Derby County Hat-tricks in the last 23 years.

Yojimbo

As you all know, Waghorn got a hat-trick against Rotherham at the weekend as Derby hit 6 in a game for the first time since April 1996. On that day they beat Tranmere 6-2, a game which was also notable for a long time as Paul Simpson's hat-trick in that game would prove to be the last by a Derby player for 11 years. Remembering this stat got me to thinking how many hat-tricks have been scored by Derby players since then, so I took 5 minutes on soccerbase and came up with this list. It was purely out of my own (sad) interest (and having nothing to do at work), but thought I'd put it up here on the off chance someone else might be interested and, therefore, make it slightly less of a waste of time.

1995/96 - Paul Simpson v Tranmere Rovers (H), Division One, 6-2

2006/07 - Arturo Lupoli v Wrexham (H), FA Cup, 3-1

2008/09 - Nathan Ellington v Lincoln City (H), League Cup, 3-1 (After Extra Time) / Emmanuel Villa v Brighton & Hove Albion (A), League Cup, 4-1

2013/14 - Craig Bryson v Millwall (A), Championship, 5-1 / Chris Martin v Blackpool (H), Championship, 5-1 / Craig Bryson v Notts Forest (H), Championship, 5-0.

2015/16 - Tom Ince v Bristol City (H), Championship, 4-0

2017/18 - Matej Vydra v Middlesbrough (A), Championship, 3-0

2018/19 - Martyn Waghorn v Rotherham United (H), Championship, 6-1.

For anyone interested, the last top flight Derby County hat-trick was Paul Williams v. Southampton on 4th May 1991 in a 6-2 win.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Very Good - what about over 23 years

Roger Davis  at Sours in the cup and King Charles of the Pop side against Real Madrid...  

Not old enough for that I’m afraid... though I wonder if Davies’ 5 against Luton is the last time a player got more than 3 in a game.

12 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

How many of those were all in open play? I always think they are a little more special than ones with penalties in (not that I would say that to Brock's face!!!!).

Simpson, Lupoli, Ellington, Villa, Bryson (v. Millwall), Ince, Nugent (v Fulham, which I missed off the original list) all got their hat-tricks without penalties.

Martin v. Blackpool and Waghorn v. Rotheram both consisted of two penalties.

6 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

1995/96 - Paul Simpson v Tranmere Rovers (H), Division One, 6-2

2006/07 - Arturo Lupoli v Wrexham (H), FA Cup, 3-1

2008/09 - Nathan Ellington v Lincoln City (H), League Cup, 3-1 (After Extra Time) / Emmanuel Villa v Brighton & Hove Albion (A), League Cup, 4-1

2013/14 - Craig Bryson v Millwall (A), Championship, 5-1 / Chris Martin v Blackpool (H), Championship, 5-1 / Craig Bryson v Notts Forest (H), Championship, 5-0.

2015/16 - Tom Ince v Bristol City (H), Championship, 4-0

2016/17 - David Nugent v Fulham (H), Championship, 4-2

2017/18 - Matej Vydra v Middlesbrough (A), Championship, 3-0

2018/19 - Martyn Waghorn v Rotherham United (H), Championship, 6-1.

Added a missing one.

2 hours ago, Yojimbo said:

Not old enough for that I’m afraid... though I wonder if Davies’ 5 against Luton is the last time a player got more than 3 in a game.

Kevin Wilson scored 4 at home in the 5-1 win over Hartlepool on 29/8/1984 (League Cup), and 3 in the 3-2 win also at home over Bolton three days later on  I/9/1984. I may stand to be corrected, but I believe he is the only player to have achieved this feat in successive games.

On 01/04/2019 at 09:02, Yojimbo said:

I mentioned this to Roger the other week, commenting on the 2 that were wrongly disallowed or he'd have had 7 in one match! Roy Mc butted in to stop me before it "went to his head".

On 02/04/2019 at 14:05, Carl Sagan said:

I mentioned this to Roger the other week, commenting on the 2 that were wrongly disallowed or he'd have had 7 in one match! Roy Mc butted in to stop me before it "went to his head".

Did he also it the woodwork in that match

On 02/04/2019 at 22:29, VulcanRam said:

That was the one I had in mind, 92/93. Goalie (sutton) got sent off and we had the joy of seeing an outfield player (Josse) go in goal. 

Just looked it up, what a game! 

I remeber this game well for a couple of off the pitch reasons.

I was on popside and about half 2 a copper came up to me and said I had been pointed out a being drunk and he was going to eject me. With a bit of help from my new girlfriend I persuded him I'd only had a couple of pints and was capable of watching ther game. He went away and five minutes later a lad five yards behind me, in jeans and a Derby shirt just like me, fell over and cracked his head open on the terrace he didn't seem too bothered as he was so pissed. Poor police skills.

After helping me out the  girlfriend then disgraced herself. Sutton rugby tackled the striker and a hush fell as the ref reached for his pocket. It was red and there was a groan from the crowd, apart from my girlfriend who howled with laughter. We got some right dirty looks.

Andy Comyns first touch wasn't great.

Archived