Hey, Train/Bus Stop users... I need your help...

Mucker1884

By Jove, I do believe I've just purchased a couple of those train tickets, what!  And I've only gone and bagged myself one of those fancy E-Tickets!  This week is getting better by the day!  I hope I don't explode before Monday Teatime!

Now ok, it says summat about only being valid on London Northwestern Railway and CrossCountry services, which means absolutely sweet FA to me! Pretty sure it was all British rail, last time I went on a train... and that was The Ramaway!   

I'm gonna assume I'm ok on any any train between Derby & London that has those tyre-less wheels and some seats, and if I get kicked off, I get kicked off!

My ticket does specifically show that Derby>Tamworth>Euston from 11:38 to 13:57.

What's to stop me going to Derby station and jumping on a train to St Pancras an hour earlier, assuming that train is also a "Super Off Peak Train"?

Thanks for all your help guys.  Big shout out to @Shorty389, and big hugs to his delicious mother!

Choo Choo! 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

By Jove, I do believe I've just purchased a couple of those train tickets, what!  And I've only gone and bagged myself one of those fancy E-Tickets!  This week is getting better by the day!  I hope I don't explode before Monday Teatime!

Now ok, it says summat about only being valid on London Northwestern Railway and CrossCountry services, which means absolutely sweet FA to me! Pretty sure it was all British rail, last time I went on a train... and that was The Ramaway!   

I'm gonna assume I'm ok on any any train between Derby & London that has those tyre-less wheels and some seats, and if I get kicked off, I get kicked off!

My ticket does specifically show that Derby>Tamworth>Euston from 11:38 to 13:57.

What's to stop me going to Derby station and jumping on a train to St Pancras an hour earlier, assuming that train is also a "Super Off Peak Train"?

Thanks for all your help guys.  Big shout out to @Shorty389, and big hugs to his delicious mother!

Choo Choo! 

Do us a favour, get the number off the cab door for me.

1 minute ago, Shorty389 said:

No problem @Mucker1884 although I do believe you just gave me a sex change ?? always did fancy being a bloke though so no big deal 

Well, why didn't you say!  I've just spent all bloody evening flirting with your mother, when I could have flirted with both of you!

No point now though... I'm absolutely shattered after the stresses of booking my first train since the '70's!  I need a lie down!  

Cheers.  :-)  

Northern Line Charing Cross Branch down to Waterloo, make sure you don't get on the Northern Line Bank Branch.

After the bag drop at the hotel, retrace your steps on the Northern Line to Leicester Square from whence it's a short walk to Covent Garden for the 'we're the White Lion/Nags Head over here' fun and games.

Then get the Piccadilly Line from Covent Garden, change at Green Park for the Jubilee Line to Wembley Park.

After the game straight down the Jubilee Line to Waterloo to pick up said bags from said hotel and back up the Northern Line to Kings Cross/St. Pancreas for the choo choo home.

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Choo Choo! 

Your ticket is valid only on London Northwestern Railways (wtf) and Cross-country.

I'd assume cross-country gets you to Tamworth, and London Northwestern gets you from there to London, and vice versa.

Derby to London direct is East Midlands Trains so your ticket wouldn't be valid.

If you've booked specific legs of your journey via single tickets rather than an open return, your tickets will only be valid for those services too, unless s cancellation means you couldn't have caught your original train.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Your ticket is valid only on London Northwestern Railways (wtf) and Cross-country.

I'd assume cross-country gets you to Tamworth, and London Northwestern gets you from there to London, and vice versa.

Derby to London direct is East Midlands Trains so your ticket wouldn't be valid.

If you've booked specific legs of your journey via single tickets rather than an open return, your tickets will only be valid for those services too, unless s cancellation means you couldn't have caught your original train.

Cheers Rev.

Now I have my E Ticket, my outward journey specifically shows Derby>Tamworth>Euston.

The first leg is CrossCountry Trains.  The second leg (from Tamworth) is West Midlands Trains!

That suggests to me that they have sold me a ticket for a journey that the ticket isn't valid for! LOL!

Also, does that mean I can only return from Euston (presumably via Tamworth again) and not from St Pancras (presuming that is always East Midlands Trains?)

Who knew Trains could be so bloody confusing!  

EDIT:

The return is open, return in a month (assuming tied to "Super Off Peak" times?)

I can't stress enough that you HAVE to get the trains specified or you will be charged full price again for the journey.

West Midlands Trains and London Northwestern are the same company.

You have to return from Euston via Tamworth, although you can get any train time as long as it's super off peak

2 minutes ago, curb said:

I can't stress enough that you HAVE to get the trains specified or you will be charged full price again for the journey.

You have to return from Euston via Tamworth, although you can get any train time as long as it's super off peak

cheers my friend  

yer see, how is a complete novice supposed to know that two different companies are in fact the same company!  Unbelievable!

Thanks confirming the return trip requirements.  They only had one train company last time I went on one, which covered all trains, all over the country.  You just had to link the start to the finish!  LOL!

11 minutes ago, curb said:

Mine is east midlands from kirkby in ashfield to nottingham to london kings cross

Usually they are lenient, I have trains for specific times, but might go one hour earlier or later depending on times (going and coming back)

99% of the times, they are alright with that tbh

The train from Derby goes to St Pancras Station on the north side of London. Waterloo is on the south side - about 20mins extra by tube. There are no cheap rail tickets to London on 27th, rail works are slightly restricting trains so about £67 Derby to London for an off-peak return. If anyone wants to go by coach on the day go to www.footballtrips.com - but you will not get an afternoon in Covent Garden etc.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

It's not all new fangled and confusing.

The buffet trollies still sell you food that dates from the time if British rail.....?

6 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Anyone who still hasnt got a train ticket but is looking...get the train from lichfield, you can get a return for 28 quid! its only 10 mins drive from Derby. Derby to london is more than  double that

Derby to London in just over 20 minutes. I'll have some of that

3 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Well, why didn't you say!  I've just spent all bloody evening flirting with your mother, when I could have flirted with both of you!

No point now though... I'm absolutely shattered after the stresses of booking my first train since the '70's!  I need a lie down!  

Cheers.  ?

I ended up with an older woman last night. 
She looked pretty good for a 60-year-old. In
Fact she wasn't too bad at all, and I found
myself think that she probably had a really
hot daughter.

We drank a bit (well, more than a bit) we had
a snuggle, and she asked me if I had ever
had a "Sportsman's Double?".

"What's that?" I asked

"It's a mother and daughter threesome," She said

"Oh!" I said as my mind began to embrace the idea.

"No, I haven't." And I wondered what this daughter
of hers might look like.

We drank a bit more, then she says with
a wink that tonight was "My lucky night." 

I went back to her place.
We walked in, she turned on the hall light
and shouted upstairs:

"MOM! You still awake?!"

Too much for a family forum? ?

11 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

@David

What the hell is a "Bus-Stop User".  You've spoilt my thread title now!  LOL!  

Watch your language and read the forum guidelines. Lucky I didn’t just pull the topic completely ?

13 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Like said, open return Derby to Euston, you change at Tamworth on the way down but it's any train to Derby on way back. £38.50.

I looked at doing this before we beat L**ds and they were £20-odd quid! Wish I'd bought it now!

11 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

cheers my friend  

yer see, how is a complete novice supposed to know that two different companies are in fact the same company!  Unbelievable!

Thanks confirming the return trip requirements.  They only had one train company last time I went on one, which covered all trains, all over the country.  You just had to link the start to the finish!  LOL!

I believe you can take Derby-Tamworth-Euston or Derby-St Pancras-Euston (skip St Pancras-Euston) as both use East Midlands trains and both are 'valid' routes. Rule of thumb - search for train journeys from Derby-Euston, any route it comes up with is acceptable for you tot take. "Any route permitted" means you can't go from Derby to Euston via Portsmouth as it isn't a 'standard' route

If you feel adventurous try these links...

Routing Point Calculator: http://data.atoc.org/rp_calc (Derby = Derby group), (Euston and St Pancras = London Group)

Permitted Routes: http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/yellow_pages.pdf (Derby to London = NM or TV)

Route Maps: http://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps Search for NM or TV

My understanding is all that matters is the start point and finish point. Depending on how your ticket is set up, you may have to stick to routes permitted for Tamworth. That means you can go back up to Birmingham or Tamworth

Edit: Ignore what I just said. Only valid on London Northwestern / West Midlands and Cross Country means only Euston-Brimingham-Derby or Euston-Tamworth-Derby

Archived