Avengers Endgame

maxjam

Went last night and I thought it was absolutely brilliant.  Moment's of comedy, brilliant action scenes and a huge trip down memory lane for Marvel fans. 

Only complaint i had was how load people were in the Cinema. Why the hell do they sell the loudest snacks? someone's phone beeps, its a tragedy, someone rustles a bag of popcorn and nobody bats an eyelid... (This rant makes me feel old)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, David said:

I know, back row is the best place to throw popcorn at peoples heads, more targets to choose from. You tell your mum you're sleeping at mine and I'll tell mine I'm sleeping at yours. I'll grab a bottle of Pepsi and few bags of Haribo.

You know how to spoil a guy ?

15 hours ago, David said:

I know, back row is the best place to throw popcorn at peoples heads, more targets to choose from. You tell your mum you're sleeping at mine and I'll tell mine I'm sleeping at yours. I'll grab a bottle of Pepsi and few bags of Haribo.

You really missed a trick by not updating this thread title with spoilers for the film on the day of release.

On 27/04/2019 at 13:17, AshfieldRam said:

Went last night and I thought it was absolutely brilliant.  Moment's of comedy, brilliant action scenes and a huge trip down memory lane for Marvel fans. 

Only complaint i had was how load people were in the Cinema. Why the hell do they sell the loudest snacks? someone's phone beeps, its a tragedy, someone rustles a bag of popcorn and nobody bats an eyelid... (This rant makes me feel old)

Yep. I’ll join you on that rant. 

Finally I can jump on this thread. I’ve been avoiding it for fear of spoilers. 

Loved it, but I’m not going back to the cinema to watch it. Can’t wait to be able to watch it on my 55 inch tele in the comfort of my own home. 

Firstly, went to odeon, fully booked til Tuesday. Only got limited babysitter time, so hot footed across town to forresters. We got in late (but still 10 mins of trailers before the film starts - FYI exactly 26 mins of trailers on all films (I learnt that when working at the showcase 15 years ago). 

Pitch black, but plenty of seats, so grabbed the family and sat down.

2 mins into the film a big family comes in to sit down behind me, right when we’re all holding our breath at the inevitable tragedy of the first scene. 

They couldn’t have been louder. I’ve never shushed someone in the cinema for fear of starting a ‘thing’, but I was about ready to lamp someone and would have happily got chucked out and paid for my ticket again. My shushing was not heeded. 

They chatted for the next 5 mins while they sorted themselves out. The most annoying thing, is that they clearly weren’t fans. Lots of. ‘So who’s that guy?’. duck off!!

They had bags of crisps, literally the loudest snacks possible. Through the film they were chatting, and then spilt there m&ms all over the floor. The guy beside me had to turn around and tell them to stop kicking his chair. 

Then about 10 mins into the film, another family game in looking for their seats. I guess we were sat in them, but there were tons of seats all around. We ended up shuffling down a bit, til I was about in a guys lap, then they decided to go to the row in front anyway. Just sit on the ducking stairs if you have to!!!

and breathe. Rant over. 

Great film though. I feel like putting in my preorder for the dvd right now. 

And game of thrones tonight, if my heart can take anymore death, destruction and uber battles. 

10 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Hmm, it would be interesting to see what other Avengers fans think but to me that list is very, very wrong.

Yeah, like I said, I'm strictly a casual but I'd have the last Avengers movies in the top 3. Managed to miss a coupe of the films though so probably not the best judge. For all I know, l they could be epics!

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Does Patrick MacNee still play Steed?

When people ask me what the worst film I ever saw at the cinema was, my genuine answer is the avengers. It always befuddles them. 

I have to explain that really dreadful one with una therman, Eddie izzard and sean Connery. 

Worst... film... ever. 

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

Hmm, it would be interesting to see what other Avengers fans think but to me that list is very, very wrong.

Agreed, common knowledge ranks both 'Hulk' 'films' as the bottom feeders, it's the only ones that I do not own, that are currently available on Blu-ray.

7 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Agreed, common knowledge ranks both 'Hulk' 'films' as the bottom feeders, it's the only ones that I do not own, that are currently available on Blu-ray.

I actually really like the hulk films, nd own them both. I really like how the official mcu one, so soon after the Ang Lee one, isn’t a direct sequel, but it sort of could be, and they cover all the origin story in the opening credits, cos they know it had all been done and seen very recently. Like what they did with spider man too. Rather than rehashing the same old origin story, they just said, everyone’s already seen that, they know who this guy is, let’s get on with it. 

PS something I only learnt recently though is that in the mcu Incredible Hulk, his origin was retconned slightly. He was actually working on recreating the captain America super soldier serum. So actually there’s quite a lot of characters that have some sort of version of the super soldier serum in them, Hulk, winter soldier, red skull and captain America. 

I bloody love the mcu, it’s all so terribly clever. 

On 28/04/2019 at 22:58, maxjam said:

It's weird to say but with "just" 22 movies is difficult to do something like this. Like I've always grouped movies into tiers rather than tried to put them in an individual order.

If I were to put them in an individual order, I'm not convinced Dark World & Ultron would be my bottom 2. I don't think Black Panther would top my list either. But none of them would move up/down the list that much.
All the movies in the middle are pretty interchangeable without being controversial, but I do agree that without putting too much thought into it I disagree with this list mostly. I'd say Infinity War being 11th, making it the "middling" movie, is the one that stands out. IW is in my top 5.

I don't remember the Norton Hulk movie very well - although I remember liking Norton in it. In some ways its a shame he and Marvel couldn't work together, I get that he's power trippy but in the other movies he's made changes to scripts like American History X it's been brilliant. But you also hear that Marvel are very stubborn too so I guess there would always be a breaking point.
I like Mark Ruffalo a lot, so I'm not all that disappointed, but I always thought Norton was a pretty perfect Bruce Banner.

17 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It's weird to say but with "just" 22 movies is difficult to do something like this. Like I've always grouped movies into tiers rather than tried to put them in an individual order.

If I were to put them in an individual order, I'm not convinced Dark World & Ultron would be my bottom 2. I don't think Black Panther would top my list either. But none of them would move up/down the list that much.
All the movies in the middle are pretty interchangeable without being controversial, but I do agree that without putting too much thought into it I disagree with this list mostly. I'd say Infinity War being 11th, making it the "middling" movie, is the one that stands out. IW is in my top 5.

I don't remember the Norton Hulk movie very well - although I remember liking Norton in it. In some ways its a shame he and Marvel couldn't work together, I get that he's power trippy but in the other movies he's made changes to scripts like American History X it's been brilliant. But you also hear that Marvel are very stubborn too so I guess there would always be a breaking point.
I like Mark Ruffalo a lot, so I'm not all that disappointed, but I always thought Norton was a pretty perfect Bruce Banner.

I’m a big hulk fan, so it’s a subject close to my heart. 

Ruffaloe didn’t seem right to me at first. He’s done it so long now, he’s definitely hulk for me now, but at first he just seemed a bit too laid back, a bit too cuddly. Couldn’t really take him seriously if he said ‘you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry’ to me. 

I think Bruce banner needs a bit of intensity to him, like he could flip at any moment, and he’s always on the edge. I actually liked Eric Banner for that. If you’ve ever seen him in Chopper, he’s good at having you on the edge of your seat a bit wondering, it’s all fun and games til he flips out with no warning. 

Ed Norton was maybe a bit too capable as Bruce banner, ie he’s learnt parkour and capoera (no idea how you spell that, Brazilian martial arts), he could pull that off, but I’m not sure how he’d look in a white coat working with tony in the lab and doing the science stuff. 

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I’m a big hulk fan, so it’s a subject close to my heart. 

Ruffaloe didn’t seem right to me at first. He’s done it so long now, he’s definitely hulk for me now, but at first he just seemed a bit too laid back, a bit too cuddly. Couldn’t really take him seriously if he said ‘you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry’ to me. 

I think Bruce banner needs a bit of intensity to him, like he could flip at any moment, and he’s always on the edge. I actually liked Eric Banner for that. If you’ve ever seen him in Chopper, he’s good at having you on the edge of your seat a bit wondering, it’s all fun and games til he flips out with no warning. 

Ed Norton was maybe a bit too capable as Bruce banner, ie he’s learnt parkour and capoera (no idea how you spell that, Brazilian martial arts), he could pull that off, but I’m not sure how he’d look in a white coat working with tony in the lab and doing the science stuff. 

I thought it was a pretty good idea for Bruce to want to learn some basic form of martial arts, because he was living in the slums and all he has to do is get punched and boom he's big and green ? 

Apparently, one of Norton's biggest complaints with that movie (and they were numerous) was that he wanted it to be far more about the character and less balls to the wall actiony. He was looking for 145+ minutes with powerful moments like the scene (that they cut) where he shot himself (called back by Ruffalo in Avengers 1), but they reduced it to 120 minutes of weirdly paced action where the only real character development was that he'd learnt martial arts.

I think Ruffalo is absolutely perfect for Hulk, especially spoilers Professor Hulk, but less so for Banner. As I say though, not like I wish he wasn't Banner - especially now that we've had two movies where the character has really been the Hulk and not Banner, Ruffalo is really the only choice.

It’s definitely too hard to have a definitive rank of Marvel films, as too much is personal preference. Examples - Thor Ragnarok is easily in my top 3, and there was a time when it surpassed Guardians 1, but only because Guardians had been out longer and Thor felt newer. I don’t mind Iron Man 3, which is seen as 1 of the ‘less good’ and I actually think it’s better than Iron Man 2.

Endgame jumps to number 1 alongside Infinity War as a back-to-back 5 hour special. I’ve booked tickets to see it again next Tuesday, cannot wait.

7 minutes ago, r4derby said:

It’s definitely too hard to have a definitive rank of Marvel films, as too much is personal preference. Examples - Thor Ragnarok is easily in my top 3, and there was a time when it surpassed Guardians 1, but only because Guardians had been out longer and Thor felt newer. I don’t mind Iron Man 3, which is seen as 1 of the ‘less good’ and I actually think it’s better than Iron Man 2.

Endgame jumps to number 1 alongside Infinity War as a back-to-back 5 hour special. I’ve booked tickets to see it again next Tuesday, cannot wait.

Genuine question, from someone who hasn't seen any of these films. The idea of catching up now by watching 21 or 22 films, seems daunting. 

If you were to recommend say, 6 or 7, to see, excluding the current one at the cinema, which would they be? And in which order please. 

Archived