Anybody else see Sheff Wed game as a local derby?

Bob The Badger

Forest, Leeds, the Sheffield clubs and villa are probs my home games I look forward to, although you imagine stoke will bring a sell out. Just cause you know they will always bring a following, make the atmosphere better and usually mean you’re in for a decentish game.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I think it's maybe because I was born in Bakewell and used to frequent Sheffield for nightlife until my mid 20's, but I have always despised Wednesday (a lot more than United for some weird reason).

Same for me & for much the same reason - grew up in Baslow & frequented Sheffield. One of my school friends was a massive Wendys fan - and annoyingly vocal about it, so I always preferred United.

50 miles stadium to stadium.

If you’re going to say Sheffield Wednesday is a local Derby, so are Birmingham, Coventry, West Brom, Aston Villa, Wolves, Stoke, Rotherham....you may as well thrown Lincoln in as well and erm Leicester.

Not having it, even if technically every game of ours is a Derby game if you think about it anyway.

They are across the border into oooh arrr land, with their oooh arrr Derby’s v United, Barnsley, Rotherham, Barnsley, Leeds and that. 

It’s always a well attendended game being under an hour away as are other games listed above, it’s also an ideal opportunity for them to pinch our songs. Have you seen them try to copy our bounce? Bless em.

Not really a local derby but my sister moved to Dronfield (near Ches Vegas and Sheff) where there's a real melting pot of Derby, Wendies, Blades in the area. 

Can see your logic but I'd see them as just a local club for a good away day like a Stoke, West Brom, Birmingham etc. 

38 minutes ago, David said:

If you’re going to say Sheffield Wednesday is a local Derby, so are Birmingham, Coventry, West Brom, Aston Villa, Wolves, Stoke, Rotherham....you may as well thrown Lincoln in as well and erm Leicester.

Not having it, even if technically every game of ours is a Derby game if you think about it anyway.

They are across the border into oooh arrr land, with their oooh arrr Derby’s v United, Barnsley, Rotherham, Barnsley, Leeds and that. 

It’s always a well attendended game being under an hour away as are other games listed above, it’s also an ideal opportunity for them to pinch our songs. Have you seen them try to copy our bounce? Bless em.

Stadium to stadium, you're correct. But the county of Derbyshire spreads out quite far - some parts of Derbyshire are closer to Leeds, Manchester and even Liverpool than Pride Park. Derby fans based further north than Matlock are going to see Sheffield clubs as rivals, just like those west of Derby seeing Stoke as rivals

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Stadium to stadium, you're correct. But the county of Derbyshire spreads out quite far - some parts of Derbyshire are closer to Leeds, Manchester and even Liverpool than Pride Park. Derby fans based further north than Matlock are going to see Sheffield clubs as rivals, just like those west of Derby seeing Stoke as rivals

Still not having it, same way as Burton are not our little brother. We have the likes of Angry Ram down London, next be telling us Chelsea are rivals

46 minutes ago, David said:

It all depends where you come from. I grew up about 10 miles from Sheffield/Chesterfield and 30 miles from Derby.

I was only ever going to be a Derby fan due to my dad and the fact that I lived in Derbyshire but Chezzy & the Sheffield clubs have always felt very close by, and important matches as a result.

The other clubs you mention are obviously a long way away from the deepest darkest Peak District in comparison.

Always hated Wednesday...mainly due to the fact that they always used to beat us, Mai lay in the FA Cup too...(remember when that used to be a competition people cared about?) 

It derby didn’t exist I would support the blades, proper football club, just like we used to be. 

6 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

It all depends where you come from. I grew up about 10 miles from Sheffield/Chesterfield and 30 miles from Derby.

I was only ever going to be a Derby fan due to my dad and the fact that I lived in Derbyshire but Chezzy & the Sheffield clubs have always felt very close by, and important matches as a result.

The other clubs you mention are obviously a long way away from the deepest darkest Peak District in comparison.

I grew up in the centre of Derby, spent 20 years there. Only ever been Forest. 

You mention Peak District but Chesterfield is in Derbyshire, barely hear them mentioned where we have this Burton thing being forced on us when they are in Staffordshire, guessing due to the mileage.

13 minutes ago, David said:

I grew up in the centre of Derby, spent 20 years there. Only ever been Forest. 

You mention Peak District but Chesterfield is in Derbyshire, barely hear them mentioned where we have this Burton thing being forced on us when they are in Staffordshire, guessing due to the mileage.

I think the Burton thing is just via Radio Derby isn't it?. From Wiki:

BBC Radio Derby is the BBC Local Radio station for the English county of Derbyshire, covering all but the northern tip of the county, and also serves eastern Staffordshire, mainly Uttoxeter and Burton upon Trent.

In comparison, Derbyshire club Chesterfield FC coverage comes from Radio Sheffield instead.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I think the Burton thing is just via Radio Derby isn't it?. From Wiki:

BBC Radio Derby is the BBC Local Radio station for the English county of Derbyshire, covering all but the northern tip of the county, and also serves eastern Staffordshire, mainly Uttoxeter and Burton upon Trent.

In comparison, Derbyshire club Chesterfield FC coverage comes from Radio Sheffield instead.

That’s it, works on mike radius rather than borderlines which is why I say, 50 miles ground to ground covers a number of clubs.

I’m sure it means a bit more to individual fans that live closer to Hillsborough, same applies all over though for fans that live away from the area, you want Derby to win as you’re surrounded by fans from the other club. 

Be interested to hear Wednesday fans thoughts, I doubt they see it as anything more, any Derby/rivalry should be a 2 way thing, if it’s not then it’s not. Takes two to tango.....is he still about?

Archived