The Politics Thread 2019

Day

36 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yes. The woman my wife used to be carer for said she voted leave because the NHS needs saving. She says now that she feels she voted for a lie. Every Brexit supporting leading figure has distanced themselves from that bus, saying it wasn't ever a promise.

The country is apparently already £500m per week worse off. So we've spent £500m to save £350m. How do we have less money and spend more on the NHS? 

It’s 500 mil per week because people like you won’t let it go. You might have missed this little point..WE HAVE NOT LEFT YET.

Still, keep blaming everyone else.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The country is apparently already £500m per week worse off. So we've spent £500m to save £350m. How do we have less money and spend more on the NHS? 

Its apparently 175 million a week actually.

But that's because people and politicians cannot respect a majority vote and have delayed the process by any means they can. 

But keep on blaming Leave voters. 

33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Yes. The woman my wife used to be carer for said she voted leave because the NHS needs saving. She says now that she feels she voted for a lie. Every Brexit supporting leading figure has distanced themselves from that bus, saying it wasn't ever a promise.

Well that's that then, she would definitely have swung the vote. A friend of my aunties dog walker vote Remain because she was worries about all of the redundancies that were going to happen the day after a vote for Brexit, so that's balanced that one out. There was never a promise on a side of the bus. If you read it as a promise to give the NHS then you are as thick as all of these anonymous people that supposedly voted based on this 'promise'.

We are £500m worse off due to the uncertainty caused by these ridiculous delaying tactics. Come back to us in a few years after Brexit and tell us we are £500m a week worse off and then we will have to back down and admit we were blatantly wrong, but blaming today's financial position on Brexit is disingenuous, no chance of Remain voters admitting that though, its easier to blame it on something that hasn't even happened.

32 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Everything?

The treaty as a whole?

So you're opposed to enshrining certain political, social, and economic rights for both European Union citizens and residents, into EU law?

You're opposed to a charter of fundamental rights being legally binding?

You're opposed to mutual solidarity between members attacked by terrorists?

You're opposed to expanding the use of qualified majority voting?

Or are you opposed to the mandatory introduction of the Euro and the loss of the UK veto?

Yes I am opposed to every sentence of it and what it represents.

I do not want anything to do with a European political union. 

I mean some of them things you've listed are just laughable.

Do we have to pay into the European Union to display mutual solidarity between members attacked by terrorists? ?

I'm not going to cherry pick good bits of it because to accept them means accepting all of the bad bits that go with it.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Do we have to pay into the European Union to display mutual solidarity between members attacked by terrorists? ?

I'm not going to cherry pick good bits of it because to accept them means accepting all of the bad bits that go with it.

It's as though the greatest and oldest democratic nation on Earth can't give basic rights and show signs of solidarity. 

3 hours ago, TimRam said:

This is a good post and the reason I voted leave. Having so many countries in a "one size fits all" situation (with more set to join no doubt) is asking for trouble. We already had a taste with Ireland and Greece needing financial bailouts. It's really just a vanity project for a certain country to be in charge over others.

That's an entirely unreasonable and unfounded accusation in my view.  I'd say quite a significant proportion of Leave voters share it however, at least to some extent.

By all means be against European integration and hold to the model of sovereign nation states doing their own thing.  That's up to you, but why suggest machiavellian motives to those who take the view that European integration is a sensible and natural step in our globalized world.  The notion that the EU is in fact little more than Germany's latest evil scheme to control Europe is an extreme one.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I can't see what's wrong with formalising it. 

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

That's an entirely unreasonable and unfounded accusation in my view.  I'd say quite a significant proportion of Leave voters share it however, at least to some extent.

By all means be against European integration and hold to the model of sovereign nation states doing their own thing.  That's up to you, but why suggest machiavellian motives to those who take the view that European integration is a sensible and natural step in our globalized world.  The notion that the EU is in fact little more than Germany's latest evil scheme to control Europe is an extreme one.

Some people can't stop fighting a war that ended over 70 years ago. 

7 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Whilst principle might be behind a large amount of it, to say Germany are not driven by self interest to the detriment of other member states would be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Norman said:

Whilst principle might be behind a large amount of it, to say Germany are not driven by self interest to the detriment of other member states would be wrong. 

Every nation is driven by self interest.  And it could be argued that self interest can often/usually be to the detriment of others.  That's hardly the same thing as suggesting Germany is trying to control Europe again by different means.  How much is fear of Germany informing the thoughts and decisions of the Leave voter I wonder?

1 minute ago, Highgate said:

Every nation is driven by self interest.  And it could be argued that self interest can often/usually be to the detriment of others.  That's hardly the same thing as suggesting Germany is trying to control Europe again by different means.  How much is fear of Germany informing the thoughts and decisions of the Leave voter I wonder?

Economically they want to. So what's your point? 

The more I read this thread the more I  despise the left and it’s self righteous supporters. It’s everybody else’s fault, everything is unfair. We should distribute everyone’s wealth, yet they don’t distribute theirs.  Look at you doing well, give it all to me. I’ll just sit here and wait for that billionaire to share his hard work. 

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

The more I read this thread the more I  despise the left and it’s self righteous supporters. It’s everybody else’s fault, everything is unfair. We should distribute everyone’s wealth, yet they don’t distribute theirs.  Look at you doing well, give it all to me. I’ll just sit here and wait for that billionaire to share his hard work.

Well that's a positive contribution!  Fair and  balanced too I'd say.... ?

Archived