17/18 Financial Results

Kinder

31 minutes ago, David said:

It’s only a couple minutes from 24 mins on, if you get time and come back to me, see if you think the same.

To me, it sounded very much like an example of how tight it can be, following on from Mel that the club simply can’t afford to just give away cup vouchers when one game could be the difference between being compliant with 100k being used as a number as to how close you can be when you’re right up against it.

I posted the exact quote earlier in the post after the one you quoted me in tonight.

Could be wrong but watched it 3 times now, once when it came out and twice today. Hold my hands up if I’m wrong but that’s how it came across to me.

Not sure the club would even reveal the exact number to a fans forum when they were due to publish their accounts the following week. 

I was there and I would agree with G Star at the time, I did think it was talking about our current FFP situation and that a slight change could see us breach.

However having watched it back now I think you are right.

Just shows how your mind will make up how you choose to hear something.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I was there and I would agree with G Star at the time, I did think it was talking about our current FFP situation and that a slight change could see us breach.

However having watched it back now I think you are right.

Just shows how your mind will make up how you choose to hear something.

Why I’m in favour of VAR ?

ligue 1 soccer GIF by Toulouse Football Club

Looking back at it, you can see it's an attempt to show how close to wind you have to sail, but seeing as it came from the chief exec/finance director during a public meeting with Derby fans, you can see why it took on a relevance that wasn't perhaps the point.

I certainly didn't buy a pie or a pint on Saturday, in the hope of taking over on the cheap.

Crafty buggers.

I bet the report of the Independent Evaluation is never published as I cannot in my right mind see how the stadium is valued at £80m.

Therefore I’m going to see this as a MM investment in the club.

Downside, we’re now seriously less attractive. The press reports suggested £1 selling price plus Sevco and its reported £80m debt. Now you don’t even get any assets if you buy the club unless the training ground is included.

My next question is just how much income has this knocked off the yearly revenue?? If it came under the Stadium Ltd company then maybe it hasn’t but I’m concerned from this perspective.

When MM joined he stressed how important it was to bring the Ground under the control of Derby County. Now it’s gone again. I’ll trust this is an investment tactic from MM but I’m concerned.

6 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

On another note, I was impressed with this table now that all the year end results are in. I don't understood why we are above Villa though.

Think this shows how well the club is ran as a commercial entity in comparison with clubs who draw similar attendances. 

D3Tn_llWkAAc0zt.png

I don't understand how Leeds are so far ahead of everyone else given that they weren't especially brilliant last season. 

I have over the years much preferred to have a gentle walk with the small few rather than join the majority riding on the “Mel is cool” Bandwagon.  

My gut instinct has always been he is a businessman/investor first and foremost looking to obtain a return (whether financial, or the non-financial benefits that might come from hanging out with new rich pals in the Premier League Club). He is obviously a fan, and a man of Derby, but in my view that is secondary.

Whilst he no doubt has always had the best of intentions, and might still have, his actual performance as a businessman/investor with DCFC so far looks pretty deficient. Yes he’s invested a lot of his money, but for what actual benefit (to him or us)?  And yet again on this thread I read of how great he is giving us more financial headroom, when all that has been done as far as I can see is a bit of accounting window-dressing taking advantage of a sizeable appreciation in the value of the ground. A ground which now no longer sits in DCFC’s books. A fact he didn’t think worthy of mention at the most recent Fans Forum when reassurance was being sought regarding our FFP position.

Hopefully Frankie boy can this season, or next, conjure up a team on the field that can get us up to the next level.  I’d settle for a very jammy play-off promotion, as that should give the opportunity to establish a financial reset. I think it’s needed.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Are you an actuary David? You've provided a factually correct response that doesn't answer the question.....?

HOW is it that Leeds' commercial income is so much higher?

Incredibly lucrative sponsorship?

Stadium events?

There ought to be some narrative and maybe this is what mel is aspiring to emulate.

12 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Have to agree on that.

Those comments do come across as an outright lie now.  I'd have much preferred something along the lines of "Please be assured we will be ok with regards to FFP/P&S, but unfortunately I cannot give details at this stage, and we'll have to change the subject".  He may even have got boos, tuts and sighs at the time, but at least he could have been smug about it now, and we'd all be giving the thumbs up!

They've not done themselves any favours, when it comes to the next fans forum, as we'll now have to decide what we believe, and what we don't! 

Yes. It seemed like a really open and honest forum.

but now i will remember it as the forum where they basically kept schtum and didn't tell the truth. 

Why not?

I assume that they must have thought that the fans wouldn't like the sale of the ground.

35 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I don't understand how Leeds are so far ahead of everyone else given that they weren't especially brilliant last season. 

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

They have 100,000 fans every home and away game.

30 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

All paying £50 a ticket and a tenner for a pie.......?

Plus they're on Sky 3 times a week.

14 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Are you an actuary David? You've provided a factually correct response that doesn't answer the question.....?

HOW is it that Leeds' commercial income is so much higher?

Incredibly lucrative sponsorship?

Stadium events?

There ought to be some narrative and maybe this is what mel is aspiring to emulate.

Well it kinda does as it narrows it down to advertising and sponsorship, not matchday revenue with their ticket prices and pies.

Leeds are a big club, despite on the field performances will have no problems attracting businesses that want to slap their logo around the place.

48 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

This chart is just broadly labeled "income" so I presume includes income from player sales. 

The other chart in David's post lists "Commercial Income" at 21m for Leeds vs 16m for Villa and 13m for Derby.

So they're still way ahead of us, but 'only' by 8m not 13m.

One report I read said Leeds brought catering back in house in 2017 boosting commercial revenue by 4m. Isn't Derby's provided by a separate company?

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

This chart is just broadly labeled "income" so I presume includes income from player sales. 

The other chart in David's post lists "Commercial Income" at 21m for Leeds vs 16m for Villa and 13m for Derby.

So they're still way ahead of us, but 'only' by 8m not 13m.

One report I read said Leeds brought catering back in house in 2017 boosting commercial revenue by 4m. Isn't Derby's provided by a separate company?

Was outsourced under gse I thought. 

4m a year sounds huge for catering.  Crowds not that much bigger than ours. So ours should be sort of not far short. So if you outsourced it you'd expect a one off profit of a multiple of the annual revenue. Which I certainly don't recall when gse did the deal.

12 hours ago, David said:

24 minutes in, question asked about cup vouchers. Mel spoke first, then Stephen Pearce  went on to talk about how tight it can be when you are up against the limit.  

“You can be within 100k of the actual limits which you know can change on the gate of the game or what we sell in terms of the concessions in the concourse”

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/03/watch-the-fans-forum-in-full

So it was never claimed that was the figure, and it was also mentioned the club must submit their forecast for this season to the EFL this week. 

Despite posting the profit for 17/18, 18/19 we may be up against the limit still which he could have been referring to in the hypothetical scenario above.

Really?

Lose @£8m. Then Make @15m.....for the final year to be within 100k of the £39m limit, then the projected loss for the third year would have to be a loss of @£46m.

Is it really likely that we'd have a projected loss of £46m, the year after a loss of £25m (prior to tne sale of the ground) ?

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Really?

Lose @£8m. Then Make @15m.....for the final year to be within 100k of the £39m limit, then the projected loss for the third year would have to be a loss of @£46m.

Is it really likely that we'd have a projected loss of £46m, the year after a loss of £25m (prior to tne sale of the ground) ?

Aren't the losses you're quoting there the accounting losses? 

Academy expenditure to be added back of circa £4m/£5m? (Think MM quoted £26m spent on it since takeover in 2014)

Archived