Will West Brom 'rest' players?

If I was their owner I'd be telling my manager to play the under 9's and take zero risk of injury.

And even then I'd insist the under 8's occupied the bench.

I'm just honestly not sure if there are any laws in place now that may punish teams for doing a 'Leeds' on us and playing reserves.

Fans under the age of about 50 may well not get that reference, but I was at *that* game as I'm sure a few others here were too.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Andicis said:

No, why would they? They have a chance to finish 3rd, or failing that build momentum going into the playoffs. 

And do you know for a fact after studying statistical data that finishing 3rd or winning your last game improves your chances of being promoted, as opposed to resting players?

Or you just presume that because it kinda sounds like it should be true?

I remember going 2-0 up away at a beleaguered Blackburn team early doors in the playoffs after they collapsed late in the season and barely made it in. 

The net result was they went up after collapsing into 6th place and then won the league (I think) a year later. Our momentum meant nothing  

Fans make all sorts of wild assumptions but often they're not based in any objective reality, they just seem true  

Not sure on this one  

33 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

And do you know for a fact after studying statistical data that finishing 3rd or winning your last game improves your chances of being promoted, as opposed to resting players?

No, but I would propose that playing vs a team that finished 6th as opposed to the team that finished 5th is probably preferable, as generally speaking they are the worse team, it's not a crazy assumption. I don't need any data for that.

Baggies fan at work says they have been resting / rotating Rodrigues, Gayle and Phillips. They are worried about any of those three getting a knock. Play offs are a lottery so there is little to gain in pushing for 3rd vs risk of losing a key player ( remember George Thorne vs Ipswich?). 

If i were WBA id rather play the team in 6th than an inform Villa who they probably consider local rivals

Just think they’d fancy playing us, boro or Bristol over 2 legs & a leeds or villa over a one off game 

I can’t see it being a significantly weakened Baggies, and if a couple are rested you would think that their replacements will be busting a gut to show they are worthy of more game time in the playoffs.  We have to simply play the hand we are dealt and hopefully we will be good enough on Sunday. COYR!!!!

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

No, but I would propose that playing vs a team that finished 6th as opposed to the team that finished 5th is probably preferable, as generally speaking they are the worse team, it's not a crazy assumption. I don't need any data for that.

I guess that depends on whether the team in 6th has dropped to that position or has fought to get into the playoffs with a late burst and in form. So pretty flawed theory.

12 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I guess that depends on whether the team in 6th has dropped to that position or has fought to get into the playoffs with a late burst and in form. So pretty flawed theory.

Do you mean like Villa have? ?

7 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

I think they'd rather play 6th than against Villa so they're gonna go for it.

But that depends on Ipswich beating Leeds. Would you risk your top players getting injury on the gamble that Ipswich might beat Leeds?

15 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Are we supposed to be the inform team in this scenario? Villa are top of the form table and only had their 10 game winning streak ended by a draw with Leeds. We on the other had one good half against Swansea, really rode our luck against Bristol and for most of the QPR game looked as likely to lose as to win it. We arent exactly consistent.

Dont get me wrong i think any team can win the playoffs including us, but West Brom will surely prefer Derby over Villa. From a Derby perspective i would also rather play West Brom, as we havent shown even the slightest glimmer that we are capable of beating Villa or Leeds.

Chances of promotion from the Championship based on historical data are (rounded-up):

3rd - 37%

4th - 20%

5th - 27%

6th - 17%

So it does seem that the best team gets promoted the most. If memory serves, 6th was doing disproportionately well when the play-offs started but this was just a blip. Its now over 50% success rate for 3rd placed teams in the past decade.

Well considering the rules now make you play 10 from the previous game squad then they will hardly be resting players but it’s more about us getting our lads on the pitch and playing well 

when we played them earlier in the season they gave us lots of room to play and we did very well 

anyone who thinks Rotherham will easily lose to Middlesbrough then think again it was 0-0 at the riverside earlier in the season and Rotherham have been decent at home 

1 hour ago, Dan The Croc said:

Do you mean like Villa have? ?

Villa have got into the playoffs by going on a late surge yes (however just to be smart they are not and will not be in 6th as per my post), so they should be one of the threats. By the same account another team doing the same and getting into 6th place can also be a threat.

My point was that if the team in 6th is there after a slide then they might not be perceived as a threat.

44 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Are we supposed to be the inform team in this scenario? Villa are top of the form table and only had their 10 game winning streak ended by a draw with Leeds. We on the other had one good half against Swansea, really rode our luck against Bristol and for most of the QPR game looked as likely to lose as to win it. We arent exactly consistent.

Dont get me wrong i think any team can win the playoffs including us, but West Brom will surely prefer Derby over Villa. From a Derby perspective i would also rather play West Brom, as we havent shown even the slightest glimmer that we are capable of beating Villa or Leeds.

No not at all, I do not put us in that category. I was merely responding to the post that said 6th is the weakest link (by position) that would depend on how they got there. On a current good form surge (ie late to the party) or on the slide.

So to sum up NO not Derby

Regardless of who they pick, playing for an outside chance of 3rd place isn’t real motivation. We are going to bring a playoff game level of intensity to this match which West Brom won’t match. This is do or die for us and who ever has the most desire will win the game given the teams are quite evenly matched.

Archived