George Evans man of the match today

Day

25 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't understand people who want him to displace Hudds on the back of today's performance.

He came on, played brilliantly at centre half, a position he'd played occasionally before, and we now want to move him forward to a position he's struggled with this season?

Tomori's replacement next year is right in front of our eyes, and a part of our squad currently.

Yes it was a one off, but under the highest possible pressure he's not only survived but looked as good as he ever has.

He's a centre back now, and on today's viewing a natural one.

Yes Revel, 100%.

Thing that stood out for me, he read the game very well, his positional sense was great.

I’m going to stick my neck out here on a 1 game showing, I wonder if he reads the game better than Tomori? Obviously  hasn’t got his pace, but if he reads it as well as today, he won’t need it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

He had a good game, far better than most of us thought he would when he came on. Rightly being praised. But for me some of the defenders have been over-enthusiastically praised this season. E.g Bogle, Keogh and Tomori picking up the player awards despite us not being able to defend a cross for the last 7 months. Think the lads who do the Steve Bloomers Washing pod were expressing their surprise at the overwhelming consensus for POTY on the last episode. We still struggled with crosses/corners today despite the clean sheet.

Seeing as I’ve never played a game of football in my life but have watched hundreds I voted for who I enjoyed watching the most this season. And that was Tamori. I wasn’t thinking about how many goals we’ve conceded, just how much I love to see him play (sorry) 

He played exceptionally well today, whether that's a one off or a long term solution for the club it's not yet clear. 

One things for sure though, please do not ever let him near that midfield again Frank, stick to that and you may have found a diamond in the rough. 

Perhaps it's a case that he plays best when he's only got to play to one direction. The holding mid has to be able to see/play the game at every angle, playing at CB allowed him to concentrate on moving it forward. 

Really really pleased for him (and us too)

on his short debut I thought he looked great. Then the injury and a couple of poor cameos and I wondered what had happened to that bright start. You don’t stop being a polished footballer and he clearly had skill..... Proved it today by the bucket load by all accounts .. we have a new George to talk about. All good for me 

36 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Gutted I missed George turn into Colin Todd today.

Can't wait to watch the full 90 - ball playing centre halves are god damn gold dust. If we've got one on our hands we should go for it!

Tbf he was less Colin Todd and more Curtis Davies.. Aerially dominant and superb positioning rather than ball playing... exactly the opposite of what you’d expect from a converted CDM. If I didn’t know any better, based on his frankly abysmal midfield performances and his superb performance at CB today, Id say he should always have been a CB and all those managers who’ve been playing him in midfield have been off their heads.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Tbf he was less Colin Todd and more Curtis Davies.. Aerially dominant and superb positioning rather than ball playing... exactly the opposite of what you’d expect from a converted CDM. If I didn’t know any better, based on his frankly abysmal midfield performances and his superb performance at CB today, Id say he should always have been a CB and all those managers who’ve been playing him in midfield have been off their heads.

He was played at CB at Reading and they didn't rate him at all. I think he's got massive potential. Always have.

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

He was played at CB at Reading and they didn't rate him at all. I think he's got massive potential. Always have.

I honestly couldn’t say anything but an average championship player myself in midfield myself, but seeing him today I do wonder whether there is something in him at centre back. Properly converted to a Davies type like I say I think he may yet have something, tho perhaps that’s one for pre season not this crutch point of the season! He came through city’s academy so maybe they saw something reading didn’t?

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I honestly couldn’t say anything but an average championship player myself in midfield myself, but seeing him today I do wonder whether there is something in him at centre back. Properly converted to a Davies type like I say I think he may yet have something, tho perhaps that’s one for pre season not this crutch point of the season! He came through city’s academy so maybe they saw something reading didn’t?

Understand that. I think I focused on him because of the fact that he'd represented City at all three youth levels and my Reading mates thought he was rubbish. Being Reading fans, they know absolutely fook all about football so that was a big clue in itself.

Ref today's performance, what bodes really well is that he fronted up. It was an old-fashioned CB type performance as you yourself pointed out. Blood and guts and ye shall not pass type of deal. Contrast that to the technical ability he showed in his brief debut and it seems we may have a player who can do it all.

I also wouldn't write him off as a mid just yet as I feel certain there's loads in the tank. If he can translate that form to midfield and if Fikayo is only a bit banged up, having both in the side could be huge for us over the next 5 games.

Just now, 86 points said:

Understand that. I think I focused on him because of the fact that he'd represented City at all three youth levels and my Reading mates thought he was rubbish. Being Reading fans, they know absolutely fook all about football so that was a big clue in itself.

Ref today's performance, what bodes really well is that he fronted up. It was an old-fashioned CB type performance as you yourself pointed out. Blood and guts and ye shall not pass type of deal. Contrast that to the technical ability he showed in his brief debut and it seems we may have a player who can do it all.

I also wouldn't write him off as a mid just yet as I feel certain there's loads in the tank. If he can translate that form to midfield and if Fikayo is only a bit banged up, having both in the side could be huge for us over the next 5 games.

Indeed, let’s hope we can make something of him, wherever that position may be. RE Tomori I don’t know whether it’s been mentioned on here but I heard his injury is minor and shouldn’t be any major concern, impact only. Good news as I really feared for him, always concerning when anyone looks to have a knee injury these days.

14 hours ago, JfR said:

Would give it Roos myself, but Evans was superb today, right up there. Likely proved a lot of doubters wrong on that performance. Maybe he's always secretly been a defender at heart. If Tomori's injury keeps him out for the next few games, it will be interesting to to see if Ambrose/Wisdom comes in or if Evans keeps his place.

Excellent but would still bring in Ambrose myself if Tomori is not fit, not sure if Evans can have the game of his life twice on the trot and I would like to see what Ambrose brings to the table, heeding for instance.

Outstanding. Deserves maximum credit. That was arguably the toughest game of the season to play centre half in and he performed like that. Hope he gets another chance at centre half as if he performs to the same level, we might just have a player there! He did play centre half for Reading for the majority of their playoff season.

Archived