Avengers Endgame

maxjam

The Russo Bros we’re asked when it was acceptable to start talking about spoilers in Endgame, and they replied this Monday (tomorrow). With that in mind, do we want to turn this into a spoiler chat and @maxjam change the title to spoilers, or start a new thread? We’ve all danced around the main plot points admirably, but I’m seeing it again on Tuesday and I need a support group to talk about it post that!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will avoid this thread for a few days. My Marvel weekend crammer is complete and we got through.....

Doctor Strange

Ant man 

Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers Age of Ultron 

Avengers Assemble

Captain America Civil War

Thor Ragnarok (reprise).

So I'm feeling prepared once we're through a reminder of infinity war.....?

Went to see it this afternoon with the kids.

Now my knowledge of the Marvel world is limited, I've only seen 3 or 4 of the movies, so I accept I must have missed a lot of references, but I loved the Guardians of the Galaxy films, so I was optimistic.

It was almost unmitigated rubbish from first to last. How many cutaways to some bloke nodding sagely? I reckon they had a list of buttons that needed pushing rather than a script. Girl power moment? Check. Token gay reference? Check? Etc...

All I took away from the experience was slightly worse haemorrhoids than I went in with.

17 hours ago, maxjam said:

That seems to answer a lot of questions regarding the 'prime timeline' Infinity Stones situation. Assuming that "Beck" is telling the truth, which is impossible to guarantee.

If he is it also opens a pretty wide door for all the rights that Disney has acquired from Fox recently ? 

17 hours ago, Needless said:

Went to see it this afternoon with the kids.

Now my knowledge of the Marvel world is limited, I've only seen 3 or 4 of the movies, so I accept I must have missed a lot of references, but I loved the Guardians of the Galaxy films, so I was optimistic.

It was almost unmitigated rubbish from first to last. How many cutaways to some bloke nodding sagely? I reckon they had a list of buttons that needed pushing rather than a script. Girl power moment? Check. Token gay reference? Check? Etc...

All I took away from the experience was slightly worse haemorrhoids than I went in with.

You know what, fair enough. It’s different tonally to Guardians and every other Marvel movie. Fitting all those characters and their different flavours in was going to be hard, and some feel it didn’t work.

I had a similar convo today with a colleague who classed herself as a fan, yet walked away feeling a bit disappointed. I tried to understand what it was she didn’t like about the film, it just seemed to be the tone of the movie and certain bits didn’t hit with her.

It goes back to what I said after seeing it. I had to check my expectations the night before seeing it, as they reached a silly level or hype that just couldn’t be matched. And it was the best decision as I ended up loving it. I’m seeing it again tonight, and I know I will love it even more. But I can see why some people just didn’t get along with it.

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

You know what, fair enough. It’s different tonally to Guardians and every other Marvel movie. Fitting all those characters and their different flavours in was going to be hard, and some feel it didn’t work.

I had a similar convo today with a colleague who classed herself as a fan, yet walked away feeling a bit disappointed. I tried to understand what it was she didn’t like about the film, it just seemed to be the tone of the movie and certain bits didn’t hit with her.

It goes back to what I said after seeing it. I had to check my expectations the night before seeing it, as they reached a silly level or hype that just couldn’t be matched. And it was the best decision as I ended up loving it. I’m seeing it again tonight, and I know I will love it even more. But I can see why some people just didn’t get along with it.

Glad you enjoyed it fella. Each to their own and all that.

Saw it again last night. Still no spoilers by the looks of it, so I’ll keep quiet until we decide it’s time. I cried at certain points the second time. Not afraid to say. So well made. It’s cleverly constructed, and such a good tribute to the original 6 finding their peace

10 minutes ago, maxjam said:

@David is it possible to add spoilers to the title?

Not being funny, but the film has been out 2 weeks or so, if you haven’t watched it yet and don’t want spoilers, would be a bit daft to open this topic ?

6 minutes ago, David said:

Not being funny, but the film has been out 2 weeks or so, if you haven’t watched it yet and don’t want spoilers, would be a bit daft to open this topic ?

Okay fair enough consider this the watershed.

Iron man dies.

Not so bold statement - the scene with the portals is the best scene in any Marvel film. 

Bold statement (possible idiotic and driven by tiredness) - the portals scene may be one of the greatest scenes in cinema.

Honestly, the scene is brilliant. The musical cue, the build up, the tension, the action. It tugs on your heart strings while also making you want to shout and cheer with euphoria 

13 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Not so bold statement - the scene with the portals is the best scene in any Marvel film. 

Bold statement (possible idiotic and driven by tiredness) - the portals scene may be one of the greatest scenes in cinema.

Honestly, the scene is brilliant. The musical cue, the build up, the tension, the action. It tugs on your heart strings while also making you want to shout and cheer with euphoria 

The music has always been great in the Avengers, I find myself humming it from time to time!  But yeah that scene was epic, Thanos had just shrugged off a beating from Thor, Ironman and Cap America leaving them struggling to get back to their feet and facing probable death when Dr Strange and salvation arrives...

52 minutes ago, r4derby said:

The scene is made better by Falcon saying on your left Cap'n, great throw back to when they first met. 

2 hours ago, rynny said:

The scene is made better by Falcon saying on your left Cap'n, great throw back to when they first met. 

That’s the start of the scene. Cap standing there, wobbling but still standing and facing Thanos and his army, alone. Then the crackle, “on your left cap” then a portal appears. Out steps Black Panther, followed by the whole MCU. The music swells. It’s incredible.

Archived