Rule Changes (2019/20)

Ghost of Clough

Numerous new rules set by the IFAB will be introduced next season. Below is a basic summary.

Drop Balls

• Inside the area = dropped for the GK
  • Outside the area = dropped for team which last touched it
  • All other players must be at least 4m away
  • Drop balls awarded if the ball hits the ref and the ball goes in the goal, team possession changes or an attack starts

Free Kicks

• Attackers not allowed within 1m of the wall (if made up of 3 or more defenders)
  • Ball doesn't need to leave defensive penalty area for ball to be 'in play' (same for goal kicks)
  • YC/RC can be delayed if a team wants to take a quick free-kick

Goal Celebrations

• Yellow cards for illegal celebrations still to be given if the goal is disallowed.

Handball

• Handball given even if accidental when:
    • the ball goes into the goal
    • player gains control/possession and then scores or creates a goal scoring opportunity
    • player makes their body unnaturally bigger
    • touches hand above their shoulder
  • Handball will not be given for:
    • accidentally playing the ball onto the hand
    • player strikes the ball towards the hand from close range
    • if falling and using hands/arms to support body
    • GK attempts to clear a throw-in / pass but fails, he can then pick up

Kick Off

• Toss winner can choose to take kick off or which goal to attack

Medical Breaks

• 'cooling' breaks = 1.5-3 mins
  • 'drinks' breaks= 1 min

Penalties

• Penalty taker can have quick medical treatment before taking the penalty
  • Penalty cannot be taken if the GK is touching the posts, the net or either are still moving
  • GK must have part of a foot on the line. They cannot stand behind the line

Player Equipment

• Multi-coloured undershirts allowed if the same as the sleeves

Subs

• Player being subbed must leave the field at the nearest point unless ref signals otherwise due to safety/injury

Team Officials

• Team officials can receive YC/RC. If they cannot be identified, the senior coach will receive it

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like some of these.

The sub leaving the pitch at the nearest point is good for elimination of time wasting, but I feel the ref will pull the “reason of safety” clause as the poor sod could be made to walk half the perimeter of an away pitch. Much to the amusement of the possible winning home support.

If the ref does allow a dug out swap the rules must make the player run off, not walk slowly clapping to the fans and shaking hands etc.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Numerous new rules set by the IFAB will be introduced next season. Below is a basic summary.

Drop Balls

• Inside the area = dropped for the GK
  • Outside the area = dropped for team which last touched it
  • All other players must be at least 4m away
  • Drop balls awarded if the ball hits the ref and the ball goes in the goal, team possession changes or an attack starts

Free Kicks

• Attackers not allowed within 1m of the wall (if made up of 3 or more defenders)
  • Ball doesn't need to leave defensive penalty area for ball to be 'in play' (same for goal kicks)
  • YC/RC can be delayed if a team wants to take a quick free-kick

Goal Celebrations

• Yellow cards for illegal celebrations still to be given if the goal is disallowed.

Handball

• player gains control/possession and then scores or creates a goal scoring opportunity
  • Handball will not be given for:
    • accidentally playing the ball onto the hand
    • player strikes the ball towards the hand from close range
    • if falling and using hands/arms to support body
    • GK attempts to clear a throw-in / pass but fails, he can then pick up

Kick Off

• Toss winner can choose to take kick off or which goal to attack

Medical Breaks

• 'cooling' breaks = 1.5-3 mins
  • 'drinks' breaks= 1 min

Penalties

• Penalty taker can have quick medical treatment before taking the penalty
  • Penalty cannot be taken if the GK is touching the posts, the net or either are still moving
  • GK must have part of a foot on the line. They cannot stand behind the line

Player Equipment

• Multi-coloured undershirts allowed if the same as the sleeves

Subs

• Player being subbed must leave the field at the nearest point unless ref signals otherwise due to safety/injury

Team Officials

• Team officials can receive YC/RC. If they cannot be identified, the senior coach will receive it

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/786/111531_110319_IFAB_LoG_at_a_Glance.pdf

Imagine getting a booking for illegal goal celebration, only for it (the goal) to be wiped out!  Doh!

Re handball for "hand above shoulder", I wonder whether that refers to vertically higher, or higher in relation to the body (I'm thinking outstretched arms from a prone/horizontal body!)

I like the banning of attackers from a wall of three or more defenders.  Far too much wrestling going on these days!

Agree that an away sub having to walk around the pitch is just asking for trouble... of Cantona proportions!

I thought the toss winner choosing kick off or direction of play had always been the case?

9 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Why don’t they make it a new rule that the corner flag painted arcs can be extended by about 3 inches.  Drives me bloody mad how many kicks are taken just outside the current allotted area.

Come on, you know it’s the whole of the ball and not the bottom of it don’t you? ?

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

Come on, you know it’s the whole of the ball and not the bottom of it don’t you? ?

Come, hole, balls and bottom. You are letting your sub-conscious thoughts run free again aren’t you?

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Why don’t they make it a new rule that the corner flag painted arcs can be extended by about 3 inches.  Drives me bloody mad how many kicks are taken just outside the current allotted area.

How about the ball must be placed inside the line for a corner kick 

12 hours ago, i-Ram said:

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

How about the ball must be placed inside the line for a corner kick 

I agree with both of you. What I don't understand is why they need to place the ball three inches closer as if it is more likely to reach it's desired destination, and still they hit the first man!

6 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I think you are seriously discounting evolution. Back in the late 1900s a footballer’s body was such that they were perfectly capable of swinging their leg to take a corner without kicking the flag. Footballers are now much more muscle toned, albeit looser limbed. It seems it is impossible for them to not go arse over tit without that extra 3 inches of gained space.

p.s. There are still a small few capable of hitting the ball out of the arc, but they will be the poor mites who quickly take a short corner.

I don't have an issue with any of those changes, on the face of it.

Think they all make sense.

Be interesting if the GK's do ever have any part of a foot on the line, hard to imagine they wont all continue to jump forward.

15 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I thought the toss winner choosing kick off or direction of play had always been the case?

Me too - can anyone confirm where we've got it wrong?

15 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Imagine getting a booking for illegal goal celebration, only for it (the goal) to be wiped out!  Doh! 

Ha - yeah. I guess this one has VAR in mind, where we will see a lot more goals scored, celebrated and then disallowed

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

GK attempts to clear a throw-in / pass but fails, he can then pick up

An interesting one - I wonder if we'll see any goalies flaunt this one by deliberately messing up a clearance and then picking it up? I can't say I ever remember this situation arising though.

Surprised there are no changes regarding offside  - I'd like to see it changed so that if the ball doesn't leave your half and the attacker runs back into his own half to collect the ball, then it can't be offside. It always seems pointless when refs have to gove offside in that situation

28 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Toss winner always kicked off. Loser picked sides. I think.

When are they going to re-introduce penalties?

they used to be awarded for a foul in the box.

it was quite a good idea. 

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Toss winner always kicked off. Loser picked sides. I think.

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Ha - yeah. I guess this one has VAR in mind, where we will see a lot more goals scored, celebrated and then disallowed

An interesting one - I wonder if we'll see any goalies flaunt this one by deliberately messing up a clearance and then picking it up? I can't say I ever remember this situation arising though.

Surprised there are no changes regarding offside  - I'd like to see it changed so that if the ball doesn't leave your half and the attacker runs back into his own half to collect the ball, then it can't be offside. It always seems pointless when refs have to gove offside in that situation

I can.

The winner of the toss chooses ends.

The loser of the toss always kicks off.

This is because choosing an ends is deemed a bigger advantage than kicking off.

Not d

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

I can.

Not doubting you're correct but it does surprise me how rarely we end up kicking towards the North Stand in the second half.

Either we're very good at winning the toss or opposition teams don't believe we achieve an advantage by kicking towards the SS. Come to think of it, it seems rare for the two teams to ever change ends at any game so, perhaps it's not such an advantage after all.

If I was a captain of the away team I think I'd always change just to annoy/disrupt the home team.

23 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Numerous new rules set by the IFAB will be introduced next season. Below is a basic 

Handball

Has Kenny Burns changed his name by deed poll to "handball" yet?

?

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I can.

A very quick google seems to hint at you being 100% correct, sir!

Having played football every single day (although not always to the rules!) between 1972 and 1980, and then weekly for a few years after that (always to the rules!) I'm a little embarrassed to admit that either:

A/ I did not not know that, or

B/  I did know it, but had forgotten!

On 15/03/2019 at 02:30, AndyinLiverpool said:

Doesn't that go against one of the important principles of the game - that the whole of the ball should be over the line? As long as part of the ball breaks the plane of the line, it is in.

So why do they make them put a penalty on the penalty spot and not breaking the plane of the line?

Archived