened but largely guesswork I’m afraid 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

VAR can work for and against.

Get a bad decision and no VAR and you will be up in arms. Have decision overturned by VAR and you will wish it wasn't there.

It is what it is

Sounds a bit like erm a normal referee

I'm so glad it isn't going to be in use. Ruins the game for me when they seemingly have a check after every goal. It takes away that moment of euphoria and turns it into a nervous wait to see if they can find anything wrong with the goal. It's the one aspect of promotion I don't want.

Will you still be glad if Villa score the winner but it should have been disallowed because the scorer was a yard offside?

Every time I read about VAR my thoughts go back to Thierry Henry and his "handball" assist against the Republic of Ireland which robbed them of a place in the world cup finals. 

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Will you still be glad if Villa score the winner but it should have been disallowed because the scorer was a yard offside?

Every time I read about VAR my thoughts go back to Thierry Henry and his "handball" assist against the Republic of Ireland which robbed them of a place in the world cup finals. 

I would say Maradona more comes to mind.

I am not a fan of var though.

18 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Or the goal that our Super Frank had not given against Germany in 2010.

Archived