Will West Brom 'rest' players?

Irrespective of where you finish for play off contention,  I believe it's the team that finds its form at the close of season to be the most probable to win third place.This is why I think Leeds are well capable of missing out and despite ourselves having failed to set the division alight could beat them.As we know from experience good fortune ,the run of the ball and level heads play an instrumental part more so than having finished 3rd or 6th.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Regardless of who they pick, playing for an outside chance of 3rd place isn’t real motivation. We are going to bring a playoff game level of intensity to this match which West Brom won’t match. This is do or die for us and who ever has the most desire will win the game given the teams are quite evenly matched.

Pity this desire were apparently capable of producing hasn't been shown in more games?

5 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Chances of promotion from the Championship based on historical data are (rounded-up):

3rd - 37%

4th - 20%

5th - 27%

6th - 17%

So it does seem that the best team gets promoted the most. If memory serves, 6th was doing disproportionately well when the play-offs started but this was just a blip. Its now over 50% success rate for 3rd placed teams in the past decade.

hopeful jim carrey GIF

The EFL rule is related to dropping players from the squad entirely. I.e. it factors in the bench. So it's 10 of 18 have to remain, unless you're forced to make more changes via injury or other reasons (such as the players going on strike). 

I don't think WBA will rest players at all, but you can drop 7 starting players and still be safely within the rules.

46 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Doesn't this mean that, if they wanted to, West Brom could still have 8 starters from out of the blue, rounded off with 3 players from last game's bench, with the bench being the other 4 players from last game's bench plus 3 starters from their last game? Is there other rules to stop this, because that seems an extremely weakened side to still be allowed within the rules.

WBA have no chance of finishing 3rd because Leeds will not lose at Ipswich.

Whether Albion will decide to rest players is just conjecture, we will soon find out though!

Seems like our performance last night was typical of our season; we can not play consistently well, even during a match. We need to produce a first half performance like we did at Swansea and maintain it for 4 more whole matches.

COYR!

If I was West Brom then I would 100% play the under 8's.

The only way to beat Derby at Pride Park is to send your first team and tell them to go balls out. 

Is it really worth it on the off chance that Leeds don't beat Ipswich?

Nah, for me it'd be the U8's at Derby and send in the fully fit and rested big guns to go balls out at Villa.

Regardless if they rest players or not, every wba player in with a shout of playing in the semis and beyond will defo think twice when going in for a 50/50. I wouldn’t want to get myself injured when the business end of the season is about to start ? 

8 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Chances of promotion from the Championship based on historical data are (rounded-up):

3rd - 37%

4th - 20%

5th - 27%

6th - 17%

So it does seem that the best team gets promoted the most. If memory serves, 6th was doing disproportionately well when the play-offs started but this was just a blip. Its now over 50% success rate for 3rd placed teams in the past decade.

That 17% includes Blackburn Rovers. I still have the nightmares.

In some ways you have to wonder if it would be worse for us if West Brom did rest key players. The first team squad wouldn't really have a whole lot to play for and wouldn't want to risk injury or suspension right before the playoffs, so probably wouldn't be playing at 100%, but players who are on the fringes of the West Brom first team would have something to prove and would go out to try and show they deserve to play a part in their playoff campaign, and I wouldn't say West Brom's fringe players are especially weak.

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

Dont they have to have 10 outfield players that played in previous games or something like that? I don’t think they can rest players without a sick note

In their match day squad they have to include 10 outfield players from the previous game. The magic word there is squad. It could mean 7 players plus 3 subs from the last match in their squad to play us, but their first 11 against us could be 8 fringe players, plus the 3 subs used.

Can we, or can we not, compete with WBA?

If the answer is 'yes', who cares what team they put out? Play the game and we'll win if we deserve to on the day.

If the answer is 'no', then even if they turn up with the reserves ready to roll over on Sunday we aren't going to win the play-offs.

2 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Regardless if they rest players or not, every wba player in with a shout of playing in the semis and beyond will defo think twice when going in for a 50/50. I wouldn’t want to get myself injured when the business end of the season is about to start ? 

Exactly. WBA need to get through this without injuries with little pressure on this match and more important games to come. WE have to win at any cost. I think the mentality will be different. They're still good, they'll still make chances and take them but in terms of battles, mentality and psychology, baggies can afford to lose this, we cant. Even if they lose and we win, they'll not be caring and they'll know they weren't full bore.

The generally consensus reading West Brom.com fan forum is they don’t mind a weaken team vs us on Sunday, reasons seem;

1. To rest key players / or wrapped them up in cotton wool

2. To spite Pulis ?

3. To meet us in the PO final and beat us for revenge for 2007

They even talk of players who played under Pulis last season laying down to spite him ?

Archived