Hey, Train/Bus Stop users... I need your help...

Mucker1884

Looking at considerably lowering my standards, and joining the poor folk on what I believe is known as "public transport".  Something I haven't used since they took the cables down in the Market Place!

So first off, here's the plan:

Sunday:  Derby to Waterloo Station (Staying in nearby hotel).  Ideally arriving lunchtime/early Sunday pm.

I'm guessing no public transport will be required Sunday evening, or Monday morning, and I suspect I'll be joining in the pre-match festivities in and around Covent Garden until it's time to head west  (I believe CG is just back over Waterloo Bridge, so all in walking distance?)

Monday lunchtime - Tube (or alternative?) From Covent Garden(ish) to Estadio de Wemberley.

Post match - Tube/train back to Derby.

Presume its Derby>St Pancras>Waterloo, and Wembley>St Pancras>Derby?

Now, I will Google of course, but I've a habit of jumping straight in and taking the first option.  As we're paying a little over the odds for the hotel (but acceptable considering the central location), I'd hate to pay £70 return x 2 adults, only for some know-all on here telling me I should have gone on Cheapotrains.com, and booked a "Bank Holiday Victory Weekend Super Ram Saver Ticket" and paid less than half that! 

So come back at me... tips... links... opinions... advice... experience.  I want times, I want costs.  Hey, feel free to book it all for me, seeing as we're all Rams, innit yoof!  Tell me what you know.  Tell me what I should know!  Teach me how to mix with these people, without looking out of place.  I want seamless, smooth, and hassle-free.

Ease and comfort is priority.  Budget comes second.

There'll be a beverage in it for any persons that offers sensible and erudite advice, providing you can find me amongst the mayhem of That London, and approach me using the code "Oy, Bamford, where's my Babycham!"

Anyone taking the p155 will be reported to Grimsby Dave.  I don't do p155 takes, and now is not the time, anyway.  There's a job to do, and it needs doing well.

Cheers.  Up The Rams. Que Sera Sera.  DNA Yoof.  Cheap Slag Army.  Start the Bounce.  Loadsa Tickets!  Blah, blah, blah!  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheapest is Derby -> Tamworth -> London Euston on cross country and west midlands trains only £38return takes 2h30m costs £38 each return. Risk being on the trains with the villa on the train home.

Use contactless cards in London for cheapest fares.

49 minutes ago, Shorty389 said:

You could do a national Express coach into Victoria.... decent times for getting there and late departure back on the Monday.... looks like can be done for around £60 total for 2 adults return 

262355963_Screenshot_20190520-181419_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d0f473b3a900e40ed2e60fd57574101f.jpg

9:05 and only leaving Derby. I'm planning on being in central London, sat down to a full english, at that time.

On the subject of a full english. Any recommendations where I can get a good breakfast while I'm waiting for the pubs to open.

20 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

9:05 and only leaving Derby. I'm planning on being in central London, sat down to a full english, at that time.

On the subject of a full english. Any recommendations where I can get a good breakfast while I'm waiting for the pubs to open.

And the same again on the Monday morning?  ;-)

27 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

On the Sunday yes.... ?

Thanks all.

So I'm on Trainline.com, and I've got this...

(Price is for 2 adults, not each)

OUT Sun 26 May

Derby to London Euston

2h 19m, 1 change

RETURN

Any valid train

Super Off-Peak Return£77.00

We’ve selected the 11:38, but you can travel on any eligible super off-peak train.

Selected off-peak trains. Return within 1 month.

Valid only on London Northwestern Railway and CrossCountry services.

A booking fee of £1.50 will apply to this transaction

I'm struggling to find any details re "eligible super off peak train" .   Can I go a little earlier?  Will I be ok to return Monday evening?  Can I jump on a St Pancras to Derby Return, or do I need to return from Euston via Tamworth?  Where do I find details re "eligible super off peak train".

I could have flown from EMA to AGP an back quicker than trawling through this minefield!!  LOL!

5 minutes ago, Shorty389 said:

@Mucker1884 click on the little i next to where it says the ticket type.... should tell you restrictions 

Yes mate.  I got that far, but that section under "Validity" covers eff all!  

VALIDITY:  Your outward journey must be on super off-peak trains on the date specified, and you must return on super off-peak trains within one calendar month. Super off-peak times vary by route - our journey planner only shows super off-peak tickets on trains for which they are valid.

As a non-train user, how do I know what is covered by super off peak (i.e. the time limitations), and how am I affected by "May vary by route"?  At this stage, I have absolutely no idea whether my ticket would get me home mid to late evening on the Bank Holiday Monday!

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Yes mate.  I got that far, but that section under "Validity" covers eff all!  

VALIDITY:  Your outward journey must be on super off-peak trains on the date specified, and you must return on super off-peak trains within one calendar month. Super off-peak times vary by route - our journey planner only shows super off-peak tickets on trains for which they are valid.

As a non-train user, how do I know what is covered by super off peak (i.e. the time limitations), and how am I affected by "May vary by route"?  At this stage, I have absolutely no idea whether my ticket would get me home mid to late evening on the Bank Holiday Monday!

Ahh. I believe with it being a bank holiday it would be any train. Let me do some digging (I.e. asking the Oracle that is my mother who takes trains everywhere!) 

Just now, Shorty389 said:

Ahh. I believe with it being a bank holiday it would be any train. Let me do some digging (I.e. asking the Oracle that is my mother who takes trains everywhere!) 

Your mother, yer say?

She sounds delightful!  

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Best  breakfast I ever had in London was at the Fox & Anchor, Farringdon. Mind you, that was 30 years ago.

Archived