Next season then...

IlsonDerby

Could be forgiven for assuming the players were thinking of their holidays after last night. 

I think we all now know (mathematical impossibilities aside) which division we’ll be in next year. 

GK:  Carson/ Ravas 

RB: Bogle/ Wisdom 

LB: Malone/Lowe 

CB: Keogh/ Davies 

CM: Huddlestone/ Bird/ Holmes/ Evans/ Thorne

RW: Waghorn/ Thomas 

CF: Bennett/ Marriott 

LW: Lawrence/ FloJo 

That front 6 should be able to get us goals. 

The defence needs some sort of backup but looks fairly strong. 

Midfield is absolutely threadbare. 

A big big job for Frank but he’s not working with nothing here... 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Could be forgiven for assuming the players were thinking of their holidays after last night. 

I think we all now know (mathematical impossibilities aside) which division we’ll be in next year. 

Be interesting to see if BJ gets a new contract, I think it is possible

There is not one midfielder there that I would be happy to start next season going off what I have seen this season,  Bird and Holmes may improve but none of those players are good enough for a top 6 championship midfield.  We need to sign about 4 new midfielders if we want to compete next season, one out and out ball winner,  2 box to box similar to Hendrick and 1 creative player. As for the attack, looks pretty mediocre as well if you ask me, we will need to sign about 8 or 9 players in the summer, or we will be midtable at best next season. We may have to sell to buy, Bogle is our only asset so I wouldn't mind selling him if we could get 10 mill+ for him I also wouldn't mind selling Lawrence if we could even recoup half of the fee we paid.

You missed Fozzy and Chris Martin but it is an okay starting block.

Hopefully new investment comes before the summer but i doubt it. Frank wont have a war chest like the previous managers did.

I expect a whole raft of loans and players from league one (I highly recommed Tom Bayliss) joining maybe a few free agents being drafted in to fill the remaining gaps (Marcus Maddison is out of contract this season).

Looking forward to it. First season with close to a true fresh start.

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

GK:  Carson/ Mitchell / Ravas 

LB: Malone/Lowe / Forsyth (CB backup?)

You missed a couple of players out. Martin and Anya are also missing but I think they're likely to be axed from the squad again.

I would make only three signings in the summer, all under 24 years of age too.

A really tough midfielder, no creativity, but wins it and plays simple passes to others.

A creative midfielder, but a passer, not a player that goes invisible for 70 minutes (Barry Bannan style)

A strong left sided centre back.

The rest of the squad places should be used to give the academy players a chance. They are above nearly all other teams, so why waste time on future loans, unless it is for one of the key positions above.

3 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Hope not, did you see his performance last night. 

I saw the latter part of the game and he looked utterly lost playing piggy in the middle.  Seriously though there were a lot who were carp and I'm not suggesting he deserves to stay.  Just he goes for free and we lose money on him so you would need to replace him with somebody for free and accept that the PS loss will mean we can't recruit a second even if he was also free.  There's off the field reasoning why he may stay.  If he goes then I will believe the financial side of the club is now under control, if not, well..............

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Well we can't be relegated, if that is what you mean. But we're three points off the play offs - four accounting for GD - with six games to play.

Just to talk maths - Villa are tracking 1.575 points a game, meaning they will hit 72 points if they carry on at this rate. It means we would need to get 13 points out of 18 to pip them to the final slot. 4W, 1D, 0L would be enough.

OK, it's an ask but it's a long way from mathematically impossible. Let's not give up on the season just yet awhile.

11 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Hope not, did you see his performance last night. 

I didn’t think he did a lot wrong. 

He played it through the lines when he could. 

The problem is, the two #8s are playing too deep and the wingers are too narrow, trying to play in the pockets. 

18 minutes ago, cannable said:

I didn’t think he did a lot wrong. 

He played it through the lines when he could. 

The problem is, the two #8s are playing too deep and the wingers are too narrow, trying to play in the pockets. 

He was the only one battling, making the passes and moving the ball. Probably our best player on the night

If Johnson could eve sustain good Bradley performances for more than five games, then yeah, but he's never really done that here.

I don't dislike him and he's been a good servant to the club, but he's surely on big money considering his price tag and coming in the clement era, he's one I'd let leave for a young player punt.

1 hour ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

There is not one midfielder there that I would be happy to start next season going off what I have seen this season,  Bird and Holmes may improve but none of those players are good enough for a top 6 championship midfield.  We need to sign about 4 new midfielders if we want to compete next season, one out and out ball winner,  2 box to box similar to Hendrick and 1 creative player. As for the attack, looks pretty mediocre as well if you ask me, we will need to sign about 8 or 9 players in the summer, or we will be midtable at best next season. We may have to sell to buy, Bogle is our only asset so I wouldn't mind selling him if we could get 10 mill+ for him I also wouldn't mind selling Lawrence if we could even recoup half of the fee we paid.

You make good points.

There isn't a single player who I would say is a 'must keep' from the current first team line-up.

I would like to see us recruiting men, not reedy lightweights. This is a physical division and we have been pushed around for years.

Two centre halves who can head a ball, a goalkeeper who commands his area and full-backs who know their role.

We need a leader in the back four who organises. Keogh is a good player at this level but he's not the man to drive us forward.

I agree that we need a busy midfield that works hard and supports those behind and in front of them.

Upfront we need a taller forward to supplement the current crop.

We have stopped passing and started flicks which have a low success rate.

Pass to your teammates and you tend to do quite well. There was an unassuming manager in the seventies who had that ethos. 

All of this requires a complete overhaul of the squad. Recent seasons have shown our players are not popular. We have become associated with being a bottler club.

It won't be easy, especially with FFP, and we might have to take a punt on a few from lower divisions, where industry and energy abound.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If Johnson could eve sustain good Bradley performances for more than five games, then yeah, but he's never really done that here.

I don't dislike him and he's been a good servant to the club, but he's surely on big money considering his price tag and coming in the clement era, he's one I'd let leave for a young player punt.

price tag is not his fault, salary well he's not going to be on the same money next year wherever he goes

With the way we're looking to play, that midfield is the absolute key to all of it. Way too many times this season the opposition has left our centre backs with the ball, marked the full backs and so the only option is to give it to a midfielder who comes short or hoof it long. The problem is, players like Johnson and Bryson usually just come short, receive the ball and give it straight back to defence. It achieves nothing apart from boosting our possession stat a bit. Mount usually tries to turn with the ball and get us going, but when he's off his game or the opposition have him man-marked we need someone else to help out and they just never do. Add to that the fact Mount likely won't be here next year and we have literally no one apart from maybe Holmes who can do that for us. 

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

What about Martin? His contract runs out in 2042 doesn’t it; ?

Only places I can see that need transfers is a good solid young CB tomori maybe?? Seems to enjoy life here more than the other 2. The midfield should be built around Holmes in my opinion. He’ll need a equally good player at linking play aribo?? and he’ll need someone to play that kante role of winning the call and playing it simple someone like gunnarson from Cardiff?? The attack looks alright but I’d say we need a better right winger 100% and loan Thomas out for another season. He’s looked good at cov but still work to do. 

Archived