Next season then...

IlsonDerby

I just keeping thinking of that season when Hull lumbered their way back up to the Prem. It ain't over 'til it's over!

But realistically, I'm looking forward to seeing our academy players breaking through next year so it's only a faint hope.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why do we need to sell the players we'd ideally want to keep? The wage bill is naturally being 'slashed' due to contracts expiring without selling anyone.

56 minutes ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

Why do we always go back to selling our young players with even a slight amount of potential? I remember the let's sell Hughes for x ammount, or Hendrick. Well that got us a long way didn't it? We cannot be trusted to buy players!

Bogle has made a good start, but let's keep him and introduce more young players.

I really think the way forward is to build a young pacy squad with players from the academy, this is supplemented by a couple of signings, but no more. 

I was thinking to fund 10 players we might need to raise some cash

In an ideal world I would keep Bogle but I do think that his potential could increase his value to the extent we could buy several other youngsters

If Mel dips into his pocket again then we could just go with that and Keep Bogle

20 hours ago, Dethorn said:

GK:  Carson/ Roos 

RB: Bogle/ Wisdom 

LB: Malone/Lowe/Forsyth/Cole 

CB: Keogh/ Davies 

CM: Huddlestone/ Bird/ Holmes/ Evans/ Thorne / Johnson

RW:  Thomas 

CF: Bennett/ Marriott /Martin / Waghorn

LW: Lawrence/ FloJo

8 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

In an ideal world I would keep Bogle but I do think that his potential could increase his value to the extent we could buy several other youngsters

If Mel dips into his pocket again then we could just go with that and Keep Bogle

It's only 10 because you feel we should sell both of our RBs, 3 LBs, 2 DMs and 2 of our forward players.

Transfer fees are not an issue when it comes to P&S (FFP) as long as you can at least break even when you come to sell the player on. Wages are the issue but we're beginning to be in control of this.

The gaps will be at CB (1/2 needed) and CM (1, if 4231, or 3, if 433, will be needed). After that, it'll be a 1 in 1 out

14 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

If Mel dips into his pocket again then we could just go with that and 

But signing 10 players would block the pathway from the academy. Our better players from the last ten years have come from the academy. Our less successful players have come from our largest expenditures.

We spend a sizeable amount on the academy and while it is not going to fix everything, it should provide the club with a couple of youngsters to bring through each season. We can then focus our limited funds into buying the crucial pieces of the puzzle, quality over quantity. In our case a good up and coming cdm, CB and atm to provide a tough spine to the side. 

This would keep costs down, inspire the younger sides and hopefully provide long term stability to the club, with success following.

We so nearly got in right in McLaren's first season!

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's only 10 because you feel we should sell both of our RBs, 3 LBs, 2 DMs and 2 of our forward players.

Transfer fees are not an issue when it comes to P&S (FFP) as long as you can at least break even when you come to sell the player on. Wages are the issue but we're beginning to be in control of this.

The gaps will be at CB (1/2 needed) and CM (1, if 4231, or 3, if 433, will be needed). After that, it'll be a 1 in 1 out

I only said sell two - the others I personally feel are not good enough.

I am glad transfer fees are not an issue - I thought we might need to raise funds but if this is really the case I would take it back and not sell anyone.

1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

But signing 10 players would block the pathway from the academy. Our better players from the last ten years have come from the academy. Our less successful players have come from our largest expenditures.

We spend a sizeable amount on the academy and while it is not going to fix everything, it should provide the club with a couple of youngsters to bring through each season. We can then focus our limited funds into buying the crucial pieces of the puzzle, quality over quantity. In our case a good up and coming cdm, CB and atm to provide a tough spine to the side. 

This would keep costs down, inspire the younger sides and hopefully provide long term stability to the club, with success following.

We so nearly got in right in McLaren's first season!

I have not seen enough of the academy but what I have seen I do not think we could build around the likes of Sibley, Bird, Elsnik but I am starting to feel great hope from these responses to my post. Thanks

I was being purposefully pessimistic to emphasise the job I think Frank will have on his hands.

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

We haven’t won an away game in 2019, we’ve only won 4 home games in 2019... we’re in mid April. I’m not giving up on the season I’m being objective and taking my tinted specs off. 

See above. 4 wins since Norwich away... 4 months ago. 

Idiots? Do you mean someone with a realistic view of where the season is going rather than having blind faith that we’re gonna suddenly win 6 games in a month having only won 4 in 4 months? 

Why don’t you grow up rather than resorting to personal insults??. Back up your enthusiasm with facts/reasons supporting it. 

Don't think you need to explain yourself tbh mate, considering some of the easy run in remarks and taking things for granted this is actually based on a bit of evidence. 

People call for balance and then when people do you get pelters for it.

33 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Very excited about next season

Build a team around Bogle and Holmes, two very promising players

I'm thinking (again) why we don't give a couple of other lads some minutes in the games that are left as I have virtually written off playoffs - and we might find a couple of more promising gems. Of course, in this crazy season we'll now get a weekend of results that go our way and decide that we are, once again, world beaters about to go on a WWWWWWW streak to reach the Premier League...….?

2 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I'm thinking (again) why we don't give a couple of other lads some minutes in the games that are left as I have virtually written off playoffs - and we might find a couple of more promising gems. Of course, in this crazy season we'll now get a weekend of results that go our way and decide that we are, once again, world beaters about to go on a WWWWWWW streak to reach the Premier League...….?

the problem with the Championship is proportionately few clubs have nothing to play for.  Our situation as perpetual bridesmaids has never provided with the opportunity to experiment.  This season will be similar to many others in that we will enter the final week with a forlorn hope of getting 6th.  

4 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I'm thinking (again) why we don't give a couple of other lads some minutes in the games that are left 

Coz you can't - we can still get promoted, even if it is highly unlikely, and we have to play our best team until that is no longer the case. Otherwise, it's a bit like Ronnie O'Sullivan thinking he wants to practise left handed because he's 60 points down with 75 left on the table (yes, I know, Ronnie is pretty darned handy left handed but still).

To kind of make the point https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/47871628

21 hours ago, Dethorn said:

GK:  Carson/ Roos 

RB: Bogle/ Wisdom 

LB: Malone/Lowe/Forsyth/Cole 

CB: Keogh/ Davies 

CM: Huddlestone/ Bird/ Holmes/ Evans/ Thorne / Johnson

RW:  Thomas 

CF: Bennett/ Marriott /Martin / Waghorn

LW: Lawrence/ FloJo

Strike out = not good enough

Underline = sell

Bold Italics = keep in youth

(IMHO)

So I think in cheap transfers and loans and youth we need

2 RB

2 CB

3 CM

2 RW

1 LW

Oh my 10 players that is bad

59 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

I only said sell two - the others I personally feel are not good enough.

I am glad transfer fees are not an issue - I thought we might need to raise funds but if this is really the case I would take it back and not sell anyone.

So you want us to have a squad of 2x GK, 3x RB, 4x CB, 3x LB, 9x CM (1 youth), 3x RW (1 youth), 4x CF, 3x LW. A total of 31!!

2 hours ago, ramit said:

Why is our scouting scope so narrow?  imo, the only English signings we should do is for young players from the lower leagues.  Wage demands for English players is way too high, compared to the quality on offer.  There are clever signings to be made, but you have to spot them to get them and a top Europe scout can do that.

If Frank is adamant about playing a high tempo, short passing game, he won't find affordable players in England capable of doing that.  Our recruitment needs to improve dramatically.

Maybe we only deal with certain agents? We know that has happened in the past and cost us millions.

2 hours ago, ramit said:

Why is our scouting scope so narrow?  imo, the only English signings we should do is for young players from the lower leagues.  Wage demands for English players is way too high, compared to the quality on offer.  There are clever signings to be made, but you have to spot them to get them and a top Europe scout can do that.

If Frank is adamant about playing a high tempo, short passing game, he won't find affordable players in England capable of doing that.  Our recruitment needs to improve dramatically.

Absolutely spot on.

Norwich are the most obvious example - Marco Stiepermann for £1.7m, Onel Hernandez £2.25m, Teemu Pukki Free, Emiliano Buendia £1.35m. All for less than it cost us to buy Bradley Johnson.

Technically adept players are what we need in midfield & they are standard on the continent. Fuse that with the youthful energy & commitment of homegrown youngsters/the odd step up from League 1/2 and the wage bill all of a sudden starts to become very manageable.

There's an absolute obsession in this division with buying players with either 'Premiership experience' or'proven Championship pedigree' - it's often far too expensive, form doesn't translate to the buying club & rarely forms the backbone of a promoted side.

1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Very excited about next season

Build a team around Bogle and Holmes, two very promising players

Think Bogle will be gone to be honest 

31 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Coz you can't - we can still get promoted, even if it is highly unlikely, and we have to play our best team until that is no longer the case. Otherwise, it's a bit like Ronnie O'Sullivan thinking he wants to practise left handed because he's 60 points down with 75 left on the table (yes, I know, Ronnie is pretty darned handy left handed but still).

To kind of make the point https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/47871628

...and you say that with such certainty......when we have no consensus, even in franks mind seemingly, as to what that is...

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Norwich are the most obvious example - Marco Stiepermann for £1.7m, Onel Hernandez £2.25m, Teemu Pukki Free, Emiliano Buendia £1.35m. All paid for with the fee we gave them for Bradley Johnson.

FTFY

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Coz you can't - we can still get promoted, even if it is highly unlikely

Yeh, but I actively don't want to go up this season

I have way too painful a memory of the 11 point season still - I think the wound has healed but the scar still plays up in the cold

Fulham have showed this season that throwing money at the problem doesn't work - And we would need 8-10 new players to even compete realistically

AND I don't think Lampard is ready as a manager for that kind of pressure - He's shown moment of clear tactical instinct this season but still doesn't know his best team and at times doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players - Plus he doesn't seem to know how to change to play against the more physical sides 

The only merit I could possibly see is going up for a season of money plus parachute payments? 

2 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Technically adept players are what we need in midfield & they are standard on the continent. Fuse that with the youthful energy & commitment of homegrown youngsters/the odd step up from League 1/2 and the wage bill all of a sudden starts to become very manageable.

I think we're starting to see more coming through now though - Just look at the players who are breaking into the England set up at the moment - Plus the youngsters coming through at Derby - Bogle and Thomas I'd stick in as technically adept - Mitchel-Lawson looked pretty handy when he came on - I think Holmes has it

Archived